FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flying Spaghetti Monster

Author Topic: Flying Spaghetti Monster
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone Was reading about the evolution VS creationist debate going on in Kansas and stumbled across this.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

It basically says that they have an equal amount of proof that their Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world as the Christians do in their bible so it should also be taught oh and the world will be inhabited by pirates.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
We've talked about the FSM off and on since the the open letter went up.

Y'arr I be a pastifarian, meself ye lubberin' bilge rat!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that I saw the FSM on my garlic bread...but then I ate it. I like to think it was simliar to the Catholic tradition of eating the wafer and drinking the wine...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
If a majority of Americans believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, we would be doing our children a disservice if we did not teach about it and how it relates to disiplines like science, art, and history in our country. If we failed to provide them with that knowledge, we would risk leaving them severely uninformed or misinformed about something that they'd likely come across many times during their lifetimes, and could lead them to make all sorts of mistaken decisions relating to the FSM.

However, if few to no people actually believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and if there is no agreed-upon evidence for its existence, and if it has little-to-no impact on our culture, we'd probably be wasting their time to teach about it.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, something like this could not escape the general hatrack consciousness for 20+ months.

Though I must say, I see it referred to a whole lot less here than other places (Such as "For FSM's sake...").

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
tres: Y'arr, we be gowin' in faith and influence. Before ye know it, Schools will break 5 times a day for the Call To Pasta!

And Talk Like A Pirate Day will be a National Holiday!

Avast,

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Heretics. The IPU is the One True Faith!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
*Insert standard Time Cube reference here*
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have been touched by His noodly appendage.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
FSM is for people that are not ready to admit that they are, in fact, worshipping Cthulhu.

I'a Cthulhu! I'a Dagon!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I too have been touched by His noodly appendage.

Now, show us on the doll where the Flying Spaghetti Monster touched you...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*snortlaugh*

[Edited because it was probably over the line]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a majority of Americans believed in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, we would be doing our children a disservice if we did not teach about it and how it relates to disiplines like science, art, and history in our country
The person's protest isn't about teaching how various religions have effected science, art, and history. It's about what teachers present as the origins of the universe. Your argument does not address this point.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
We get several strange looks going down the highway with out FSM emblem on the back of our car instead of the fish one. My Hubby takes great joy in educating all who ask. And he thinks I am weird because I'm Catholic! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now dawnmaria, I'm sure your being Catholic has little to do with you being weird.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the emblem on my car, too. The only people who have asked about it are my mother and my ex-husband.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
*Insert standard Time Cube reference here*

*head explodes*
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

http://www.venganza.org/sightings/images/sean_foulon.jpg <- the FSM sticker I want.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.