FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What kind of cereal do you feed your kids? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What kind of cereal do you feed your kids?
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I was walking down the cereal aisle of a CVS today and was amazed at the variety of cereals. I was also kind of disappointed- not many of them were healthy choices. I remember as a kid always wanting Fruity Pebbles, Lucky Charms, and Cookie Crisp. I wouldn't eat Cheerios or anything like that.

Now that I'm on my own(for the most part), I have to restrain myself from buying all those cereals I wanted as a kid. I know they're unhealthy, and I know I'm already a bit overweight.

So, do you let your kids eat the unhealthy cereals, do you make them eat the healthy stuff(despite not eating Cheerios, I was a big fan of Raisin Bran), or do you mix and match the two, using the unhealthy stuff as a treat once a week?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The healthy stuff, and sometimes a box of the garbage to be used as a cereal "topping". A sprinkling of Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch cereal on top of the shredded wheats and Cheerios can be a nice thing.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap bag-o-ceral generic instead of the overpriced box of the same thing, with milk and juice and vitamin for healthy, but then again my son is dangerously under-weight.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids only had packaged cereal on extremely rare occasions - certainly no more often than once or twice a year.

There are soooooo many other things to eat for breakfast... why would you want to eat any of that cr*p?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Kix.

The only time she gets sugared cereal is on Passover. The Passover cereal is so gross that you need it sweetened.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Grapenuts, Cheerios, and Trader Joe's Maple Pecan Crunch (which is kind of like Honey Bunches of Oats if it came in a maple pecan flavor, but better and organic and healthier.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Kix.

Yup, yup, yup.
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Grapenuts

Yup.
Sweeter things (Honey Bunches, Honeynut Cheerios, and similar -- nothing with funky colors or huge amounts of sugar) are once-a-week "Shabbos cereals."

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My kids get to pick out ONE bag of crap cereal per month. I also buy generic Cheerios and lots of oatmeal and malt-o-meal. Once the cereal's gone, it's gone and too bad we won't be getting any more until next month.

I do insist they eat fresh fruit (or at least some of my mom's home canned peaches or pears) and yoghurt every morning too.

I also sometimes (maybe once a month, if that) make pancakes or "thin pancakes" for breakfast. We also sometimes have scrambled eggs with cheese and toast. But we still get our fruit and yoghurt every day.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some healthy cereals that are still sweet enough to please a child. Special K, for instance, espeically if you get one with the child's favorite fruit. Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats are also sweet, and reasonably healthy. Chocolate-flavored malt-o-meal is very healthy, and was one of my favorites as a child. Of course, that's a hot cereal.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I buy one box of crappy cereal per month that we use as "dessert" when we're really dying for something sweet after a healthy dinner. Usually it's Lucky Charms. [Wink] But we are big consumers of breakfast cereal - usually Grape Nuts, Shredded Wheat, and Raisin Bran. I'm also a big fan of Special K Red Berries. Mmmmm.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from these responses, I wonder how much money those other cereals make. Also, I'm curious as to what kind of parenting is shown by those who only feed their kids what the kids want to eat.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Nails. No milk.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother used to feed me Raisin Bran, and this was a special treat for me, because my parents never bought it (they were fans of the now-defunct Product-19 and of Corn Flakes). Now I alternate between various whole-wheat cereals. I am not sure as to the exact facts of this, but from what I have heard from my parents (both pediatricians) and athletic coaches, being whole-wheat is the most important part, more important than being low sugar. I am fairly sure that Frosted Flakes are healthy enough, for example.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to mostly eat kix, crispix, chex. Now I mostly eat grape nuts and chex, if i eat cereal. My brother was the real cereal monster, though... he loves cereal. I always preferred toast or a bagel.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Frosted lard.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love the Raisin Bran! Only Kellog's, though, more sugar. [Big Grin]

And there's a balance between whole-grain and sugary, I think. I'd rather my daughter eat part-whole-grain cereal with a small amount of sugar than "100% whole grain" cereal whose second through fifth ingredients are different kinds of sugar.

Of course, why bother with either when there are things like the TJ's cereal out there-- organic, whole-grain, sweet but not too sweet. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The Malt-O-Meal brand of bagged frosted mini shreaded wheat is just as tastey as the National Brand and works for kids that don't go for the Grapenuts.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't everyone here know that Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs are a part of every kid's wholesome nutritious balanced breakfast? They're tasty, lip-smacking, crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and they don't have a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of that rich, fudgy taste.

The ones with marshmellow bits are the best. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Go calvin and hobbes!
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Grapenuts are the world's worst cereal.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Surely there are parents that feed their kids the sugary not-so-good-for-you stuff. They just don't want to admit it here.

My parents let me pick out what I wanted for cereal. They were just excited their kid ate a breakfast at all.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Grapenuts are the world's worst cereal
Say What? What would Euel Gibbons say? Now you just sit there and finish your russian thistle sprouts! Actually, I would take Grapenuts over any other mentioned product, except for the low number of servings in a box. (I still fill up the bowl.)
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
My little girl like her Daddy's Frosted mini-wheats and my Special K with the yogurt bits. I also give her Cinnamon Life. She seems to like it all as long as she gets her own spoon!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I count my husband as a kid? He acts like it sometimes...

He eats Fruit Loops and other sugar bomb cereals. Well, he sometimes eats other things for breakfast, too, but when he does cereal, he does sugar.

I, on the other hand, only eat bran. Yup, unflavored, unsweetened cardboard. Because there's so much rice in my diet here that that's what I gotta do. [Smile] And that was more information than you wanted to know. [Smile] I have it with kefir for the probiotic factor.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Surely there are parents that feed their kids the sugary not-so-good-for-you stuff. They just don't want to admit it here.

My parents let me pick out what I wanted for cereal. They were just excited their kid ate a breakfast at all.

Several people here have admitted to it. I myself alternate between Honey Nut Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the most delicious meal on the planet that can be prepared in under one minute. And my kids will never have to worry about being fat, so . . . *shrug* There are worse things I could do than feed them a cereal we all enjoy.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My brothers and I were allowed to pick our own cereal. My parents had veto power though. Occasionally, they'd let use get something uber-sugary as a treat. I liked the Reese Peanut Butter cereal when it first came out.

Most of the time it was Fruit Loops or Rice Krispies or Rice Chex (which I loved to top with fresh fruit.)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid (8 or 9), my mom let me have one box of chocolate cereal, I believe it was Cocoa Puffs. She then drew up a contract that stated she would never buy me another box of chocolate cereal again. I signed at the x and she still has that contract somewhere! I am now 23. I am so amused that she has saved that thing after all this time. [Smile]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I hate sugary cereal. I can't stand the taste. I'll eat Frosted Flakes plain, but with milk it's just disgusting. Raison Bran is too sweet for me, although I'll eat it in a crunch.

I adore cheerios and corn flakes, eat them for more meals than just breakfast.

I know, I'm a mutant.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love Lucky Charms when I was a kid, but my parents never got it. They stuck to Life or Cheerios or Rice Krispies. But then I never much ate breakfast after elementary school. I usually just chugged a cup of tea.

These days I try to eat a bowl of Rice Krispies or Cheerios.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
We usually stock up on store-brand versions of raisin bran, corn chex, frosted shredded wheat, cheerios, and rice crispies. We also get Life (plain, though the cinnamon is to die for). We sometimes get some of the cereals that have dried fruit and no added sugar. My wife likes a couple of the cereals made by Kashi; so do my kids, at least their Mighty Bites.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Aerin eats Cheerios or Special K. Mostly Cheerios. I measure out a baby serving (can't recall the amount right now, probably 1-3 ounces) and that's how much she gets. We don't exceed 3 servings per day. We have to be very careful about what she eats because of her reflux.

We do use Fruity Cheerios as a rare treat. It's sweetened with fruit juice so it's slightly less bad for her. We'll probably give her more when the time comes to put on weight for her surgery.

I never ate sugary cereal as a kid. I just can't stand the stuff. I ate mostly grits or oatmeal for breakfast or Crispix if there wasn't time for anything hot.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I go shopping we tend to have healthier cereals. When my husband gets sick of that, he'll go and get sugary cereals. Either way, my kids choose what they eat for breakfast (unless I'm making pancakes, oatmeal or something that actually requires something of me). They love Fruity Pebbles best.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
The kid likes cheerios but once in a great while she'll ask for fruity pebbles or fruit loops. Mostly she'd be happy eating the same thing every day but we let her mix it up when she wants to because it's really rare that she wants to deviate from the healthy cereal.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time Thomas has a sugary cereal is when he is sharing mine. [Wink] Usually Peanut Butter Crunch. He's perfectly happy having fruit, or yogurt, or a bagel, or pretty much anything for breakfast. I'm the picky eater that loves some sugary cereals.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oatmeal. With milk, banana, and a little honey.

Cream of Wheat. Cooked with milk. With added banana and honey.

For cold cereals, you might try some of the Barbara's Organic cereals -- I get one box of the Fruity Punch Wild Puffs for those a.m.'s when I just can't fathom making a breakfast.

Other breakfast options:

Yogurt and granola with fresh fruit.
Bagels and cream cheese with fresh fruit.
Scrambled eggs, toast, and fresh fruit.

Weekend Special: French toast or banana-nut pancakes with rhubarb-apple sauce.

Personally, I have stopped eating breakfast beyond half of a piece of fruit and my juice and coffee. The food mentioned applies to my growing, active, very slender son. He needs the calories, I don't. *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really lazy in the morning so I resort to lots of cold cereal. Kashi cereals, and from TJ's Triple Berry-Os. Toasted Oatmeal flakes, etc. Pretty healthy stuff. My kids have never tasted a sugar cereal. (They are 9, 7, and 4)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
I used to mostly eat kix, crispix, chex. Now I mostly eat grape nuts and chex, if i eat cereal. My brother was the real cereal monster, though... he loves cereal. I always preferred toast or a bagel.

I'm with your brother. I would LIVE off of cereal if I could. At least I only crave the good stuff, though. I can't get enough Shredded Wheat. WITH RASPBERRIES ON TOP.

OH NO...MUST GO TO GROCERY STORE AND BUY RASPBERRIES...RIGHT...NOW. THE SHREDDED WHEAT IS CALLING TO ME.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:

We do use Fruity Cheerios as a rare treat. It's sweetened with fruit juice so it's slightly less bad for her.

Oh, man. Fruity Cheerios is the greatest invention of the 21st century.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I feed my kids PhlebotomOs! They love it when the milk turns red.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody else have a cut up mouth after eating Fruit Loops? I know I have to let the milk soak in for about 1 minute before I can start eating it, then its a race to stay ahead of excess sogginess.

I'm a huge fan of Honey Nut Cheerios, it just seems nice and sweet but not unhealthy. Reces Peanut Butter Cups though my favorite candy, utterly abhore me as a cereal. My kids in the future can have,

Rice Krispies, Special K, Corn Flakes, Cheerios (of any variety) maybe even Frosted Flakes, but beyond that I'm guarded.

My wife on the other hand loves junk cereals, and it was only after having honey nut cheerios for the first time in over a decade that she realized it tasted just fine and the nutritional facts were much better.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I used to have that every time I ate original flavor Cap'n Crunch, BlackBlade, but I bought a box a couple of months back and discovered that they'd changed the way they were made. I've never had that with Fruit Loops, though. Do Apple Jacks do the same thing to you?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I used to have that every time I ate original flavor Cap'n Crunch, BlackBlade, but I bought a box a couple of months back and discovered that they'd changed the way they were made. I've never had that with Fruit Loops, though. Do Apple Jacks do the same thing to you?

Yes. I hated it growing up, all those shreads of skin. I always thought my mouth would toughen up, but that has not been the case.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
We ate crap cereal growing up. And poptarts! And those really bad for you toaster strudels, with the little packets of frosting.

>_>

<_<

We had healthy lunches and dinners, though. Mostly. Oh yeah, and we drank HiC and Tang instead of real juice. So there.

Now I eat Puffins cereal, and you should too. Reasonably healthy, tastes great. The peanut butter ones are like candy, I keep a box of them around for snacks when I need something sweet at night.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Me too, ElJay. Well, the poptarts and toaster strudels didn't come along until I was in junior high and being exposed to them at other kids' houses, but we got junk cereal on a fairly regular basis. It was kind of a treat item, and we ate lots of healthier cereal--Grape Nuts* has been my favorite cereal all of my life--but I never wanted for Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops.

*From pretty much the time I could eat solid food and articulate my demands until mid-grade school, my breakfast of choice was a bowl of grape nuts sprinkled with sugar and a mug of hot Tang.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The Special K Red Berries is actually really, really good. And Honey Nut Cheerios. Right now, I'm alternating between a couple varieties of Total. I mean, how big does your breakfast have to be? If you're going to add other things, probably stick with the lower calorie stuff, like Special K or something. But if you're just looking for food you can eat really quickly in the morning (or afternoon...or middle of the night), I really like the various Totals. Which is not to say I do not also appreciate the glory that is a box of Cocoa Rice Krispies.

I can't stand Pop Tarts. In fact, when I was a kid I rarely ate breakfast. I'd have a glass of chocolate whole milk before I went to school. 'course, a lot of times I'd be late for school because I was reading a book, and I was underweight as a child anyway.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids (3 and 1) are both in the very picky, very skinny category. I allow them to eat ANYTHING they will put in their mouths and swallow as long as it can even vaguely be called food. I offer them anything and everything and they make their own restrictions. They actually ingest a fairly well balanced diet. They will eat yogurt, fruit, beans, carrots and other such healthy treats. I allow any and all cereals and they choose healthy ones (cheerios, chex, special k) just as often as non (fruit loops, cocoroos). I don't stress too much about it. My only food rule is that they can't have candy without eating "real food" first.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, when I was still in elementary school I used to have two ego waffles a day for breakfast. Back when they were still... you know... decently good [Wink]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to eat poptarts and toaster strudels. I actually picked up some new poptarts the other day. I hadn't had any for years, but they have a new kind that you put in the freezer called milkshake poptarts that are actually very good.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
When we had cereal, we would have six or seven boxes of stuff on the table, some healthy, some not. For a while everyone's favorite was Cocoa Puffs. So yeah, I at the "crap" stuff a lot growing up.

On the other hand, we only had cereal about three times a week. My mom was big on hot cereals, eggs, and bran muffins.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents were big health nuts when I was a kid, and it's come back to bite me. As soon as I got out of their "no sugar, fifteen fruits a day, and squash and onions in EVERYTHING" household, I had absolutely no self control, and spent the next five years eating almost nothing but junk food. I'm trying to get my diet back to being balanced, because my metabolism really can't cope with so much junk food, but it's hard once you gain the weight, to take it back off.

For that reason, I've vowed to never completely RESTRICT anything from my son's diet. He's three now, and to be honest, eats MOST of his meals at daycare (I'm a single mom, I don't have a choice about that if I want to pay the rent.) However, at home, our favorite cereal is frosted mini-wheats (whatever brand is cheap at the moment). To me they're a good mix, there's lots of fiber, and most of them are vitamin fortified, but they've got that crunchy little crust of frosting that makes them super yummy.

However, I'm more an oatmeal than a cereal person. Nearly every weakday I eat breakfast at my dest at work. Apple-Cinamon quaker oats are easy to make in a cup, with hot water right out of the coffee dispenser.

When my son eats at home, he usually likes to have those "cereal bars" for breakfast. He also really LIKES fresh fruit, so I always keep banana's and grapes around. He'll eat them as often as "cookies" (gram crackers) for snacks. Since Halloween though, I've been fighting the candy battle. He really doesn't understand why he can't eat "his" candy whenever he wants... oh well...

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.