FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite breakfast foods (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite breakfast foods
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Toasted bagel with cream cheese.

Raisin Nut Bran with *cold* milk.

Southwest Omelette.

Overrated:

Pancakes and waffles.

Bacon, sausage, any other meat.

Toast.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Fruit and bacon.
Trying to cut down on bacon. American breakfast is so fattening.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
CHEERIOS.

FOREVER AND EVER.

Fruity Cheerios and Multigrain Cheerios are especially delicious.

Fruit's okay, too.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Biscuits and gravy.

Eggs Benedict.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't eat food within 4 hours of waking. So my breakfast is coffee and a cigarette. Hopefully it will just be the coffee someday soon.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinnamon Toast Crunch

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Overrated:

Pancakes and waffles.

Bacon . . .

With all due respect, you're probably not having the right pancakes. IHOP, for instance, makes terrible pancakes. My pancakes, on the other hand, are amazing. You would not think they were overrated if you tried them, oh no. Also, you are likely a member of this sad generation of Americans raised on mamby-pamby "syrup-flavored" syrup instead of the real thing: maple syrup, which is good for the body and the soul. Artificial syrup is an abomination, and a symptom of the decline of our culture. It is the 70's Sitcoms of sauces. People slather their pancakes with butter because their syrup has no flavor but SWEET and no texture but THICK. Put real maple syrup on your pancakes, and you don't even need butter.

And as for bacon, most people don't know how to make bacon anymore either. Certainly, you'll rarely find good bacon in a restaurant, as they mass produce it. The trick, I find, is to use a baster to remove the grease as it sweats off of the slices, so that none of the slices deep fry. This makes the bacon cook up nice and crispy. If your bacon is not actively crunchy, then, again, you don't actually know what bacon is.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
^I'll be at your place for breakfast. *drool*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like real maple syrup. Can't eat anything on my waffles and pancakes but the real thing.
Also i must figure out if I can still use this syrup in my backpack

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
String hoppers, pol sambol, and bittera hodi. Alternately, string hoppers with coconut milk & kithul palm jaggery mixed into a syrup. [Big Grin]

And as for maple syrop... kithul palm treacle is also excellent and flavorful. Just sayin'. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Biscuits and country gravy

2) Refried black beans, runny fried eggs, white rolls and a barley-based coffee substitute

3) Grapefruit

Note: Each of the above are to be eaten at separate breakfasts, not all on the same day.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
^I'll be at your place for breakfast. *drool*

[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I hate eggs by the way...
Seldom do people hate eggs.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
pumpernickel toast, just crispy enough and slathered in sweet cream butter...
and chocolate milk or a glass of Earl Gray tea sweetened with brown sugar and just enough milk.

And I second (or third) the biscuits and gravy. I make a MEAN B$G, out of any type of meat you can think of. I've even perfected a veggie gravy using bouillion. With homemade biscuits with cheese, rosemary, and garlic. Yum.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Gravy is disgusting. Gravy for breakfast is twice as much so. I don't like vomit when it comes out of my mouth; I'll be damned if I spoon it in deliberately.
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon is great. I would be a vegetarian, but I just can't give up my fried porky bacon. I only eat bacon once a week though.

Everyday breakfast: Toasted Bagel/ Real cream cheese, OJ, Milk, sometimes coffee.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Eggs, Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine, Link Sausage, Patty Sausage, Bacon, Homefries, Chicken Fried Steak, Chicken Fried Chicken, Gravy, Sausage Gravy, Sausage Gravy with Biscuits, French Toast, Waffles, Omelets, Pain Perdu, Eggs Pontchartrain, Eggs Sardou, Rice Pudding Porridge, Beignets, Donuts, Hash Browns, Halva Puri Cholay, Huevos Rancheros, Grits, Soda Farls, Toast, Cornbread, Jiacai, Corn Pone, Pancakes, Brioche, Croissant, Fried Apples, Choux, Pita Labneh, Mashriq, Zeppole, Menudo, Lorne Slice, Hashbrown Casserole, Oatmeal, Buttermilk Biscuits, Eggs-In-A-Basket, Soujouk, Arepas, Xifan, Cereal, Chorizo, Andouille, Fruit, Turkey Sausage Patties, Cha Chaan Teng, Pongal, Hominy, Pukka Pies, Frybread, Black Pudding, Weetbix, Apple Crumble, Rhubarb Crumble, Marmalade, Nasi Lemak, Bread and Butter Pudding, Chickory, Coffee, Tea, Juice, Milk, Mint Julep, Muskadine Wine, Sweet Tea, Buttermilk, Nestlé Milo, aaaaand Mimosa Cocktails.

Which is to say, 'everything' and 'oh god i'm an addict'

A breakfast addict. Don't laugh, it's possible.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
ˆ [ROFL] I couldn't help it. I am laughing at you. Sorry. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nestlé Milo
Does that exist in the western world?

We have it here for an afternoon snack, mostly... Not every afternoon, but occasionally...

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Gravy is disgusting. Gravy for breakfast is twice as much so. I don't like vomit when it comes out of my mouth; I'll be damned if I spoon it in deliberately.

But the gravy for biscuits'n'gravy is delicious! My mom puts bits of sausage in hers...mmm! [Razz]

My favorite breakfast food list would probably be somewhat similar to Sam's, although he's got a few things on there I've either never heard of or that I'd classify as desserts. Wouldn't stop me from eating them for breakfast, though. [Wink] My breakfast on the day after Thanksgiving is usually a couple slices of pumpkin pie, if I didn't finish it all the night before.

The ones I've been craving lately, though, are fried plaintain and chomporado (sp?) - this chocolate rice thing similar to oatmeal in consistency. And my mom's French toast. I miss my mommy...and her cooking. [Smile]

Edit: On closer examination of Sam's list - mint juleps, wine, and mimosas? For breakfast?? Oh my. The only beverages that make it onto my breakfast list are coffee, hot cocoa, tea, and fruit juice.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid - I've seen the Milo stuff at Asian grocery stores, and possibly in the Mexican food section of regular grocery stores, so it's available, just not widely. I think I may have had some once or twice in the Philippines, but I'm not sure. I definitely haven't had any in the US.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, that makes sense.

It's advertised as an energy drink. Cuz it has carbs and calories, don't'cha know, but locals wouldn't necessarily... To me, it's a treat, not an energy drink.

happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was going through military training I remember once they gave us biscuits and gravy. We were in heaven that morning (well, for six minutes anyway).
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid, we have milo. In fact I suspect it may be Australian in origin.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Really? I'll have to check the packaging... The next time we buy it - we're currently out. We do have foods here imported from Australia, but also from other places like Malaysia, India, Singapore, Indonesia...
imogen
Member # 5485

Well I'm not sure that the Milo you buy would be made here, but it's an Australian brand/product.

(Actually - look at that, it is made here!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ICARUS!!!!!

How can you be so right, and then so devastatingly wrong??

You are right about pancakes, assuming the pancakes you make are thin, in the style of the Adirondack flapjack.

You are right about the syrup. The deity help those who eat the other stuff.

You are correct about the bacon.

But heaven help you, Icarus, your diatribe on gravy leaves me breathless with shock!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, Quid, I love Indian food for breakfast. I tend to like traditional American breakfast food BEST late at night. However, the biscuits and gravy(which is a new discovery for me-WHERE HAVE I BEEN???) is great for camping, and on cold mornings.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, imogen, I did a search as well and also found that. It must be imported, then. Not surprising... The best cheese we can get in this country is imported either from Australia or Cyprus. Local cheese is grosser than disgusting.

Elizabeth, what kind of Indian food have you had for breakfast? I should add that, at most cheap places that serve breakfast here, breakfast is usually a dark fish curry (I don't like dark fish), a vegetable curry, and bread for breakfast. As costs go up, so does the quality and selection of the food - big surprise. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza and milk.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Croissants smothered in Nutella. A rare treat for us.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Leftovers, especially:

BC roll! BC roll!
Steak
Anything with goat cheese
Olivia's grilled veggies

And some traditionals, including:

Fruit
Frittata
Pasquale's blue corn & pine nut pancakes
Cheerios for sure, Libbie
GrapeNuts (with a side glass of cranberry juice)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Artificial syrup is an abomination, and a symptom of the decline of our culture.
Yes.

For breakfast, I like lots of different things. Good non-fatty bacon, toasted English muffins with butter, good sausages, fruit, cereals.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll eat breakfast foods for lunch or dinner. An' fatty bacon is best, then followed by eggs fried in the bacon grease.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
String hoppers, pol sambol, and bittera hodi. Alternately, string hoppers with coconut milk & kithul palm jaggery mixed into a syrup.
Wow, awesome, I thought I was all cultured when it came to food, but I don't even know how to pronounce any of those things. I'm so going to to the Sri Lankan booth for breakfast this morning. [Big Grin]

Edit: Oh dude, I think I have had pol sambol, but the guy here calls it coconut something? He serves it with masala dosai, we love it! Now I just gotta find me some of those hoppers and hodi. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Icky (been doin' that a lot lately) on the gravy thing.

And I'm postively shocked popovers haven't been mentioned yet.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Coke and a strawberry danish from the gas station next to where I wait for my bus.

I'm up and out before anyone else is awake at my house (6am). So I'm on my own anyway, and I'll be damned if I'm going to try to cook anything in that condition. I'm so groggy at that time I'd set myself on fire.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Cafe Flora's cheese grits. Ye gods, I have to learn how to make those. Mmmmmmm.

Sadly, when I get breakfast, it's as likely as not leftovers or something thawed from the freezer. After fourteen years or so of cold cereal before school, I found I'd lost my taste for it.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Old fashioned oatmeal. Can't live without it now (acquired taste) and bacon but if that can't happen Golden Grahams, Shreddies (if I'm up North) or Life cereal will do in a pinch.

I'm also on board with many varieties of pancakes, pumpkin ones have sounded good since it's turned fall with cinnamon syrup...Mmmmm.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Over medium fried eggs, toast, sausage.

Cinnamon rolls and bacon.

English muffins slathered in butter with only a little peanut butter on top.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I have a Coke and a strawberry danish from the gas station next to where I wait for my bus.

I'm up and out before anyone else is awake at my house (6am). So I'm on my own anyway, and I'll be damned if I'm going to try to cook anything in that condition. I'm so groggy at that time I'd set myself on fire.

Well duh, most of us don't eat all of this stuff on workdays. My workday starts at 7:20. I usually don't eat until my planing period, and I usually grab a banana or an orange or a grapefruit.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Portuguese sausage, eggs (over medium) and rice.

Spam, eggs (scrambled) and rice.

Pizza.

Ick, can I live in your house? I'll pay rent.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Quid, my father in law usually just makes regular Indian food for breakfast. I just like spicy, rather than sweet, in the morning.

I am also surprised at the lack of popovers being mentioned!

Now that they have been mentioned, I am imagining THEM with sausage gravy!

I had a friend from Costa Rica make beans and rice for breakfast, and that was swell. (until later)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"English muffins slathered in butter with only a little peanut butter on top."

Yes!!!
kwsni, so few people understand the need for peanut butter to be on top of butter!

I also enjoy butter and peanut butter sandwiches.

(And the butter stays OUT OF THE FRIDGE, GOLDARNIT!!!!)

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I just go to IHOP. There better be one of those in heaven.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
quote:
String hoppers, pol sambol, and bittera hodi. Alternately, string hoppers with coconut milk & kithul palm jaggery mixed into a syrup.
Wow, awesome, I thought I was all cultured when it came to food, but I don't even know how to pronounce any of those things. I'm so going to to the Sri Lankan booth for breakfast this morning. [Big Grin]

Edit: Oh dude, I think I have had pol sambol, but the guy here calls it coconut something? He serves it with masala dosai, we love it! Now I just gotta find me some of those hoppers and hodi. [Smile]

Pol sambol is a paste made with freshly grated coconut, red chilli pepper powder, salt, scallions, Maldive fish flakes, and lime juice. It's spicy to most people (not to me) and tastes absolutely delightful.

Bittera hodi is egg gravy. The egg part is a hard boiled egg, and the gravy part is onions, Thai green chillies, Maldive fish flakes, tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and red chilli pepper powder in coconut milk. It's another one that's oh, so surprisingly delightfully good.

String hoppers are a type of noodle made from red rice flour (red rice being the local version of brown rice) and steamed.

My mil makes the best versions of those that I've had, and I've had a few. You want a really really good Sri Lankan breakfast, you come for a visit and we'll get her to make it. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You want a really really good Sri Lankan breakfast, you come for a visit and we'll get her to make it.
Does that apply to any of us? [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yummmmmm. Now I'm craving Sri Lankan food!

(And thanks to this thread, I had gravy for dinner last night. With pumpkin and corn fritters, and beef strips and bacon. It was a lot nicer than it sounds.)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, you know you're always welcome. And if anyone's game, we could still have a LankaCon... [Big Grin] Oh, good thing is that I know how to cook some Sri Lankan food, and I'm continuing to get cooking lessons from the mil... I'm so lucky she's happy to oblige. [Smile] So, the LankaCon would include the local cuisine... [Big Grin]
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
Champ-o-rado was lots of fun to eat for breakfast.

I like cold pizza.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! Someone said cold pizza!!! Honestly, I like apple pancakes... or regular pancakes with real maple syrup. I am from Quebec, if I don't have real syrup I will kill the person who serves me the fake stuff... with my bare hands! Ever had syrup on top of snow on a stick? very good.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.