FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst movie you've ever seen in the theater (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Worst movie you've ever seen in the theater
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Concur on Mars Attacks. If you are doing stupid cheese, then don't do realistic violence.

They turned people into colored skeletons... And the matrians exploded into green goo at the sound of yodeling... I might be missing some of the realism parts. Violent, I'll buy that. But fairly comic in a B-movie sort of way.

Then again, I liked Unbreakable as well. And I even managed to sit through the entirity of Battlefield Earth.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
'Age of Innocence'

I saw it with my then-good-friend, now-wife; we both fell asleep.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Unbreakable was a very good movie that wasn't to some people's tastes. I could see people going to that and really not liking it.

But, for a lot of these, I mean, come on, you people had to know going in that they were going to be bad movies.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Godfather III
American Beauty
American Psycho
Minority Report

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually enjoyed Unbreakable in my own way, but hey to each their own.

Strangely enough I've yet to walk out of a movie that I saw at the theatre. I've turned off movies that I was watching on DVD, I've changed the channel, and I've told people I was no longer interested in watching the movie we were all watching (If you force me to stay, I am not responsible for the comments that I utter out loud the rest of the movie)

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I have a hidden spider sense that prevents me from dropping $7 to see movies that are going to suck, who knows?

As for worst movies I've SEEN in the theatre:

Anaconda (I got upset the moment I read the text before the film),"Anacondas....sometimes regurgitate their food so that they can kill again"

I almost yelled out, "WRONG!!! THATS SO WRONG!"

Starship Troopers: Even if you want to argue that its a satyr on the American military complex, it still sucks as satyr. I stood up to a mean kid who liked it alot, thats how much I didnt like it. I've heard lots of claims the book is much better.

Finally, "Verticle Limit"
First movie I ever saw where all I could do was make fun of it. My best friend sitting next to me busted out laughing when the dad fell to his death at the beginning. I shooshed him for being a jerk but as soon as they formulated their plan to use nitro glycerine to save the stranded climbers it lost the last shred of sympathy from me.

HATED IT HATED IT HATED IT, and I was forced to see it again for my brothers birthday the next week [Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

...it still sucks as satyr.

Did you mean satire? Isn't a satyr a goat-man? (Nitpicky, I know)
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Starship Troopers: Even if you want to argue that its a satyr on the American military complex, it still sucks as satyr.

Satyr?
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
quote:
Starship Troopers: Even if you want to argue that its a satyr on the American military complex, it still sucks as satyr.

Satyr?
Better Satyr!
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:
quote:

...it still sucks as satyr.

Did you mean satire? Isn't a satyr a goat-man? (Nitpicky, I know)
DOH! you are right and even when I looked at the word I knew something didnt look right. Usually I am motivated enough to use dictionary.com to make sure but not this time.

I need to pay recompense for this offense!

Centaurs and satyrs are mythological animals, but rarely are they used in satire. I've read Mad magazine for many years, and though they are known for their clever satire, I have yet to see even one satyr featured in any of their pages.

Were one to use say, a satyr as an object suitable for satire, they would most likely be used to denote excess, and carelessness. Sexual excess would be especially suitable, as satyrs are known for their sexual appetites. For satiricle purposes a wino could also be compared to a satyr as satyres have a traditionally large appetite for wine. Other possibilities for satyrical satire are pan pipes or flutes, a favored instrument of satyrs, and goats, a relative of the half man, half goat satyr.

I feel much better now! [Wink]

[ September 18, 2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It's spelled satyr, not satyre. It's not a homophone for satire. Someone who knows about this will probably correct me, but the emphasis is on the first syllable and the y sound is short, not long.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Starship Troopers: Even if you want to argue that its a satyr on the American military complex, it still sucks as satyr. I stood up to a mean kid who liked it alot, thats how much I didnt like it. I've heard lots of claims the book is much better.
It's not a satire on the American military complex, it's a satire on Heinlein's novel, and it is brilliantly executed.

The novel is excellent, and a very quick read. Pick it up!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Incidentally, I liked the Starship Troopers movie. I didn't really have any expectations and it didn't disappoint. It wasn't a good movie by any means, but I found it enjoyable.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
It's spelled satyr, not satyre. It's not a homophone for satire. Someone who knows about this will probably correct me, but the emphasis is on the first syllable and the y sound is short, not long.

oh man, I had to fix my penance, stage 2 is going to be painful, Ill tell you all how it goes.
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra Violet, I am ashamed I saw this piece of trash.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I looove Starship Troopers, especially how they sneak in teenage-high-school stories into this big bloody satire. I think it's a ton of fun.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
My preface is that I worked in a movie theater for two and a half years, so movies were free, and my friends and I got a kick out of seeing terrible movies...

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Scorpian King
Crossroads...yes, the one with Brittney Spears.
Eight Legged Freaks
Country Bears (I noticed I'm not the first to mention this one...hee hee.)
Reign of Fire...*shudder*
Jurassic Park III
The Haunting

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst movie? Pleasantville.

Movies so boring I fell asleep? (Granted, I was a kid at the time and these were "the other movie" on a double feature.) Eight Men Out. The Big Blue.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Bulworth.

If you count movies I walked out on in the first 15, Scary Movie 2.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
I looove Starship Troopers, especially how they sneak in teenage-high-school stories into this big bloody satire. I think it's a ton of fun.

I've heard it referred to as "Beverly Hills 90210 In Space". And it's much more tolerable if you haven't read the book.

I still find it amusing how many movies that I've actually liked have been listed above. I'm not going to point any of them out or else I'll start heated debates; it's bad enough that every other person reverses the direction that Unbreakable is taking...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Bulworth.

If you count movies I walked out on in the first 15, Scary Movie 2.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
A.I. Very good acting, but man, the movie was pretentious, pointless and most of all boring.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

(Double post - Hatrack is possessed today...)

[ September 18, 2006, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear hansenj,

You big idiot. Scorpion is SO clearly not spelled like that. Gosh. Also, I am so insulted that you are not returning my phone calls. I have HP gossip and theories for you. If only the stipulation that you had to have seen the movie in a theater were not there, your list would be much, much better. *tweaks out a little at the thought*

And - Dear Everyone Else Talking About Satyrs,

These poor linked to creatures have apparently been to see an especially enthusiastic big animal vet, because they are lacking a rather critical piece of anatomy . . . those just aren't real satyrs.

No linky to shield the eyes of the innocent.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear hansenj,

You big idiot. Scorpion is SO clearly not spelled like that. Gosh. Also, I am so insulted that you are not returning my phone calls. I have HP gossip and theories for you. If only the stipulation that you had to have seen the movie in a theater were not there, your list would be much, much better. *tweaks out a little at the thought*

And - Dear Everyone Else Talking About Satyrs,

These poor linked to creatures have apparently been to see an especially enthusiastic big animal vet, because they are lacking a rather critical piece of anatomy . . . those just aren't real satyrs.

No linky to shield the eyes of the innocent.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:

I've heard it referred to as "Beverly Hills 90210 In Space". And it's much more tolerable if you haven't read the book.

I still find it amusing how many movies that I've actually liked have been listed above. I'm not going to point any of them out or else I'll start heated debates; it's bad enough that every other person reverses the direction that Unbreakable is taking...

Haven't read the book [Smile]

And ditto on the second point. I tend to be on the Love side of movies that are Love Em Or Hate Em types. Like, AI, Unbreakable, etc.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakin' The Ring 2.
I still want my money back.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
My preface is that I worked in a movie theater for two and a half years, so movies were free, and my friends and I got a kick out of seeing terrible movies...

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Scorpian King
Crossroads...yes, the one with Brittney Spears.
Eight Legged Freaks
Country Bears (I noticed I'm not the first to mention this one...hee hee.)
Reign of Fire...*shudder*
Jurassic Park III
The Haunting

I'm sure I'll think of more.

I beg to differ on the first two Mummy movies. The Scorpion King was not too bad.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

woah, lagged double post

[ September 18, 2006, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the movies mentioned rank among my favourites. I am saddened [Frown]

One that I'm suprised hasn't been mentioned is Van Helsing. oh god, that was bad

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
Battlefield Earth
Babes in Toyland
Stick it
Jackson's King Kong
Godzilla
The Ring
The Grudge

Oh so horrrrrriible.

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ha! No one has mentioned yet some of the stinkers I've paid money for!

Kull the Conqueror
Warriors of Virtue

I really am curious to see what can top those. Except perhaps the Country Bears, which I never ever want to see, ever, even free.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ha! No one has mentioned yet some of the stinkers I've paid money for!

Kull the Conqueror
Warriors of Virtue

I really am curious to see what can top those. Except perhaps the Country Bears, which I never ever want to see, ever, even free.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

No mentions of Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever?
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Dasa:
A.I. Very good acting, but man, the movie was pretentious, pointless and most of all boring.

You must despise 2001 then...

Bit of trivia: Rock Hudson walked out of the Los Angeles premiere of 2001, saying, "Will someone tell me what the hell this is about?"

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chronicles of Riddick.

It remains the only film in the past ten years during which I have actually gotten up to use the bathroom. Normally, I hold it and wait. Not so much during Riddick... [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Van Helsing would definitely rate if I'd seen it in a Theater. I'm raking my memory and can't come up with why we watched Battlefield earth. Must have been during a phase when we saw everyingthing that came through the dollar theater.

Riding in Cars with Boys does have a plot turn that explains why the guy she's with keeps calling another woman about how he's going to leave her any minute now. But it was as painful as Napoleon Dynamite without being funny. Unless you're my husband.

Then, I had a friend who couldn't finish Raising Arizona. She thought it was just about pathetic trailer trash. I wonder what she thinks now that most of the actors in it have won Oscars. She and I sat through "Ishtar" on video by the way. And yeah, I only italicize movies I like on purpose. Some I don't even bother putting quotes around.

Anyone who saw Ishtar in the theater automatically wins. But I'm pretty sure anyone who saw it in the theater would have had an aneurism and died.

Hey, Pop! I saw Cool World. It was kind of weird and confusing, and when I saw the pitch for MonkeyBone a few years ago I got PTSD. I remember why I saw Cool World, though. It's because it was the only thing showing on the Turkish air base in October of 1992.

[ September 18, 2006, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

It remains the only film in the past ten years during which I have actually gotten up to use the bathroom. Normally, I hold it and wait. Not so much during Riddick... [Wink]

[Eek!] BLASPHEMY!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Scary Movie 2.

Nothing beats knowing that a movie is going to be bad, being dragged by a friend to it and finding out that (surprise!) its bad, then seeing the stupidity of the human race in funding a sequel, knowing thats its bad again, being dragged to the second one by a different group of friends, and then dying as I strangle myself with my own esophagus.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I'm pretty sure I saw Ishtar in theater. Or on TV. Definitely, yeah, definitely in a theater. But it's a complete blank; I know I've seen it *somewhere*, but I can't remember it. Is that yet another repressed memory? Something I can't even consider admitting?

Can a movie be so bad that my brain denies any knowledge of its existance?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill be honest if I had seen "The Life Aquatica: With Steve Zisso" I probably would have walked out. I was just SO bored watching it.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

[Eek!] BLASPHEMY!

-pH

Yes, well, O Brother, Where Art Thou? remains the only movie EVER to put me to sleep on first viewing.

I guess I have slightly different taste. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ill be honest if I had seen "The Life Aquatica: With Steve Zisso" I probably would have walked out. I was just SO bored watching it.
You'll understand this brilliant movie someday, and this post will make you feel ashamed.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm...

Peter Jackson's King Kong
Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds
and I would also say that the Matrix Reloaded deserves an honorable (or is it dishonorable?) mention.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
quote:
You'll understand this brilliant movie someday, and this post will make you feel ashamed.
no....just no [Wink]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.