FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone for a Toronto gathering? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone for a Toronto gathering?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious. I know there's a few more of us in the region (me included), now that school's started, and it might be nice to have a meet-up. Nothing fancy, unless people really want.

Thoughts?

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I want to come. I have never been to Toronto, but it's on my list of cities to visit. *wistful* I won't be coming, but I'd like to.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on when it happens, we may be able to sneak up.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to go to a Toronto gathering for some time. It will depend on my schedule, but it's entirely possible that I could make it. If I do I'll probably drive up (from SW Ohio), and would be willing to pick up people on the way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon and Toronto in the same trip? I would have to go.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the weekend, I imagine that I could drive up. I'm not that far away.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Go? Hell, I think you'd have to ride with me. [Smile]

This is assuming that I'm able to make it, of course. When were you thinking, Eaquae Legit?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

I'm always around and available for casual (I don't have class until 6:00 today [Wink] ) or highly organized gatherings (except for one October or November weekend).

EL, I remember now. You're at U of T now, aren't you? If you're right here we should definately meet up somewhere for coffee and somewhat stunted (I mean, highly witty, of course) conversation.

Wasn't someone else (Reiko?) coming to U of T too or am I delusional on one or both counts?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
[QB] Go? Hell, I think you'd have to ride with me. [Smile]

[Smile]

Alternatively, you could drive to my place and I could drive the rest of the way. Thus we'd share the gas costs. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty wanna ride with me, ride with me....

Sorry, it made that song get stuck in my head and I had to share. Now I'll be singing it the rest of the day. And that's the only line I know.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:

EL, I remember now. You're at U of T now, aren't you? If you're right here we should definately meet up somewhere for coffee and somewhat stunted (I mean, highly witty, of course) conversation.

Wasn't someone else (Reiko?) coming to U of T too or am I delusional on one or both counts?

We're both here. And this means I'll most definitely make it for at the very least part of it.

[Edit] I forgot to add that I'm here and frequently bored, so coffee or whatever would be fun.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any particular desire to go to Toronto, but the coolness quotient for this gathering is already registering a strong 8.5.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*strongly tempted*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, do you go to every gathering?

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

She didn't come to Dayton last year, but that might just be the exception that proves the rule.
rivka
Member # 4859

Not even close. I'm not going to Billtmas! (Although that one tempts me as well. But Toronto is much more kosher-friendly that SLC. I even have new almost-relatives (my brother's new grandmother-in-law, as well as an aunt&uncle-in-law) there.)

I just like you people. Is that so wrong? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
quote:

[Smile]

Alternatively, you could drive to my place and I could drive the rest of the way. Thus we'd share the gas costs. [Smile]

That would work! I was actually addressing Kate, but I'd have been pretty surprised/disappointed if you'd wanted to drive seperately when I'd have basically been driving right past your apt.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*strongly tempted*

You know you just want to come and visit me [Razz]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Smile]

That would work! I was actually addressing Kate, but I'd have been pretty surprised/disappointed if you'd wanted to drive seperately when I'd have basically been driving right past your apt.
Really? Me! (I thought you meant twinky, too)That would be so cool! Where would I need to get to that would be "on the way - ish"?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ReikoDemosthenes:
You know you just want to come and visit me [Razz]

Why would I want to do that?
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in this most weekends. I could provide a couple couches too if anyone wants them.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Really? Me! (I thought you meant twinky, too)That would be so cool! Where would I need to get to that would be "on the way - ish"?

Let me look at a map this evening and let you know.
twinky
Member # 693

If you drive the way I normally do, you'll go straight past the Detroit airport (DTW) on your way northward.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Toledo, maybe? I'll check bus and train schedules.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But Toronto is much more kosher-friendly that SLC.
You mean a pizza with anchoview isn't kosher?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you drive the way I normally do, you'll go straight past the Detroit airport (DTW) on your way northward.

Who is going this way? Want to pick me up on the way? I'm not in Romulus, but if you're taking 94 (by the airport) to get to Toronto, I'm only a very short detour away.

I love Toronto, went there for a school trip five years ago.

(We should have a NiagaraCon)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
quote:
But Toronto is much more kosher-friendly that SLC.
You mean a pizza with anchovies isn't kosher?
It is if it comes from a kosher pizza place. Anchovies are fish, not meat.

OTOH, from anywhere it's disgusting! ewwwww!

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
That was an old joke, sorry. Many years ago I dated a not-observant (is that what you would call clueless) girl who found it fun to order a kosher pizza in Italian places. When she didn't get blank stares, she got an anchovie pizza. Actually anchovies can be non-disgusting in some foods if you soak them in milk for a day or two.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

Who is going this way? Want to pick me up on the way? I'm not in Romulus, but if you're taking 94 (by the airport) to get to Toronto, I'm only a very short detour away.
I will be, assuming that I'm able to make it. If I do this and there are enough people interested, maybe we could rent a minivan or something and all split the cost of the vehicle and gas.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm around pretty much all the time in the city, so best weekends would depend largely on everyone else. (Also, right now I am in a netless-unless-I-truck-it-to-the-library situation, so you might not see me around online too much.) Actually, on second thought, the weeks I have midterms are probably a bad idea, but since I'm still not sure which classes I'm in, that's not very helpful. I'll get back to you all on that. [Smile] Not that a weekend which works for everyone else but me shouldn't be chosen, it just means I might not make it to everything.

Teshi, coffee or tea or whatever (including stunted conversation) would be great, and you can email me for contact info if you want.

I don't have much in the way of accomodations except a bit of floor space in my room, but if you aren't too picky...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris and I might be able to come up if it's sometime after the end of Sept. (I'd go with Noemon, but it's probably about the same drive to his house as it is to Toronto.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kate, that might work. Or what about meeting somewhere near the Detroit airport?

A bit of floorspace is all I'd really need for sleeping. I've got a small camping mattress that I'll probably bring, but if there isn't enough room for it that's not a big deal.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Assuming this works out and I go, and people wanted to meet in the Detroit area, we could probably meet at my house, I'm a 10 minutes north of the airport.

I'm up for the van renting and gas sharing plan.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I already have plans the weekend of October 28-29. October 7-8 and October 14-15 are likely to be bad because I probably need to be available in case of disasters at work during the unit startup (we're shut down right now).

Don't plan this thing around me, though -- I can hop up to Toronto pretty much anytime other than those weekends, or down to visit Noemon with similar flexibility. The people coming from furthest afield should have the greatest say in which weekend is chosen.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Noemon - I'll look into flights/buses/trains etc. to Detroit and see how they compare to flights to Toronto. Spending time with you is certainly a plus, though!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Best weekend for me is probably the first weekend of November.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
You could burn Guy Fawkes effigys!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

So if we're looking around the end of October or early November, that gives us a few weekends.

There's 20-22 Oct, 27-29 Oct, 3-5 Nov, and 10-12 Nov, to throw out a few dates. 10-12 November is probably a bad idea, given Remembrance Day and all the subsequent holiday closures of fun stuff.

27-29 Oct and 3-5 Nov are probably the best for me.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I vote 3-5 November
kmbboots
Member # 8576

That looks good for me so far.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo, Lyrhawn, if you're planning to travel that weekend, would it be more expensive to go to Bloomington than Toronto? Because I called you for that weekend a while ago [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly on one of those weekends I will be unavailable... I shall find out next Wednesday which.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I might very well be interested, btw... keep me in mind for the minivan rental plan for now. I'll see how feasible it is for me to actually do this. But I REALLY want to!

Also, Noemon -- how out of your way would it be to swing through Indiana on your way up? (If not, I can always drive and meet you somewhere, but if we're doing a big minivan roadtrip thing... I dunno. I just don't know exactly what parts of Ohio you were referring to.)

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Where in IN are you, Raia? It would be a bit out of the way--the easiest route for me to take (living in Dayton, OH) would be a straight shot up I75 to 94. Any chance you and other IN people would be interested in meeting me in Dayton (assuming, of course, that we're all able to go and that the gathering ends up happening)?
Raia
Member # 4700

I go to school in Greencastle, IN. But I could definitely meet you somewhere along the way (Dayton sounds good, though I'd need to figure out where to leave my car). It would be nice to have company for the drive up, too, instead of driving the six hours to Detroit on my own. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

breyer -

Eh.errr....But Toronto is more fun! ::whines::

Noemon
Member # 1115

Your car would probably be safe at my place; in the two years I've lived here I've never had it broken into.
Raia
Member # 4700

Alright then... that might work out! [Smile] Now I just have to check and make sure I can get away that weekend (whatever weekend it ends up being).
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go, and try to make it to Dayton, but the only weekend that resembles working is November 10-12.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

November 11th is a holiday here -- since it's a Saturday, the actual holiday will probably be on November 13th. I don't know if that makes things worse or better for people, though.

I'm scheduled to be on call for work November 4th-5th, but I could probably swap weekends with a co-worker if this gathering happens that weekend.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.