FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Songwriters of all time (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Songwriters of all time
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Benny Andersson and Björn Ulveus.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Matthews
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
I must concur that Lennon and McCartney were the best composers of contemporary songs of our time. The Beatle's music collection is almost 40 years old and it still has a significant impact on current music trends. Their songs have been covered more than any other. Their songs were both experimental and accessable, and timeless. My grandparents (who are 80) enjoy most of the same Beatle tunes that my 10 year old son does. No body of work of any other pair of contemporary song writers have maintained such broad appeal for such a long period of time.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Carpenter

I didn't remember that Garth Brooks wrote any songs.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Has Danny Elfman written SONGS?

curious.

The soundtrack for The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
He cowrote a lot of his hits.[edit -- re: Garth Brooks] But if he goes on this list, so should Pat Alger (his writing/producing partner).

I also concur about George Harrison -- he's too often overlooked in favor of the more prolific Lennon/McCartney duo.

I personally think John Mayer's phrasing is pure genius, too.

Carole King is way up on my list.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Has Danny Elfman written SONGS?

curious.

Ever heard of a little group called Oingo Boingo?
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

Jimmy Page/Robert Plant
Gilby Clarke/Axl Rose
Roger Waters
Chris Robinson (Black Crowes)
Eddie Vedder

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Name-dropping thread aka "Let me show off my obscure musical tastes" thread.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Cole Porter
Sammy Cahn
Irving Berlin

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad Alcon said it, so I won't feel like such a dork but I do adore the Barenaked Ladies. I've always been a sucker for good lyrical writing and their use of imagery and irony is perfect for my tastes.

To answer Alcon though, with most Barenaked Ladies songs whoever sings lead vocal is usually the original writer though there's alot of collaboration with other members of the band when fine-tuning the song. There are some exceptions, for example, on the latest album the song "Sound of Your Voice" was written by keyboardist Kevin Hearn who did sing it originally before it was passed to Steven Page to provide vocals. Steven and Ed Robertson are the biggest contributors when it comes to song-writing, followed by Kevin Hearn (who has such an unusual style), followed by bassist Jim Creegan who recently wrote the beautiful "Peterbourough and the Kwarthas." Tyler Stewart the drummer brings up the back providing beats for wayward songs.

Yeah, I'm a BNL dork.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Nas when Illmatic first came out.

(yes I'm serious)

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised Leonard Cohen is not here yet..... He is now. "Suzanne" and "Hallelujah" are masterpieces. John Stewart is more obscure than Cohen, but also more talented. Don Mclean has only written a few good songs, but how good they were!
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm Primal, very few of the people nominated have been obscure at all. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the names of the song writers that go with the famous bands they hail from, or the hits they have written?

Nas, I have to dispute. I mean, the quality of the songs aren't in doubt, but the actual quality of the songs doesn't hail from his songwriting ability (which is IMHO, relatively generic), but rather from his absurdly skilful flow. Perhaps a better candidate would be The Fugees, or The Roots?

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.