FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canadian Military Drops Fitness Test (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canadian Military Drops Fitness Test
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
I'm in fair shape and I really want to test this, but I don't think the janitorial staff in my office has been doing such a great job of cleaning the floors lately.

If I recall correctly, you also test-drove my fingertip/visual illusion experiment.

Fabulous. Gold star for you! *grin

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
With all due respect to your PT person, I still attempt to disbelieve. [Smile]

But I'm certainly open to being proven wrong.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

We maintain a policy of openness to new evidence. *nods

Maintiens le droit.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's make some assumptions. A man who is 6-ft tall will likely have his center of gravity (COG) at about 3 feet. If he weighs 170 lbs, the moment from his toes would be 510 ft-lbs. If his arms are at about 5 feet, he would need to push with a force of 102 lbs.

On his knees, the COG would be about 2 feet from the point and the arms would be about 4 feet. Assuming the legs below the knees weigh about 10 lbs each, that give a weight of 150 lbs, which in turn give a moment of 300 ft-lbs. He would need to push with a force of only 75 lbs now.

Now he's well-built with a large upper body so he weighs 200 lbs and the COG is now at 3.5 ft for regular pushups and 2.5 ft for knee pushups. That gives a necessary force of 140 lbs and 112.5 lbs for regular and knee pushups, respectively.

The percentage difference between the two is smaller for the well-built man. Which means the regular guy would see a bigger difference between knee pushups and regular pushups.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how close those COG's are to reality.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

You need to figure in tendon attachment points and angles of joint motion, etc., to create a feasible model, in my opinion.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem that I can see is that a regular pushup is more of a benchpress motion (arms perpendicular to the torso), and the girl pushups are more of a decline motion (maybe 15 degrees down from perpendicular). Therefore, it does take more force to create the same motion, but the moment arm is shorter. I'd call it a wash, but in practice I think girl pushups are simpler.

I actually can't wait until I get home from work to try this. I'm in better than average shape (though I hesitate to apply the 'well conditioned' tag), so it might be a better measure.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, I don't think you can make the assumption that a "normal" 6' tall man's COG is at 3', either. The whole point of COG is that it is not "right in the middle" like you would expect it to be. For most 6' guys, 3' is going to be somewhere in their upper legs. The amount of mass above that point is going to be significantly more than the amount below.

In other words, I think your numbers are pretty much useless. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
woot, now I can join the reserves quicker.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You need to figure in tendon attachment points and angles of joint motion, etc., to create a feasible model, in my opinion.
Hey, I did this in 5 minutes. Cut me some slack.
quote:
In other words, I think your numbers are pretty much useless.
[Cry]
Actually, they're not useless. The better built a man is, the higher the COG will likely be. Let's face it - most men who work out do not spend anywhere near as much time on their lower body as their upper body. If you change what I assumed to 3.5 and 4 feet, the concept still applies in that the higher the COG, the less difference there will be between the required forces.

Of course, JT's point about the angle is a good too.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
For the average adult human, CG is somewhere in the vicinity of an inch or two above their belly button.

On average, men have higher CGs than women. Many women have CGs that are actually at or below their belly button.

Can someone explain again the difference between the two types of pushups? I have no idea which kind I do.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
The results are in:

Pushups on knees: 55 (I probably could have done a couple more but I got bored)

"Regular" pushups: Usually around 70.

Those girl pushups are hard (Yup, decline all the way). If that's what girls are fighting against when doing "regular" pushups, I'm impressed. My shoulders REALLY wanted to kiss the floor.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
so that fitness test was something that people had to do before they were allowed to go to basic training?

They still have to do it before thay begin basic training. Potential recruits who fail the test will be admitted but have to undergo special physical training before being allowed to begin basic.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The key with the modified push-up is keeping everything STRAIGHT. I've seen a lot of people do these push-ups, who say they can to a bajillion of them, but they do it bending at the waist. A lot of times, you don't realize that you're not keeping everything aligned unless someone is there to tell you.

The difference between the push-ups is that the modified push-up...let me find a picture.

Like this.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Well, for instance, dropping the running could allow asthmatics in, and as long as they're not on the front lines but in an at-home support position, with the proper medication asthmatics might be okay.

If they have issues with asthma then they probably won't be let in. However, if they are like me, and have had no issues with their asthma for quite a while, then who cares? Put them on the front line. I'm in on a waiver for having had asthma. I have had one issue with it my entire time in. Other than that, I don't let it get in the way.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.