FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite breakfast foods (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite breakfast foods
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to make syrup at a school I went to. We would "test" the syrup for its grade, and then drinks shots of it, warm, and run around like maniacs. The school would not allow any sugar, and when they served pancakes, they were frugal (read: stingy) with it, so there was nothing for us better than a sugar high.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Ever had syrup on top of snow on a stick? very good.

I have not, because I have lived most of my life where it does not snow, but I have heard this, and once or twice when I was a kid I shaved the ice that used to form on the inside of my freezer (remember freezers that were not frost-free?!) and pour syrup over it. I'm sure it's not the same, but it was the best I could come up with! [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yeah, not at all the same. Yours probably had raw chicken juice in it or something *shudders*

I have, JonHecht, but I'm Canadian, eh, so, eh, you know, eh... [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure we didn't have any raw chicken in our freezer. [Razz]

Ice cream, on the other hand . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't combine the two!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Pol sambol is a paste made with freshly grated coconut, red chilli pepper powder, salt, scallions, Maldive fish flakes, and lime juice. It's spicy to most people (not to me) and tastes absolutely delightful.

Bittera hodi is egg gravy. The egg part is a hard boiled egg, and the gravy part is onions, Thai green chillies, Maldive fish flakes, tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and red chilli pepper powder in coconut milk. It's another one that's oh, so surprisingly delightfully good.

String hoppers are a type of noodle made from red rice flour (red rice being the local version of brown rice) and steamed.

My mil makes the best versions of those that I've had, and I've had a few. You want a really really good Sri Lankan breakfast, you come for a visit and we'll get her to make it. [Smile]

That does sound awfully good. I like spicy food.

Are Maldive fish flakes as ubiquitous to Sri Lankan food as fish sauce is to Thai food?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* Yeah, probably. They're used as a flavoring in a lot of stuff.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.