FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite "difficult" novel? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite "difficult" novel?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated Anna Karenina. I thought it should have ended halfway through when it was obvious the affair wasn't working and her husband was willing to take her back. After that, I didn't even feel the tiny bit of sympathy I'd had for her previously.

I have real problems with adultry.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the book. I hated the CHARACTER Anna Karenina... I couldn't wait for her to die. But the rest of the book I enjoyed immensely.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Difficult in these various contexts can be good or bad or neither, but in reading LOTR, I called it difficult in the negative, because I found myself teary eyed at the thought of another discussion of someplace I had never heard of and would care nothing about in an hour. This aspect would not make the book difficult for everyone, so it is a value judgement pertaining to my own experience with the book, rather than a general observation.
Very helpful and insightful, Orincoro. Thanks.

I'm glad you mentioned Rand, Lisa! I devoured Fountainhead and loved it; but there's a copy of Atlas around here somewhere that I have started four or five times. *shrug* I'll get going on it eventually, but right now I feel it's one of those "classics I should have read" -- and not in a good way [Smile]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to me how different people consider different books "difficult." I loved Perdido Street Station, Lord of Light, and LOTR, but for the life of me I can't keep interest in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, or The Baroque Cycle. I got about 300 pages into each one, and while the writing is pretty, just nothing is going on, and what is going on is complicated and doesn't seem to make much difference.

The entire series that begins with A Game of Thrones is one of my favorite sets of books ever. So much great stuff happens, you get to know the characters so well and care about them, it's just awesome. If you only read 30 pages, you're missing out.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked War and Peace, but it took me a year to read it. Nothing else but the Bible (cover to cover) has ever taken me that long.

Come to think of it, the Bible might be the one to actually get my vote.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
The most difficult I ever read was called 'Mei' (May) and was written by Herman Gorter. You've probably never heard about it. It's a poem that spans a length of 180 pages. I spent an entire two weeks holiday working my way through it and it'll be a long before I'll read that again.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"Difficult" can indeed have more than one meaning.

Let's see. Lord of the Rings was boring, that's why it was difficult. I really wanted to read it before the movies, and I managed to, but those descriptions almost killed it for me. Oh, and as I said in another thread, it dragged the ending like it was a "pay-by-the-page" kind of book.

Lem's Memoirs in a bathtub is difficult because it is full of contradictions, invented words, improbable situations, etc. You really have to make an effort to keep reading it. I don't know how to describe it better, but if you get your hands on it try reading 50 pages and you'll fully understand what I mean.

Other books are difficult just because it's not the right moment for me to read them. That's how it was with God-Emperor of Dune. Of course, after rereading the whole series I found a lot of things I missed the first time, but the other books had something that could keep me interested even when I was younger. So they were "easy" to read because my mind just skipped over the complicated bits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About rereading: I don't often reread books, since I always have a huge list of "to-read" ones. But there are some I do reread. The reasons can be quite different here too.

I might want to get a feeling of the author. That's why I've reread all my Ph. K. Dick books during a holiday. It really helps me see his grand themes, or make connections I haven't made before. Granted, Ph. K. Dick also had quite a unity of style and ideas throughout his books - at least from my point of view.

Or, I'm rereading a long series if the first time I read each book as they translated it. I've done this with Asimov's Robots-Empire-Foundation cycle (14 or 15 books in total) and it was a very gratifying experience.

As I said above, I might not understand the whole book the first time: this made me reread Dune. At first. Now I'm just rereading that series because it's one of the best ever and now I'm "free" to look at all the details since I know the core by heart.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
"Difficult" can indeed have more than one meaning.

Let's see. Lord of the Rings was boring, that's why it was difficult. I really wanted to read it before the movies, and I managed to, but those descriptions almost killed it for me. Oh, and as I said in another thread, it dragged the ending like it was a "pay-by-the-page" kind of book.
heart.

So it wasn't necessarily bad editing that stretched the end of ROTK by a good 40 minutes. Seriously though, someone should have tried to reason with jackson on that one. True to the material yes, and the series deserved the oscar, but for gods sakes that ending was toooo much. On and on and on.

And on and on and on.

:music swells:

And on and OOONNN.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro: No, it was good editing. [Big Grin] They actually left out part of the plot from the book ending if you can believe it! :twitch:
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
War and Peace tops my list of favorite "difficult" novel.

I could never finish Ulysses by James Joyce. I have a hard enough time living in my own head. Reading that book is like living in six different peoples heads. And that's only 285 pages into it.

I'm honestly surprised by how many people have a hard time getting into LOTR. Silmarillion, I can understand, it took me a couple times for that. But the trilogy? Really? Maybe it's because my mom read them out loud to me when I was nine. Awesome bed time stories. I've been reading them every fall since then. It's actually about that time again, but I have to get through all this Dune stuff first. [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have finished Dante's Inferno twice--once for class and once on my own, but I can't get through Paridiso and only barely made it through Purgatoro.

Either this means that there is more fun reading to be had with the sinners than the saints, or it predicts my own post-mortality future. I am hoping for the former.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco takes unspeakable effort for me, but it's still a phenomenal book.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.