FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Not your Grandpa's family values" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Not your Grandpa's family values"
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that finding a private place, or using a blanket *is* a realistic expectation.
I believe this is the heart of our cultural difference. I can accept that this is the norm where you live. But please accept that this is not the norm where I live.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't often see women breastfeeding around here, but it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary if it did happen.

C-sections are considered a last resort here as well. Considering how dangerous they are, I'm surprised they are considered the preferred option ANYWHERE.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
I think that finding a private place, or using a blanket *is* a realistic expectation.
I believe this is the heart of our cultural difference. I can accept that this is the norm where you live. But please accept that this is not the norm where I live.
What you quoted is out of context. If you review the entire post, it's ver clear that, to accurately reflect the meaning without the quote Scott responded to, it needs to have an implict clause added:

"I think that finding a private place, or using a blanket *is* a realistic expectation if one wants privacy.

I still don't see how that's unrealistic, and none of the explanations given so far seem to have dealt with the realisticness of the expectation in the context of a mother who wants privacy.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of cultural differences, how pathetic is the individual that gawks at or objects to public breast feeding because of its "sexual nature." How desparate/repressed do you have to be in order for that responce to kick in?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a level of difference between pretending someone isn't there and refraining from staring, gawking, making comments/judgements etc. I don't think that the latter should be unreasonable to expect in polite society. "Out of the ordinary" may be a reason people stare; it is not an excuse to do so.

I think that people have a right to decide what is best for their child within certain limits regarding abusive situations and that, unless those decisions directly impact them, they should stay out of it. We don't get to approve or disapprove whether one breast or bottle feeds.

I do think that the militant behavior of some breast feeding advocates is at least partly a result of a deliberate movement to get people to stop breastfeeding. This is especially troublesome in developing countries and among poor people who have been encouraged to become dependent and spend money on formula rather than breastfeed.

This in no way excuses the bahavior of anyone accosting a mother and baby.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Speaking of cultural differences, how pathetic is the individual that gawks at or objects to public breast feeding because of its "sexual nature." How desparate/repressed do you have to be in order for that responce to kick in?

I think is has nothing to do with being desperate or repressed. I think it has much to do with having been conditioned to view the breast as a sexual object and with being unaccustomed to breast feeding.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Men's breasts are sexual, too. We get to see those.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, we're obviously using the word differently, 'cuz in my lexicon, men don't have breasts. [Wink]

Even so, they are not viewed as a sexual object nearly as much as a woman's.

I'm not saying it's good or bad -- I'm just saying that's how it tends to be in American society.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I think there is a level of difference between pretending someone isn't there and refraining from staring, gawking, making comments/judgements etc. I don't think that the latter should be unreasonable to expect in polite society. "Out of the ordinary" may be a reason people stare; it is not an excuse to do so.
I'm not sure what this is in reply to or if it's just a general comment.

I think it's clear that Scott would agree with this statement. He said something very similar a page ago.

What I don't get is the hostility I'm sensing to Scott's comments (not from your particular post, though). It's seems far greater than that which would have occurred if this were only about different definitions of "privacy."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

What do you call that area around and including the nipple on a man when not refering to the whole chest or to just the muscle?
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

I've never seen a formula ad that didn't explicitly state breast feeding is better for the baby. The hospitals push breastfeeding, the nurses push it, the pediatricians push it, and people who don't do it like me are treated badly. I'm curious, what else should be done? Do the breastfeeding advocates want formula outlawed or something? I mean Good gracious, I fail to see what other pressures could have been put on me besides out and out holding me down and forcing the baby to my breast.

I do think how you were treated was despicable, Belle. No,I don't think formula should be banned, but I do think all sampling and advertising of formula should be banned.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Dag,
I'm glad you didn't mean my particular post - I was just trying to narrow down where the misunderstanding might be.

edit to add:

I also think that saying "one should expect" that people will" do something is different from saying "you should find it acceptable" that people do something. And that may be where we are getting hung up.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I do think all sampling and advertising of formula should be banned.
I have too much respect for the principle of free speech to support something like this.

Advertising for formula should be honest, but it seems awfully paternalistic to ban truthful speech on the subject.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting how this thread went a totally different direction than the one I was thinking.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think is has nothing to do with being desperate or repressed. I think it has much to do with having been conditioned to view the breast as a sexual object and with being unaccustomed to breast feeding.

I think it absolutely has something to do with being desperate and repressed, if not puerile, to *gawk* because there is conditioning out there in society that *staring* at women's boobies, at anyone different from whatever someone is used to in BFE, is low and uncultured.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is waay late in the conversation (somehow I missed it the first time around) but Belle: Hopefully you don't take this as the universal view of LLL. I'm sad that you had such a negative experience with the organization, but I think it varies a lot from person to person and place to place.

I like to think that my family members who are involved do their best to be supportive of a mother's right to choose either route. They're obviously going to try to push breastfeeding because they believe it to be the superior answer, but if their techniques of persuasion were enough to make you cry, then obviously something isn't right.

Just realize that not everyone in the organization is a "breastfeeding nazi."

secondly, I just want to put in one more story to point out regional differences, because my sister's experiences seem to have been almost the opposite of yours in terms of hospital responses: All of them have been strongly encouraged by hospital staff to a) formula feed, b) avoid midwifes at all costs, and c) steer away from completely natural childbirth (no drugs)

So it definately varies from individual to individual and from place to place (largely why the "cultural norms" are hard to define for the whole country).

Lastly, while this doesn't excuse any poor treatment you and/or your friends have recieved from LLL members, do remember that they are volunteers, and usually busy mothers themselves. so if you get curt replys on the phone with one of them they might just be in a bad mood, very busy etc... (again, not an excuse for making you feel like a bad mother, but an explanation for those that might not know otherwise)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
On the bus? I don't think so.

That's nice. So exactly how was my daughter supposed to eat before my first class? And if you suggest getting even less sleep than I was getting at that point, I will laugh derisively. [Razz]

Belle, I think the way you were treated is horrific and despicable. Breastfeeding should be encouraged by hospitals, NOT pushed down anyone's throat. And strangers (or even most people who know you, unless they know you very well!) should be keeping their opinions to themselves.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wake up earlier? I don't eat or get dressed on the bus either. People don't do their hair on buses - it's a small place. There's no where to go. Our buses don't allow people to eat, play music, and they ask that perfume not extend beyond the person. It's being trapped in a car with someone - leaving the premises is not an option.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would much rather be aware that a woman is breastfeeding on the bus than have the child crying because it wants to be fed. And even if the mother did feed it before they left home, that doesn't mean it isn't going to want to be fed again 20 minutes later. I also consider breastfeeding in public less disruptive, in general, than talking on a cell phone in public.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing, a breastfeeding baby on a bus is a lot less noticeable than a crying/hungry/fussy baby. But I've never actually been on a bus, so I don't know how crowded they are.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I can't believe I'm defending behavior that occurred 12 years ago, but sure.

I was a half-time student (had been full-time, cut back the quarters I was bringing a baby in with me), and mother of a newborn. I had to take two (sometimes three) buses to school every morning to get to my 9 am class. I was getting practically no sleep.

It took about an hour to get to school, and I generally had about 5-10 minutes before class to get me and the baby settled, if the bus didn't get us there late that day.

I took a seat in the back, and I covered up with a receiving blanket.

And seriously, Katie, I am this close to telling you that maybe you just won't understand until you have one of your own. And I hate that sort of comment!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I took a seat in the back, and I covered up with a receiving blanket.
This, I think, makes it okay. If no one is sitting next to you. If it is a crowded bus, then I think the fellow passengers need to have their space and comfort zones respected more than the mother needs to breastfeed in public.

It's like a cell phone, or kissing in public. Sometimes its necessary, but there are ways to do it that will minimize the intrusion on other people. A cell phones is an auditory intrusion, breastfeeding is a visual and comfort zone intrusion, and kissing can be all three. That doesn't mean those things need to be completely verboten, but all efforts must be made to minimize the intrustion on other people.

If it isn't possible to avoid that intrusion on other people, then it shouldn't be done.

"Is breastfeeding in public okay?" Sometimes, if it is done discreetly and with a buffer zone of at least a few feet from other people.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In Katie's defense, no matter what her opinions are/were, I have never seen her be less than polite to a breastfeeding mother. Including me. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
If it is a crowded bus, then I think the fellow passengers need to have their space and comfort zones respected more than the mother needs to breastfeed in public.

That is the wrong equation. The other side of the equation is not the mother, it's the hungry baby. And if a hungry baby doesn't win over someone being a little bit uncomfortable, then something is seriously wrong.
katharina
Member # 827

People removing clothing is uncomfortable - it isn't fair to insist that someone be forced to sit next to someone who's not completely dressed on their way to work when there's no escape.
rivka
Member # 4859

Who is removing clothing? Receiving blanket over, blouse pulled up slightly (under cover, mind), bra unhooked (under cover of shirt and blanket).

You never adjust your bra strap on the bus?

And I repeat, this is about feeding a hungry baby.

Oh, and at no point of this was I not about twice as clothed as the average female on the bus.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But it's not comfortable to sit next to a baby screaming her head off, either. And I happen to think that the baby's need to be fed does need to trump someone's discomfort with breastfeeding. I'm always completely dressed when I breastfeed, so I'm not quite sure I get that.

I also agree that, at least in the summer, I ALWAYS have more clothes on than half the young women in L.A. More than half. Probably most.

katharina
Member # 827

Then that's done discreetly. [Smile]

It is not JUST about feeding a hungry baby. I think the advocation of that idea is what I'm resisting - the baby's existence does not take away the need to consider the other riders.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, but showing consideration by doing it as discreetly as possible and trying to take an empty seat if available is just about all you can do without depriving a child of food. So you are as considerate as possible while doing what you have to do, then what? Is that acceptable? Or do you think one should let the baby cry?
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I speak as someone who's never had a baby, so I'm asking this in all honesty, without attempting to argue: is there no other way to stop a baby from crying than feeding?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
You could explain the need for more socially acceptable behavior. But, that takes aproximatly 30 years to have noticable results.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that would depend on why it was crying. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
I speak as someone who's never had a baby, so I'm asking this in all honesty, without attempting to argue: is there no other way to stop a baby from crying than feeding?

Many times, no.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When they're hungry, no. Especially if they're the kind who won't take pacifiers. Even if they like pacifiers, they often won't take one if they're really hungry (and they can be really hungry ten minutes after they eat, it all depends.)
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
You could explain the need for more socially acceptable behavior. But, that takes aproximatly 30 years to have noticable results.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

To answer the question, it depends. If the baby is just generally unhappy, maybe. If the baby is actually hungry (and babies generally need to be fed approximately every 2-3 hours, and sometimes more often), then it is unlikely that anything else will work for more than a few minutes. And with some kids, not even that long. [Wink]

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this does come back to the topic's title. As I mentioned before, in an earlier day, women were not expected to be in public with new babies. To take a new baby out was proof you were an unfit mother. So this wasn't even an issue for our parents and/or grandparents.

Today, more people live away from extended family and the extra support that entails. By necessity, women have to take their babies out in public, to shop, to go to school, even to work, in some instances. Certainly not something our grandfathers had to deal with...

My problem with the objections that are being brought up here - and we may be talking past each other, I don't know - is the idea that a nursing mother has more of an obligation not to offend a passerby (or co-worker, or in my case, my father-in-law [Roll Eyes] ) than she has to provide and care for her baby. That she should be excluded from socialization/public transportation/school/workplace/church attendance/or whatever for the 25% of her life (30 minutes out of every 2 hours is not an unrealistic expectation for feeding a newborn) for the months that her child is breastfeeding.

New mothers are already dealing with a lot - sleep deprivation, recovering from childbirth, sometimes dietary restrictions, possible sibling jealousy, learning and teaching the baby to nurse, post-partum depression - or at least adjusting to MAJOR lifestyle changes... The last thing she needs is to be relegated to a closet or her bedroom for the first 6 months of her baby's life.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
That she should be excluded from socialization/public transportation/school/workplace/church attendance/or whatever for the 25% of her life (30 minutes out of every 2 hours is not an unrealistic expectation for feeding a newborn) for the months that her child is breastfeeding.

I've been trying to figure out what was bothering me! Thank you! That's it!

Although to be fair, as they get older they breastfeed less. And sometimes are content with a different snack once they get old enough for that (but sometimes not.)

Megan
Member # 5290

I don't think anyone was implying that at all, maui babe.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when they're young, they need to eat a lot, and generally crying is an indication that they're not happy (they can't talk yet, so they cry). Usually they're hungry. Sometimes they want to be changed. Sometimes they're in pain. But that's most of what the really little ones cry about. And eating, and breastfeeding or bottle feeding is a comfort thing too. The baby gets held, and usually the milk is warm, and they calm down, skin-to-skin contact, that sort of thing.

Also, I would call it a "man boob" if he's out of shape and "pecs" if he is in shape. And I must say, I find attractive men with their shirts off quite sexual. Much more sexual than breasts. And women make up over 50% of the population, so if you're young and in shape, put those shirts back on! Prurient thoughts! Gosh! WaterWorld life guards . . . beach volleyball . . . swim meets . . . k, I have to go take a cold shower.

And I also have to say that while I am not often around nursing mothers and therefore find myself somewhat startled sometimes when I realize a baby is getting lunch somewhere close by, I would much, much rather that the child is fed and not crying than to have any discomfort on my part take precedence over a child's wellbeing.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
I don't think anyone was implying that at all, maui babe.

Maybe not directly, but that's really what it comes down to... if a woman can't nurse her baby where-ever she happens to be, she really CAN'T go anywhere. Of course, there are places that a new mother really shouldn't take her baby, but we shouldn't make even more obstacles than already exist, just so that mature adults don't get uncomfortable.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Samarkand:
... I would much, much rather that the child is fed and not crying than to have any discomfort on my part take precedence over a child's wellbeing.

Well put.
Megan
Member # 5290

I don't think you can even boil it down to that, really. To me, it seems to be a private thing; kq even mentioned "giving the mother and baby their privacy." I don't object to anyone feeding their baby anywhere, but I also reserve the right to be uncomfortable when witnessing a private interaction. I also think that it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be comfortable witnessing that. Dismiss it as cultural conditioning if you like, but some people do feel uncomfortable witnessing it. So, as a result, my feeling is, mothers should go ahead and breastfeed as they need to, but don't be offended if others are uncomfortable.

(Edit: I'm a little unnerved to find myself on the same "side" and Kat, Scott R., and Dagonee. Very odd. [Big Grin] )

rivka
Member # 4859

See, that I have no problem with.

You know me, I'm happy to educate. [Wink]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
I don't think you can even boil it down to that, really. To me, it seems to be a private thing; kq even mentioned "giving the mother and baby their privacy." I don't object to anyone feeding their baby anywhere, but I also reserve the right to be uncomfortable when witnessing a private interaction. I also think that it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be comfortable witnessing that. Dismiss it as cultural conditioning if you like, but some people do feel uncomfortable witnessing it. So, as a result, my feeling is, mothers should go ahead and breastfeed as they need to, but don't be offended if others are uncomfortable.

(Edit: I'm a little unnerved to find myself on the same "side" and Kat, Scott R., and Dagonee. Very odd. [Big Grin] )

I don't imaging that it is the discomfort that is offensive, but sometimes the way people act on that discomfort. Glaring, trying to make rules against it, being generally rude about it (thus bringing even more attention). No one can completely control how they feel, but they can control how they act.

Not that I can imagine most of the posters here doing those types of things...

maui babe
Member # 1894

I have to say that I was never offended by people being uncomfortable with breastfeeding. Amused perhaps, and certainly puzzled, but never offended.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I don't imaging that it is the discomfort that is offensive, but sometimes the way people act on that discomfort. Glaring, trying to make rules against it, being generally rude about it (thus bringing even more attention). No one can completely control how they feel, but they can control how they act.

Bingo!
Megan
Member # 5290

Heh. See, to me, if someone is breast-feeding publically in order to make a point or in order to "help me get over being uncomfortable," that makes me even more uncomfortable. Leave my comfort level alone. [Big Grin]

Seriously, as long as I'm not hindering anyone from doing anything, why should my comfort level even be an issue? No need to "improve" me.

Edit: Ah. See, all I do in my discomfort is find another place to be.

maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Thanks boots.. this is exactly how I feel. I'm offended by many things in my life ... overt PDAs, skimpy clothing, foul and profane language in public places... I don't remember ever reacting in a negative way. I think what's important is that if you're offended by something, it's really only your problem.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

That is because you are nicer than most people. The comfort level of people becomes an issue because people who are not as nice as you (most of us, that is) do think that their comfort trumps a baby's. And will try to hinder people. So folks do have an interest in addressing the comfort thing.
rivka
Member # 4859

Was that to me, Megan? Because that's NOT what I meant by educate. Not at all! I just meant that I'd be happy to have a conversation with someone who was nonplussed (have done so, in fact), and explain why I consider feeding my baby (in public notwithstanding) an important thing to do.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.