FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Final Fantasy XII: First Impressions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII: First Impressions
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I do have a question about side quests though. Since i dont use guides i kinda just discover things on my own i dont automatically just go do things. Aside from the monster hunts ive had only one random quest. Its pretty odd to have a FF game with no quests, so i figured id pose the question. Am i missing side quests, or is it based all around the hunting game

There are A LOT of side quests, and they're very, very important. Pretty much anything that sounds like it could be a side quest is.

Don't sweat it, though: a lot of them require you to do a lot of traveling between areas and can't really be completed until later in the game.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to talk to just about everybody you encounter if you want to stand a chance at stumbling across a side quest. Pretty much every sidequest is worth it, as some involve you getting Espers you cannot get inside the main storyline!

But what makes them obnoxious is you cannot start them until you have progressed to certain points in the main story line. The dawn shard and the treaty blade are required for the biggest bulk of side quests. Once you have both feel free to run around and find those quests. I am glad I got the guide, it has been indispensable.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to do the hunts in any particular order or anything? I can't seem to get to the White Mousse or find the Gil Tortoise or whatever. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the side quests require you to complete certain hunts to begin them. One hunt that I can think of off the top of my head requires you to have completed an earlier hunt and do a side quest. Other than that, they can be done in any order, as far as I know.

A lot of the side quests take place in dungeons you go through early in the game. Exploring those places later can be helpful, as well as talking to people in towns nearby.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, last question (hopefully) - Do the monsters level up with you? I'm getting my butt kicked on the Ozmon plains or wherever (and in the Zeritan(?) Caverns), so would it be beneficial for me to go level up, get some better weapons, etc etc? Or is it just the fact that I'm a crappy player thats leading to my ultimate demise? (right now everyones around level 19 or 20)
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
And another question. Do any of the sidequests become unavailable after you reach a certain point in the game? That's one of many things that pissed me off about Sword of Mana.

Also, is there a P.C. version of the game?

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
The monsters don't level up with you, though of course as you progress into deeper levels of the game, the monsters which inhabit those areas are naturally stronger, and yes, a higher level. Monsters of a lower level will always stay at that level. If you're having trouble in an area which you need to pass through, you might think about doing a little bit of grinding (fighting in areas where the monsters are at your level, to gain levels, loot, and points). As for those caverns, at your level you don't need to be going in there. They come into play a bit later.

I don't think any of the sidequests become unavailable. Then again, I haven't really put any of them off to the point where I would have to worry about that. The closest instance to a sidequest becoming unavailable that I can think of is when the plains enter rainy season, which stops you from doing a particular hunt. That's easily remedied by the fact that dry season eventually comes back around.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
And another question. Do any of the sidequests become unavailable after you reach a certain point in the game? That's one of many things that pissed me off about Sword of Mana.

Also, is there a P.C. version of the game?

To the best of my knowledge, nothing becomes unavailable, ever. Even the Zodiac Spear can be obtained if you didn't know the "trick" (read: BS prerequisites) beforehand, it's just way more time consuming.

There is no PC version of the game; there will likely never be one.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
eh, guess ill have to break down and get a guide i guess. I tend to talk to most of the random people and am pretty far in the game and still havent found much.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
just for the record: if you're not opposed to guides www.gamefaqs.com is your friend... though it's a bit odd at the moment since much of the stuff there is translated from the Japanese version, so some of the place/monster/item names can be interesting to work out
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I am really liking this game. I've put in quite a bit of time so far, since I've been sick this weekend. I've got my characters all up to around level 27. I did some fun level grinding and just got my butt kicked by the White Mousse. Again. I almost had it this time though, if those pesky toad things hadn't wiped me out. I'm gonna progress a little more in the story, see if I can get some better weapons and stuff, then take on some of those hunts that have been wiping me out. I suppose it's indicative that none of the boss fights that have to do with the story line have given me any trouble at all, while quite a few of the hunts have. I suppose I may have bitten off more than I should/could chew [Wink] . Ah well. The week is young.
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

the only bosses that have given me trouble so far were Garuda and Cid. I didnt know about the berries for the garuda fight, and killing the rooks with cid was a bit annoying. Although i found it quite interesting that Cid plays a bad guy in this one.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Ecthalion, the funny thing when I fought the Garuda was that I had actually done everything to get the berries except go back to the guy to get them and still didn't have too hard a time fighting it. It wasn't necessarily easy, but it wasn't impossible either... makes me curious what the berries actually do.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

i was told it slowed it down and made attack/def weaker. The reason i had problems with it is it would go on 5+ hitting streaks constantly.

The berries are supposed to make it sick or something....

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
See I HAD the berries but didn't realize I was fighting the Garuda when I got there, so I just opened up a quickening chain and got like a 12 hit combo and killed it right off.

"Oh I killed it, oh hey I was supposed to use those berries!"

Tried selling them you get like 1 gil for em. Pure profit baby.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

btw, any of you seen the video of a guy beating stage 2 Gilgamesh at lvl 35? it was crazy
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
btw, any of you seen the video of a guy beating stage 2 Gilgamesh at lvl 35? it was crazy

Didn't know that was possible, my guys are around that lvl.
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

wow... i must be lagging my hunts... im 45 and havnet even done stage 1...
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Gilgamesh at 35? He kicked my lvl 40 butts so hard I didn't try again.

I really like this game, agree with the points adressed above. I'm right before the end, after a very tall dungeon. I've done no leveling per se, other than running back and forth on some hunts. I found a good level of challenge to the game, not that easy, but not needing leveling. And I so wanna be Balthier, he is the height of cool.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

****SPOILERS*****

So I finished the game before my roommate took it home for Christmas break. I only got up to rank VI on the hunts, so hopefully I'll get a chance to finish up all that stuff, but I really enjoyed this game. It's the first console game I've ever finished. Multiple times I've come to the final level of games and just said "Eh, I'm tired of it", but this one was good. I so wish Ashe and Vaan had got together though. Penelo was a little brat.

I actually had a dream about it last night. I was Basch with a Katana and I was fighting a dragon outside of a town. And then back inside the town there were those annoying little fruit-head things. And rats. And I got so annoyed because I couldn't just crush them with my hands, I actually had to get out my sword and swing it every time. [Dont Know]

[ December 17, 2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Multiple times I've come to the final level of games and just said "Eh, I'm tired of it"
I've been doing this a lot lately, getting to the last level or dungeon, and then not going back to beat it. Including this one, which I'm sure has an ending I'd be interested in. Not sure why, but obviously the motivation of RPG's for me isn't the ending, more of the exploring or character building parts
Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

If you're going into the Bahamut, its really not a level, just a string of boss fights. If you're going into the one before that (I can't remember the name), it's horribly long and complicated.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
So I finished the game before my roommate took it home for Christmas break. I only got up to rank VI on the hunts, so hopefully I'll get a chance to finish up all that stuff, but I really enjoyed this game. It's the first console game I've ever finished. Multiple times I've come to the final level of games and just said "Eh, I'm tired of it", but this one was good. I so wish Ashe and Vaan had got together though. Penelo was a little brat.

I actually had a dream about it last night. I was Basch with a Katana and I was fighting a dragon outside of a town. And then back inside the town there were those annoying little fruit-head things. And rats. And I got so annoyed because I couldn't just crush them with my hands, I actually had to get out my sword and swing it every time. [Dont Know]

&$)(#@(*&() &%#@)(*%#@)( SPOILER WARNINGS!!!!

[Frown] [Frown]

Ah, well, I'm level 99 and have finished pretty much everything I could find, I suppose I should jsut bite the bullet and finish the gamea anyway...

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Woooops. Yeah, sorry, I'll fix that. I woulda been pissed off if I'd read that before I finished it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.