FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NOOoOOOOO more Firefly.

Author Topic: NOOoOOOOO more Firefly.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/737/737413p1.html

[Wall Bash]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

edit: changed one of the "o's" in the subject line to avoid being accused of posting in all caps.

[ October 06, 2006, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh....and I was so happy...

Josh Whedon
quote:
Here's a thing: when "Firefly" was cancelled, my heart got broke. Sounds a bit much, but it changed me. Not even "Serenity" could patch that wound. I'm wearier, warier -- after all those years as a movie writer, you'd think I'd be prepared for another lesson on my unimportance in the scheme of things, but I wasn't. There are two very separate worlds: the marketplace, and the bustling bazaar that is my brain. The brain place is crowded with goods, ideas, sequels, spinoffs, animated versions, miniseries, radio dramas -- this is just the used goods. All the new wares are in there as well and it's deafening. Once I create a verse I never let go of it. And figuring out how much of my energy should be devoted to reawakening the projects you all love with the actors and characters I all love, and how much should be forging ahead and creating entirely new works (which you are contractually obligated to love) is exhausting. More than you know. You know the horse caught bwtween two pools of water? Add seven pools, and make the horse wicked A.D.D. The other world, the marketplace, I don't even begin to understand or predict. All these rumor of projects or the death of projects... When the two worlds align and something actually happens, whatever it is, you guys know I'll be on this site as soon as I'm allowed to be. And I'll be very very clear. There is no news. Not never, just now. I'm off to lunch with Lonelygirl.

whedonesque.com
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there was a clarification offered to this later (I can dig up the link if someone wants it). He hasn't said no more Firefly forever, just not now. He's got quite a bit on his plate at the moment, so that makes sense.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, looks pretty bleak.

Even if Whedon can find some free time when he finishes everything on his plate, who's to say he'll be able to get all the actors back to do a show or movie again? They've all got good careers ahead of them, and if you check IMDB, they've all got something going (with the exception of Ron Glass, but that doesn't really matter so much).

Getting such a large cast together, with a director/writer who is booked for quite some time now, in some muddled unnamed future is bleak, but I'll still hold out some hope, somehow that we'll get more someday.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
All the Firefly fans seem really, really eager to get another show or movie going. Are there simply not enough fans to produce the money the studios want to see? There always seems to be huge excitement on the part of the fans, so I wonder what is holding the studios back. Did Serenity not do well in theaters?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only did it not recoup the cost of production ($40 million) in theatres, it didn't even get there with DVD sales.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, Serenity made $38 million world wide. Its production budget (not counting promotional costs) was $39 million.

Not the sort of numbers that interest studios.

The fan base is loyal, but apparently not large enough.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It's times like these when it would be nice to go back to a system of artists and their wealthy benefactors. If Joss could get Bill Gates interested in another Firefly series...
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Not only did it not recoup the cost of production ($40 million) in theatres, it didn't even get there with DVD sales.

I read an article only a few weeks ago that said Serenity after this years Serenity day made it into red territory, so it did recoop all its costs. But breaking even still is not attractive to studios.

Not sure why a few reporters keep saying it didnt make back the cost.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the fate of the Browncoats to always fight for lost causes?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't want another Firefly movie. I want Joss to do another tv series. Bring Firefly back, or an original series. I know I'll love whatever Joss does next. So I figure with a movie I get two hours of love, while with a tv show I get several years.

He says when Firefly got cancelled it broke his heart. I'm afraid that means he isn't planning on going back to tv ever.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have faith that Firefly would be as good without Wash. He brought something to the show that I don't think could be replaced without it seeming forced.

I think Serenity works as a conclusion to Firefly. I think it is crappy that they spent $40 million to make the movie when it only cost about $1 millon per episode. I wish they had just made more episodes instead. The story would have been more satisfying, in my opinion.

If Firefly comes back in any form, I will most likely watch it. It will probably be good. It just won't be the same.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they do it as either a prequel, or using Wash and Book as flashbacks.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you all want Firefly back anyway after we've had Serenity. Not only are the people who could feasibly bring it back not going to risk losing any more money on it, Serenity basically ended the series for us. The crew at the end of Serenity is not the same crew at the end of Firefly's run; the changes you see in Mal and the crew make it pretty clear, to me at least, that Serenity is it. There is no more.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.