FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, we've got the Season 2 thread going. Somewhere easily accessible by using that handy "Search" feature.

This is different. This is Season 2 spoiler-laden speculation for Season 3. We should, however, try to keep Season 3 spoilers to an absolute minimum - or at least properly noted. [Smile]

That said, here's a treat for all the US (for now) viewers: The webisodes have started! Titled "The Resistance," the webisodes plan to chronicle some of the time on New Caprica wherein the Resistance is formed. And the first one's up! Just in time to prevent too many deaths from lack of BSG [Smile] So go to the following link and see some familiar faces talking about... unfamiliar things.

www.scifi.com/battlestar

(NB: SciFi's got some sort of IP-checker thingy going, so there have been many many problems for people outside of the US trying to view - and this includes those crazy Canucks.)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thanks for the link.

I can't wait for the new season to come out. I'm looking forward to this and LOST with equal enthusiasm.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I love spoilers. One of my best sources:

GALACTICA NEWS WIRE

That way I know what's going to happen so I can pay attention to the little stuff!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys rock!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us outside of the U.S. I found the webisode on youtube.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Thank you, I know. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Webisode 2 is up!

So what do you think about Duck's decision? And how badly is Jammer going to take the move?

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Jammer? and Duck? Have we seen them before?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Making Middle East insurgents out of the cast is a brilliant move, and it looks like they aren't pulling any punches. I'm impressed.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Jammer's been visible several times - he was the one naysaying the Blackbird in "Flight of the Phoenix," most notably. He was also the one Cally punched when they were building the Cylon prison cell aboard Galactica in "Resistance."

Duck... has been around, hiding in the background. He was at one of the briefings and in the bunkroom in "Scar," I'm pretty sure, and apparently he was in "Flight of the Phoenix" and "The Captain's Hand," but I'd have to watch them again to see what he does. [Dont Know]

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Was hoping for more than a couple minutes worth but i suppose some BSG is better than no BSG
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami Osei-Frimpong, you seem to be equating the human survivors of Galatica with Islamofascist terrorists, and Israelis and Americans and Western Civilization in general with the Cylons. Is that really the way you see things? The Islamofascist terrorists alone are human, and Jews and westerners are non-human? That kind of attitude is 100% of the problem in the Middle East.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, did you even watch the clip? The human survivors on new caprica were hiding their weapon stores and planning their insurrection against the cylons in a church. How can you NOT make the connection?

Morality and whether or not their cause is just aside, the tactics are relatively sound for an outmanned, outgunned militia or army or insurrection

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, but once you do it, you can't complain if the other side targets such places. The Capricans are taking a risk doing what they're doing. If it blows up in their faces and temples start getting bombed, I don't imagine that they'll be writing editorials and talking to the press (so to speak) about how horrible it is that the Cylons are bombing temples. You make choices, and you pay the price.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The tactical parallels are obvious, but the clincher for me were the moral ones, including when the police recruitment poster was ripped down.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Survival of your country, one thing.
Survival of the species, totally another.

For the survival of the race anything goes.
(I guess that's the problem in the Middle-east, tribalism is so fierce they see their clans as their species.)

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

On another note, I'm still worried about the Colonials fading high-technology. Maybe now that the Cylons are in command they are supplying the means to preserve it, at least for now. As was mentioned in the Season 2 thread it takes a huge base of infrustructure to maintain high technology...an instrustructure the Colonials no longer have.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, TrapperKeeper, I watched the clip. I thought it was outrageous to hide weapons in a holy place. But just because the Capricans are using some methods of today's Islamofacists, that does not equate them. As Talperion the Silver well said, the problem in the Mideast is that "tribalism is so fierce they see their clans as their species." I might add, the problem also is that some Islamic radicals see their religion as their species, and suppose that no one else has a right to exist, and are expendable. They do not see the importance of freedom of choice, especially where choosing one's religion is concerned. It is absolutely reprehensible and totally worthy of universal condemnation that many Islamic states have laws forbidding conversion from Islam, forbidding Christian evangelism, and even threatening death to anyone who converts from Islam to Christianity. What an utter admission of the inferiority of Islam, to think it must be protected by force from people making a free choice for themselves!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

OSC has said too in his essays that the one way attitude of Islam (one man enter, no man leave) is an issue.

What I like about BSG is that they take the issues from both sides and are not afraid to deal with the contraversy.

Carrie
Member # 394

Anyone still keeping up with the webisodes?

Only 15 days left!

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been watching the webisodes (on youtube - episode 6 hasn't been posted there yet from what I can see). They have been pretty good but it is clear that they didn't get to finish the production on all of them. The sound quality is pretty bad and seems to not be totally in sync with the actors (though this could be a problem with how they were converted for youtube I guess).

The events have been pretty predictable but still enjoyable. I can't wait for the full episodes!

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayelle
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for Jayelle           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't find them on youtube... can't get them to work from scifi.com.

How do I... change my ISP so it looks like I'm not from Canada??!
...okay, maybe that's a bit obsessive.

Edit: Nevermind. It helps if you spell "galactica" and not "galatica"

Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What an utter admission of the inferiority of Islam, to think it must be protected by force from people making a free choice for themselves!
Hm. Would you say that any religion which puts people to death for belonging to another religion is admitting its inferiority?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

I thought I was all caught up on season 2, but I just found out I had missed the last few eps.......now I have to find them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
They do not see the importance of freedom of choice, especially where choosing one's religion is concerned.
For a bulk of history, and even for me right now, the idea of choosing your religion is absurd.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::intrigued::

Why is it absurd for you right now, Irami?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Hm. Would you say that any religion which puts people to death for belonging to another religion is admitting its inferiority?

I'm not him, but my answer would be "yes" [Smile]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Don't think I've seen this floating around here yet, so here it is.

Funny stuff. Wait for the "knock knock" joke part.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Noemon,

The idea is profoundly arrogant. It places man's choice above God. I can understand someone choosing to obey or disobey God, even someone who believes that their intuitions of God may be faulty, and therefore has to have faith in their cloudy, often erroneous intuitions.

But to think that God's existence is a function of man's choice seems deeply blasphemous, that is, the idea that, "I am a Christian because I want to be one" is awful. The whole business of choosing ones religion according to ones fancy degrades religion in a deep way.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I use the term "chosing a religion", it's a shorthand for "searching for a religion that resonates with me". Does doing that seem arrogant to you?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

A bit, but as long as it doesn't devolve to picking a religion because it's the one that gives you what you want, like say, power-steering and bucket seats.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Irami:

Why would God's existence be a function of your choice of religion even if you had a choice?

God's existence or non-existence is dependent only on what is the "true" state of the universe (for lack of a better word).

The way I see it, religion is just a codified set of beliefs about the "true" state.
Ideally, you determine logically what is the true state of things for yourself and then pick a religion that matches.
More realistically, other people pursuade/force you to their belief in the state of the universe.

But if you have a free choice, good for you, I don't see how arrogance works into this.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

I think we should be more concerned with what is really true, than with what we want. That is what religion should be: what is really true. If that is what it is, then it is the most important thing in the universe. We dare not put road blocks in its way. We must allow people the freedom to choose the truth, whether we know what the truth is or not. We must not be arrogant about it, in case we are wrong.

I have said before and maintain, that the fulfilled prophecies of the Bible are the most convincing, objective proof we could possibly seek for finding out which religion is the truth. Only the true God who knows and controls the future, could give us a religion based on fulfilled prophecies.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hear hear Mucus.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Irami Osei-Frimpong: Why not choose your religion based on what it gives you? Regardless of which one you choose, thousands, if not millions of people will agree that you've chosen the right one.

If there is only One True Religion, chances are good that no matter which one you belong to, you're wrong. Since it's a crap shoot, might as well belong to one which fits your morality, style of life, and reasoning.

OT: Man, I am so excited about Season 3. I only really watch LOST and BSG, so I'm getting pretty edgy after so long with nothing to watch.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Sorry to continue the on-topic-ness here...

... but how does everyone like the EW cover this week? And the massive 6-page article on BSG? Glad to see it getting so much positive press. [Smile]

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Winning the Peabody probably has a lot to do with it. But I'm glad its getting so much positive media attentilon, means that it has a hope of staying on the air for a while and maybe it could help the whoel SciFi genre in general.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.