FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What kind of cereal do you feed your kids? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What kind of cereal do you feed your kids?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My son loves Cheerios and Kashi cereals.

My daughter loves sugar cereals, and can have them for dessert, but not for breakfast.

Both love oatmeal.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*fondly remembers when toaster strudels were kosher*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What changed, Rivka, the rules or the strudels?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
DDDaysh, I think you're right about restricting kids' diets causing problems a lot later. I mean, isn't that where the freshman 15 comes from? Kids aren't in their parents' homes anymore, where someone made sure they were eating semi-decent meals, and all of a sudden they're eating pizza and Ruffles every night.

I have a friend who's had trouble with weight from a young age, and I think a lot of it stemmed from a similar situation. Both of her parents worked, so they got her a lot of microwave-type foods. She's actually been losing weight since she went to school.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
What changed, Rivka, the rules or the strudels?

Heh. You're kidding, right? The ingredients changed, I believed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sadly, I was not kidding.
Some religions change their rules-apparently, not the rules that define what's kosher.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was funny when my Jewish boss signed up to bring the turkey AND ham for our thanksgiving luncheon.

I figure, as long as my son is eating a reasonably healthy diet, then letting him pick what to eat will be ok. Compared to alot of other kids his age, he's a great eater... and he's not fat or anything. He goes through chubby stages and then lean stages depending on his grown at the time, but nothing ever extreme on either. He eats almost anything, and has a tendency to like to eat ALOT... but will stop eating when he's full. He's also very active. My little cousin, on the other hand, is chubby and hardly EVER eats ANYTHING. Her parents consider icecream a food group, because it's one of the few things they can get her to consume that actually has something more than grease and sugar in it.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Some religions change their rules-apparently, not the rules that define what's kosher.

One of the differences between traditional (i.e., Orthodox) Judaism and the heterodox is that the rules don't change.

(This is likely to be debated by members of the heterodox.)

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter's big into Cheerios, Shredded Spoonfuls, and Chex. The aforementioned Malt-o-Meal Frosted Shredded Wheat and instant oatmeal envelopes are about the sugariest things that make it into the cereal bowl.

Although lately, my daughter wants a smoothie with every meal. Which isn't too bad a thing (milk, juice, frozen strawberries, yogurt, occasional bannana or other fruit)

quote:
Doesn't everyone here know that Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs are a part of every kid's wholesome nutritious balanced breakfast? They're tasty, lip-smacking, crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and they don't have a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of that rich, fudgy taste.
"Actually, they're kinda bland until you scoop sugar on them." -Calvin
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really interesting discussion to me. Can't directly contribute because I don't have kids, but I've been fascinated by the people who still love the "kids" cereals after all these years.

My mother never, ever gave me any of those...Fruit Loops, Kix, Cap'N Crunch, or like that...and I never asked for them. Didn't sound good when I was a kid, and don't sound good now. If she gave me cold cereal, it was corn flakes or Rice Krispies or Cheerios or shredded wheat. I rarely eat cold cereal now, although every once in a while I get a craving for flakes or krispies. Oatmeal was a big thing, and I still love that. When I was growing up, I also sometimes got a fried egg and toast for breakfast, with milk or orange juice. Pancakes were strictly a Sunday thing when I was growing up.

These days, more often than not, my breakfast consists of a slice or two of sourdough toast and an orange or a couple of tangerines. This isn't to say that I don't like breakfast foods, but anything elaborate often ends up being dinner instead of breakfast. Pancakes are still a favorite, as is french toast. I adore eggs, but I don't eat those too often and often when I want to make scrambled, I use no-cholestorol egg substitute instead of the real thing without really missing anything.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I don;t ever really eat breakfast- I have cereal in my room(Honey Nut CHeerios, plain Cap'n Crunch, and Fruity Pebbles- I used to have a box of Lucky CHarms as an occasional treat, but one of my roommates ate half the box without asking me), but I don't eat it often, at least not at breakfast time. Granted, I normally get up at noon, since my first class is at 12:30 most days, or else I go to my first class then go back to bed... but oh well.

When I'm home, my parents make us special breakfasts on Saturdays or Sundays, depending on our schedules. These can be eggs, toast, and bacon, bacon and pancakes, or something like that(we rarely get my mom to make sausage gravy and biscuits, but she does sometimes).

Actually, recently, I've only been eating one meal a day, a cross between lunch and dinner. I don't know why, I just haven't had an appetite. Probably from being sick.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like many of you don't know the wonderfullness that is Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

That's a good thing all around. For you, it's good because you don't know how addictive it is. For me, it's good because there's more of it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Eh. I've had it. It's not bad, but it goes soggy too fast.
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to eat cinnamon toast crunch as a dry snack, but I can't stand it in milk. unless I'm dipping it in milk.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.