FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The only person who leaves me speechless--Sasha

Author Topic: The only person who leaves me speechless--Sasha
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Three quotes from the past week or so that left me totally unable to answer.

"Papa, if I get mad during a full moon, will I become a Woolworth?"

(This after seeing "Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.")

If only. Woolworth stores had a great snack counter.

"Who made us?"

In the middle of a birthday party surrounded by kids and parents from at least three major religions, and a few agnostics. Upon clarification he wanted the "true" creation story.

"I want you to get it for me for Christmas."
"Well, maybe Santa will get it for you."
"No. Santa is going to get me Lincoln Logs. I want YOU to get it for me."

The little brainiac is using the Santa myth against us already.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love Sasha stories. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so awesome that you're showing him Abbot and Costello movies. When I was younger, my dad came home from the library with a new one at least once a week. It was glorious. I think I can still recite the "Who's on First?" sketch by heart.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Ahh, "Who's on First" memorized. That's nothing.

When I was growing up the played Abbott and Costello movies every weekend. My memorization of Who's on First (I have the T-Shirt) was one factor in winning my wife. My memorization of their classic math routine--7x13=28, got me noticed by my math and science teachers (the fact that I could prove it using Addition, Multiplaction and Division.)

However, my favorite routine got me out of a fight.

In the highschool cafeteria one of the local grunts started picking on me. Now you must remember that this kid was twice my size, and about half my IQ. After enduring his stealing of my french fries once too often I slammed down my tray and stared at him.

"Are you looking for a fight?" I asked.

"What if I am" he answered.

"You want a fight?" I said in a fake shocked voice.

"Yeah. I wanna fight!" he replied.

"You want a fight!" I stared.

"Yeah. I want a fight." He glared back.

"Ok. 3:30, in the upper parking lot. Be there!" I stood.

By now the entire cafeteria was staring at us.

"I'll be there." he said as he stood to meet me, eye to eye, over the table.

Silence filled the cafeteria.

I smiled evilly at his friends who surrounded him hungrilly. "And I'd better not see any of your friends there."

"What?" he asked.

"This fight doesn't involve them."

"Ok. I don't need them."

"Yeah, big talk. You had better be alone."

"I'll be alone."

Louder now, "You'd better be alone!"

"I'll be alone."

"Well, You had better be alone!"

"I'll be alone!!"

"You bet you will, cause I'm not going to be there."

With that I picked up my tray and walked out of the room. I got about 2 steps before the room erupted in laughter, and the poor grunt still hadn't figured out what was going on.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Papa, if I get mad during a full moon, will I become a Woolworth?"
*giggle*

That's the cutest thing I've heard all day. Even more than Gilbert whimpering like a puppy during my diction class.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the request for the "true" creation story. Ahh, he totally gets it already . . .
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've said something like this before, but Sasha is an awesome kid. And he has an awesome dad, too - I loved your fight story! [Big Grin]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, I like Sasha stories! Thanks Dan for sharing.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
"Who made us?"

In the middle of a birthday party surrounded by kids and parents from at least three major religions, and a few agnostics. Upon clarification he wanted the "true" creation story.

You've got to love kids [Smile]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh, those are great stories! *giggling*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - what's 'the Santa myth'?

edit: to take out somethin' not needed anymore... : )

[ November 07, 2006, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: cmc ]

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

quote:
Wait - what's 'the Santa myth'?
Why, Mythes Claus. She makes his hot coaco and cookies and irons his red furry long-johns.

Sasha did regain all his lost points Sunday, when we were making Christmas lists he asked, "What can we get for Santa?"

We are going to buy him new gloves.

Samarkand
Member # 8379

Are the new gloves going to wind up on your hands, or perhaps be given to a charity?
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the stories! "What can we get for Santa?" sounds like something my nephew would say.

This is off topic, Samarkand, but have you actually been there? I hadn't heard the name in years. Once upon a time I had an aunt that lived there. She said it was a magical place.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
HA!!! What an awesome kid.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's just too precious!

They still make Lincoln Logs? Neat. I love it when kids play with building toys. I can't wait to get Aerin Lincoln Logs and Legos.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, that's an awesome story. I only saw the 7x13=28 skit once and didn't get the chance to memorize it. I need to rewatch those movies. I can barely remember some of the funniest parts.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Words that have come out of my mouth that I never thought would.

Classic: "If you count to infinity again, I'll take you out of this restaurant."

Last Weekend: "Do not draw on the cat."

Tonight: "No, you can't have an airplane ride, but I'll let you crash."

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Count to infinity

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

No, I have not gotten to go to Samarkand yet. Or Zanzibar. Would like to go to both. And many other places. [Smile]
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew that's how you spelled Mythes!!! She's a cool lady.

Now I know!!!

I got a little confused on the short version...

; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and unmanly inside.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.