FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack medicos (and dentists)

Author Topic: Hatrack medicos (and dentists)
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dental issue. There is what feels like a tooth coming in, but I shouldn't have any that aren't in yet. It's near the front, and rather than coming up through the top, it's coming in toward the inside of my mouth. It feels the same way it does when a tooth is coming in, and looks that way too. There's a bulge with a little white-ish spot in the middle. Everyone is telling me to see a dentist, but the dental part of the health center on campus isn't open until tuesday. Does anyone know of anything this could be other than a tooth? I haven't been to a dentist in maybe and year and a half to two years, but the last time they did x-rays there weren't any random teeth under the surface.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you? I doubt it's a tooth. Could be some sort of abscess, maybe?

It definitely needs checking out, don't let possible infections in the mouth go for too long. My grandmother lost part of jaw bone because she was so scared of dentists she didn't tell anyone about the pain in her mouth and it was an infection that almost killed her. As it was she had to endure painful procedures while they tried to save her jaw.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 19.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Extra teeth are called mesodents. One of my kids had one in about the spot you are describing.

However, AFAIK, if you had one, it should have shown up on x-rays a while ago.

Like Belle, I wonder if it could be some sort of abscess. Can you go to the regular campus health center and have them take a look tomorrow?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I could if I have time, but I have class from 10-12 and 1-5. I have a presentation of sorts in the 1-5 class, so I definitely can't skip it. Also, it can be hard to get appointments at the health center unless you are actively dying. Tuesday will be easier for me because I only have one class and it's in the morning.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not extremely painful, my guess is that you probably will still be alive on Tuesday.

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Are your gums tender to the touch? Are they sensative when eating hot/cold food? Does the white spot feel mushy like it's filled with fluid, or is it stiff like a little pebble is there?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Ok, I looked at tooth abscesses on webMD, and that does and doesn't sound like what I have. My teeth themselves aren't in any pain at all. It's just the lump underneath.

Gecko: My gums are tender to the touch, but only in that one spot. There's no sensitivity to heat/cold that I've noticed. It's definitely stiff, not mushy.

My parents think it's an abscess, so I will definitely be going to the dentist on tuesday, assuming I can get an appointment.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Update (or not): It's still bothering me. I couldn't get an appointment yet because the dental clinic is closed mondays. (I'd been hoping there would at least be someone there making appointments, but no such luck.) I will try tomorrow. Unfortunately, my studio instructor just piled a whole lot of work on us due Wednesday, so tomorrow could be a very unfun day.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
(maybe a very silly thing to say but you are more important in the long run than what happens, or is due, on wednesday - just make sure you're okay... ; ) )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oral viral ulcer. That's what they said I had this one time when I was like 14 and thought I had teeth growing in on the back.

Have you tried some kind of mouthwash?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

No, I haven't. I don't have any. Maybe I can go find some today.

*Runs off to check WebMD*

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

WebMD doesn't have anything on oral viral ulcers, and google doesns't seem to either. Is it possible you have the name wrong?
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, any news today? Just wondering how your mouth's doing. Hope it's feeling better soon.
Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.