FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What! They're refusing to sign the freaking loan! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What! They're refusing to sign the freaking loan!
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming in under $1000 Canadian shouldn't be a problem, even, since you have the video card and likely a few other parts (some/all of the RAM? DVD drive?) already.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I still dont really know how much my friend is selling me the parts for but he assures me it is considerably under 2000$ on OEM deals and no cost on labour, just buy the parts and we build it. And frankly my wish to get a new computer was never listed as a reason for irresponsibility, and even if it were it would be ridiculas, my dad already tried to veto my getting a laptop a few months back, I spent 800$ of my hard earned money on a laptop and for 1-2 weeks prior he had been ranting on how I didnt deserve it, how I would only play games on it, that for me it would only be a toy, that I would lose it, break it, etc that I refuse to make any "agreements" etc.

My mom still drove me to futuresho to get it, but the thing is my dad even went as far as to tell my mom not to drive me to get it, while I do have games on my laptop I havent played any of them in over a week, my laptop is 90% school 10% fun. My desktop will be 90% fun 10% work although I do not doubtt hat having new fast ram and such and such will come in handy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I do 70-90% of the time live by theyre rules, only because 70-90% of the rules have been reasonable, however every so often something or a series of somehings happen that leads to some pscological need in my father to "crackdown" on whatever behavior he happens to not like at the time and 9/10 times my brother ALSO does but ignores, when I call him on it his excuse is exactly: "Because it is alot easier to deal with you then it is with him."

He doesnt bother dealing ANYTHING with my brother, and easier? wtf!? All h does to make me do soemthing is threaten to cut the wires to the internet or withhold rides, I fail to see how I am less/harder to deal with based on his weapon of choice to force compliance out of me.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my dad already tried to veto my getting a laptop a few months back, I spent 800$ of my hard earned money on a laptop
Blayne, think about this for a second. Having bought a laptop just recently, why do you feel you can justify spending $2000 you do not have and have not earned on a desktop for "fun?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

How does my dad justify me not getting a laptop for school? Its all from the same tree, and my old desktop is dying anyways which costed around 2300$ anyways so I'm getting a machine thats 3 times better for far far less.

And its not 2000$ I get 2k but I am not spending 2k, I am spending far less.

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom's point was, why do you NEED two computers? I know you want one, but why is two computers necessary?
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I will be cannibalizing my own desktop of its videocard, dvd bruner and Harddrive so I really wont be having 2 computers.
Ben
Member # 6117

You have a Laptop. That is One Computer.

Now you also want a Desktop. That is computer #2.

Hell, you have your old Desktop now. You already HAVE 2 computers.

Why is having anything other than the laptop a need? I get you want it, but you have a computer to do all the work you need done on it (your laptop) and it sounds like you are somewhat successful gaming on it. I would consider not getting a new desktop right now and living with just the laptop. After you are out on your own and have some savings in the bank I would buy your new desktop with that, but in the meantime live with your new laptop.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Because I am a gamer, my laptop doesnt play games very well I have school, and a job, and soon the reserves with my spare time when I am not studying or working I want to play games asking a gamer why he needs a desktop is not a particularily good question, a laptop is only good for so much, but it only has an onboard video card its not gonna lay the next gen of games, its not even gonna play most of the games I currently play (exmaple BF2 or most flight sims), the loans are interest free for as long as I am a student and ONE summer in the army makes me 6000 dollars, I think its fine.
Ben
Member # 6117

I understand gamers need a robust machine to play the latest and greatest with the graphics pushed to the maximum, but dude, everything you have talked about here for the past two weeks points to you can't afford it!

Hell, I have been holding off for over a year to get a new graphics card, and I don't see it happening for many months yet because I cannot afford it. The games I've played lately I have had to push settings down to medium or sometimes even low. I do understand the demands.

Until you can afford a new machine with your own savings deal with what you currently are using. You obviously are able to play BF2 and the flight sims, you just said so, so you can live for a few months.

If you had no functional computer at all I could see maybe taking out a loan or credit card to buy one. But if you have a computer already, a New one, you don't need to be taking out a loan for another one.

(edit: I have no idea why I am getting worked up about this)

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Not really my moniter just died and my CRT is getting iffy as well, getting my video originally fried the power supply, which had to be replaced the RAM is 266mhz 1GB, there's always a risk of the hard drive dying and since it is MDG and they as it turns out ripped me off on nearly all the parts I suspect other things iwll be going down the tubes soon.

Man, Ben I'll soon be working TWO jobs it will perfectly be within the realm of affordability in good time, working the entirety of this summer alone will be able to pay off my loans and then some and I can get far more bursuries if my parents income is closer to 16,000 then 30,000 as my mom is currently implying.

She's currently caving in, its only a matter of time no one can resist these puppy dog eyes.

:edit:

My computer in theory can play my games but in practice (my destop that is) it always crashes, the cpu goes into an infinit loop on a regular basis and my MOBO was nearly fired when the power supply blew I am not nearly spending 2000$ on a computer.

Ben
Member # 6117

And that's great dude, but until you HAVE those two jobs and have the $1000 in cash (not borrowed) to spend on the computer, it's a bad idea to get one. Your laptop can work in the meantime. Working two jobs and going to school will yield less game time than you think anyhow.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, going into debt to support a hobby is not a good idea. You have a computer that suffices for school. Don't burden yourself with debt to play games.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, Ben I'll soon be working TWO jobs it will perfectly be within the realm of affordability in good time...
Then you wait until it's affordable, and THEN buy.

Honestly, this is a life skill that I think they should teach people in elementary school: if you're counting on future income to buy something you want (and do not need), wait to buy it until you've actually earned that income.

----------

Let me actually suggest something else: try NOT gaming for the first three months you spend in your new apartment. Do something else with your time.

You're going to be working, going to school, and possibly looking for a second job. Given the marathon gaming sessions you enjoy, that's not going to leave you enough time for sleep -- so something's got to give, and I strongly suggest that you try going cold turkey from gaming for a little bit to see if you can live on the alternatives.

Let me point out that the alternatives -- going out for coffee with friends, board game nights, bar hopping, pickup sports, etc. -- are probably healthier and more fun, anyway, and you might find that you prefer them to computer gaming once you try them. You might NOT, for that matter, but it's worth a shot (and there will never be a better time to get your feet wet in the real world than your first move into a new place).

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

But I really really really really really want it. Like this is a computer loan, meant for college students who need money to get a new computer, it is interest free for as long as I am a student which is probly for another 1-2 years, and even if I dont manage to pay off all of them when I get out of school then I'll have a full time job making probly a minimum of 47,000 a year Worse Case Scenario I go full time into the reserves in my clerk profession.

I'll be sure to research everything, check all the financial stuff and make sure it is within affordable limits, going for the "minimum" is never a good idea in a desktop generally its better to go for osmething better then yuo need so that when newer games comes out you can play them decently.

I do have at least ONE job and the army says I'll probly be enrolled within a week, courses will begin soon after.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
But I really really really really really want it.
Oh, grow up.
I really really really really really really want a new house. And a car with a backseat big enough to comfortably accomodate the two carseats we're going to need shortly. And a TV that isn't 34" thick and isn't slightly fuzzy at its maximum resolution. But I can't buy these things right now, as much as I want them, because to do so would require that I take out additional loans to cover those purchases and I don't want to expose myself and my family to the additional risk -- even though I'm fairly confident that we could afford it.

Blayne, there is NO good reason for you to do this, except possibly to learn the hard way that money you expect to be earning someday is not the same as money you actually have. And it's better to learn that lesson the easy way, believe me.

Ben
Member # 6117

I think Tom has a great idea with the cold turkey.

Assuming you cannot do that however, I stand by my PLAY games on your laptop no matter the limitations, deal with it.

A Want is different than a Need. Purchasing the desktop now could be the most irresponsible thing you could do and it certainly won't improve your relations with your family and how they view you. If you wait until, like I said earlier, have $1000 cash from your job to spend on a computer in your pocket, then they cannot say boo about how responsible you are.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I'm trying to think of a way to convey to you the immense freedom lack of debt provides and the restriction even moderate debt creates. Many of us learned this by struggling through it.

Think about this. Suppose you pay off the debt just as you graduate. Now, your computer is almost out of date (especially as a gaming machine), right? You need a new computer. Your choice is to wait and save or go into debt to upgrade.

Whereas, if you are correct about how fast you can earn the money, you can wait now, not have the loan if you happen to be wrong, and be saving up for the next computer for most of the time you remain in school.

And, if your interests change, you will be able to use the income that would go toward computer debt for your new interest.

This is the start of your financial life. Establish a pattern that allows you to keep and use the money you earn, not pay for something you've already done. Once you get over the initial hump of saving up, you won't notice the difference. But you will have greater freedom, greater control, and greater security.

Saving is paying yourself. Debt is paying someone else.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Let me also point out that the cash you hope to be getting from additional "bursuries" is really other people's money. It's money that's been taken from them by the government or generously donated to your school to make it possible for people who cannot afford an education to obtain one. It is not stolen from taxpayers so that the people of Canada can help you buy a gaming rig.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
CD$47,000 is US$41,000. I do not know anyone who made that much their first year out of undergraduate who did not also have prior work experience in their field. Also, many, many people don't find a job in their field right away after graduating. Just know that your expectations might be unrealistic.

I really really really really really want a bathroom with a shower, or at least a bathtub you can stand up in. I'll probably be able to afford the remodeling this spring, when I get my tax return and hopefully a bonus. I could easily take out a pretty low interest home improvement loan and do it now. And home improvement loans are meant for home owners who need money to make home improvements! And I'll have the money in six months, tops.

You know, unless my company doesn't pay out bonuses this year. Or my car breaks down and I need to spend my savings fixing it, and use the bonus to replenish my savings. Or I lose my job, or get sick, or any number of other things.

It's just better not to take out loans unless you absolutely need to. And really really want doesn't equal need. When you have the money in hand, buy the computer. In the meantime, make do with what you've got.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I am not spending bursuries on a new computer bursuries ill be spending on moving out, the loan is what I'll be getting a new computer with, now I've had my current computer for about 3 years now, had it not been by MDG and had my parents listened to me when they got it for me and have had it built by my friend I would not be having this conversation, working as a clerk full time in the reserves makes 47,000.

Dagonee's advice so far is the most compelling and I'll keep it under advisement when I apply for the initial student loans/busuries for the moving out thing. Th Computer loan is something I am automatically eligible for when I'm accepted for a standard financial aid.

Based on my parents income I am eligible for X amount of money for my education where it comes from is irrelevent. Its 2,000 in stanrd loan and 3.6k in bursuries which i intend to use to allow me to move out and sustain myself with 2 jobs, the additional 2k I can probly take at any time.

fugu13
Member # 2859

ElJay, many people are making more than that just out of undergraduate with only an internship or less under their belts. In my field (and Blayne's) the average starting salary is over that, and its not very unusual for people to make considerably more.

My sister just got hired with a BA in Math (she's graduating in December) by a tech company (despite little formal technical training and not much experience; they do their own training and hire people to think) for $55k with all moving expenses paid.

If one is willing to travel a lot, one can get paid a lot more very quickly, too -- all the major tech consulting companies have minimum starting pay around $50k, substantial bonuses, and fast raises (plus a lot of burnout).

That reminds me, my sister and her husband will be moving to Madison soon (March), so I'll have a good excuse to visit all the hatrackers around there [Wink] .

Starting salaries have gone up considerably, in part due to inflation. In many fields they're still around the $30-35k mark, but in many fields they're breaking $40-45k routinely.

However, Blayne, you can't count on that (edit: even in re the reserves. After all, lots of people in the reserves aren't clerks). You might end up in a job paying worse. Furthermore, you don't know what your circumstances will be surrounding that job. You'll be a lot happier if you can take your paychecks and spend them as you need and want then instead of having to earmark large sums for loan payments.

I'll be graduating with a large amount of debt. Then I'll be putting off paying a lot of it while I get a PhD (though in the nine months before starting that program a substantial part of the money I earn will go to paying down the loans). Almost all of my debt has been for tuition and living expenses. Be glad you have an opportunity to have a lot less debt, and take advantage of it. Debt is a tool to be used judiciously, not an opportunity to get the latest toys you want.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost 9 years ago we built a house with a two-story greatroom and put the cable on an 18 foot tall wall. We owned a tiny, rickety entertainment center that fit in our old house and a 27 inch television. Our intention was to buy a new entertainment center with bookshelves that was tall and would take up a lot of wallspace, as well as a new tv. We couldn't afford it at the time, though so we just moved in the old stuff and said we'd wait.

In the following years tv moved toward hD. We decided to wait until we could afford an HD tv, and that obviously changed what type of entertainment center we'd buy.

We just last week had our new entertainment center and tv purchased and installed. We paid cash for both.

Let me tell you, I enjoyed watching the Duke basketball game last night on my HDTV and new entertainment center but I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if I'd still owed thousands of dollars on the combination. I waited just one month shy of 9 years, Blayne and guess what? Waiting didn't harm me in the least. It taught me the value of not putting things on credit. I wish I'd learned the lesson even earlier in my life and marriage. We're trying to give you advice that will help you in the future. You dont' need two new computers. Either keep your laptop and use it, or if you're heart is set on a new gaming desktop you should have bought that instead of the laptop. Whether you accept our advice or not is up to you, I suspect you will not and will spend money that is intended for your education on a toy you don't really need. I find that sad, and I certainly don't blame your parents for hesitating to help you be irresponsible.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
And a car with a backseat big enough to comfortably accomodate the two carseats we're going to need shortly.

{derail} did I miss an announcement???? Congrats to both of you!!!! {/derail}

I'm curious about something. This 2K "computer loan" that you're applying for - is it specifically required to be for a computer? How do they know what you're actually spending that money on? I'm trying to understand if there's a mature reason for your insistence that you get another new machine that somehow we aren't getting.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
had it not been by MDG and had my parents listened to me when they got it for me and have had it built by my friend
That's another thing. I don't think you're being careful enough about your friend. Before he builds it -- IF you decide to go through with this -- try putting the parts list up on this site. We'll be able to tell you if it's a good deal or not.

---------

quote:
That reminds me, my sister and her husband will be moving to Madison soon (March), so I'll have a good excuse to visit all the hatrackers around there...
fugu, is your sister going to be working for Epic? If so, and if it's not a done deal yet, warn her off. The company's a meat-grinder nowadays.
fugu13
Member # 2859

I don't think it was epic, though I'll check. Its a low travel position, and when she interviewed she got to talk to a lot of random people working there and liked the work environment quite a bit.

You are right, though, many times the high salaries involved nowadays are tied to 'meat-grinder' workplaces involving routine 60-70-80 hour plus weeks and extensive travel.

She's not going to be there long term (and the place understands this), she's hoping to work four to six years while her husband gets his nursing degree and has a chance to work some, then they're returning to India with their savings when they have enough and opening a small business, a bed and breakfast/English school.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I was just concerned because I've seen a lot of young programmers and software architects come to Epic recently, lured by the promise of their old, laid-back environment, a new building, and high salaries. They've even offered me a job. And sadly, while the people who've been there from the beginning are still treated fairly well, the people they're hiring nowadays are being treated like cattle who just happen to know how to code -- and since so many of them are fresh out of college, they don't know that it's neither normal nor required.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well, no worries about knowing how to program or be a software architect in her case; she has minimal training in how to use a database and do a tiny bit of VBA, I think. Her job position is more IT systems-related, doing work related to planning installs of RFID inventory management and the like, or contemplating major purchasing decisions. I will find out if its for Epic, though.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Blayne,

Just a thought - any chance of financing the "new" computer by selling parts from the "old" computers on eBay (for example)? Unless you are into home networking or have some sort of cluster happening you don't really need more than one box...

Mind you, I would consider the advice you are getting here VERY seriously.

There are NO guarantees. Only death, taxes and repayments. Banks don't care how tough your life is, how unfairly you are treated or what excuses you have. They want their money back; every month, on time and no buts.

Think twice about every penny you get on credit. It's not easy money. Look at the conditions of the loan. You will probably end up paying twice the street value of your machine. If you save the cash, you'll get a better box and not have a cold feeling in your bank account at the end of every month.

If I sound like I'm preaching it's just that in a couple of years time I don't want to read a thread entitled "What! They're foreclosing on my freaking loan!"

Good luck with whatever you decide. I for one wish you every success!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yes there's 2 thou thats offered explicitedly to get a new computer and computer related assesories.

I'lld probly keep the old box to act as a linux server, since I do scripting now.

47k$ was the minimum the recruitment person told me I could make full time in the reserves in the current trade I have chosen (administration).

My friend I have known for 3 years ish, its not him exactly its his father I'm getting the parts from:

His dad is an electrical engineer for a company that makes robotic arms for factories, so to help his company dans dad started a home computer store, kinda like those order parts online kind of things, he gets really good deals for his company.

Basically for anything voer a thousand $ you get ALOT more of your moneys worth, industrial grade machines at a low price, the actual cost of making say a 60$ power supply is 15 cents, its not hard to lower your prices and still make a profit.

I already got a brand new 600$ video card for only 206$ a ATI x850XT.

So far I am veyr satisfied with both the power supply and the video card I have purchased from my friend's dad. Ill get the parts from his dad and my friend will build my machine, he has built his own 4000$ machine and it works fine.

fugu13
Member # 2859

A useful bit of information for you: military recruiters lie. I'm not saying this one was lying in this instance, I'm saying there are frequently recorded instances of military recruiters lying (its even a common trope in military stories), and that you cannot know if he is lying in this instance. Furthermore, being in the reserves does not mean you will be able to get a full time position with them. It does not mean you will be able to get a full time position in administration even if thats your area of specialization.

There's more than 15 cents worth of metal in a power supply, and given the extraordinary commoditization on everything except a few key components, I think you'll find that most places are selling at near cost (don't forget cost includes inventory space, advertising, et cetera).

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

fugu:

1) This is Canada and there is a genuin shortage of administration people all over Canada the chances are pretty high.

2) However if yuor a home buisness who already works for a bigger buisness and only just buys the power supply from the manufacturor you can reduce the costs by alot, in this case I got a new power supply for 60$ when it was closer to 80$.

Ben
Member # 6117

Blayne, I went to a thrift store and bought a 17 inch CRT monitor for $10 a few months back. Why not just go buy a cheap monitor to get your current desktop back up and rely on that for say, give yourself at least 6 months to get on your feet before making such a large investment?

[ November 22, 2006, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,

You're super wrong about power supplies. I'm an electrical engineer in the energy business. The place where I work both designs and builds product. We operate in more of a niche market, selling to power plants mostly, and would kill to have the kind of profit margin you're describing.

In a super competitive market, like computer components, most of those parts are going to cost fairly close to what you pay for them- there is more of a reliance on volume than profit margin. Besides the electrical, mechanical, and approvals engineers involved in a simple project like a power supply, there's also a printed circuit board that costs more than $.15, transformers, and heck, even a decent 470uF capacitor can cost an order of magnitude higher than your supposed price for the whole unit.

Sorry for the rant, but take Tom's advice and post the list for people to give you feedback. More importantly, take everyone's advice and wait until you have $ in hand to buy it.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, I dunno how often you check sake, but I PM'd you there with my response about starting salaries, as it goes quite off topic for this thread. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I really really really really really want it.
You have been given very solid advice in the thread Blayne. The advice is logical, sound, beneficial, and has thousands (if not millions) of life examples to prove its' accurateness. It has also been offered in a sincere effort to support and help you.

Having wants dictate your purchases is a sure way to make your life financially insolvent.

I don't think you will listen because maturity cannot be forced. I do think you should bookmark this page for future reference.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i have and i already said ill keep the advice under advisement once i get more information, I highly doubt im spending anywhee near 2,000$.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I understand that you really really really really want it and that this loan is specifically for buying a computer. But what you need to remember is that it is still a loan and you will have to pay it back with interest. If this is a student loan, you won't have to make payments or pay interest until you graduate, but eventually you will have to pay back that $2000. So 2 - 3 years down the road this computer will be worth nothing but you will still owe $2000 for it. At that point you are going to really really really want a new computer, and a place to live, and possibly a car and furniture and who knows what else and that $2000 computer loan will mean you have to go without some of those things or borrow even more money.

Right now a $45 K/yr job you might get after graduation sounds like a lot of money, but trust me it won't be nearly as much as it sounds. First off, by the time the deduct your taxes and benefits, you will only be get 1/2 to 2/3 of the $45 K. Most people are shocked at how much smaller their first pay check is than they expected. Second, you will have a whole slough of expenses you aren't thinking about. You will probably need a car to get to work which will mean you will need car insurance. Your job probably won't let you wear the ratty jeans and T-shirts you wear to school so you will need new clothes. You probably won't be able to easily find a bunch of young people to room with, so your rent will go way up. You will probably be sick of eating mac and cheese and living with Salvation Army furniture. You will likely want to start saving for a down payment on a house. You may even be thinking of getting married or at least spending more money on dating. All those things will eat into that "big salary" much much more than you expect.

The bottom line is that if you take this $2000 loan now to buy the computer that you "really really really really want" right now, it will absolutely mean going without something that you "really really really really want" in the future.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

47k$ was the minimum the recruitment person told me I could make full time in the reserves in the current trade I have chosen (administration).

This is total crap. No question.

Blayne, I didn't express this very strongly before, but I think that you might want to wait a few years before joining the military, if you can.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a figure like that Blayne, when I was going to school. What I found out is that I wasn't getting paid $45K, but that the real salary was somewhere around $30K. The recruiter used value of the housing, discounted food, no sales tax on base, health benefits, etc to say say it was 45K.

That would have been like my current employer overstating my offer by rolling in the fact that there's no state income tax in Nevada, adding what the company copays for my health insurance, cost of a gym membership (because they provide an onsight gym), cost of an onsight doctor, etc. Instead, they just told me the salary offer, described the benefits, and let me weigh it against other offers. You should expect as much from the military.

Be careful to ask questions, get everything broken down for you, get independent verification, and read the fine print. At least the recruiter was honest with me when I confronted him about the apparent discrepancies (by looking up officer pay and doing some simple math).

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
People, as much as I appreciate that you're trying to help Blayne, please keep in mind that I need him to finish our Great Game. Just a few more weeks, then he can be as financially responsible as you want! We've been playing since 1066, and I would really, really hate to have to quit when we're only 50 years from the end. I want to see where this world goes. So any moratorium on gaming is certainly going to have to wait until we're done.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
KOM, Can't he play with you on his laptop?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can't he play with you on his laptop?
Holy crap.

I didn't read KoM's post, so this post was quite a shock considering it came from The Rabbit. [Eek!]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Kat, Get your mind out of the gutter!

That was laptop as in laptop computer, not "lap".

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Its too bad you didn't make this thread earlier Blayne. My office had some surplus flat screen monitors, and some cpus. You could have salvaged I am sure.

Blayne my advice is in the save the money til you can afford it camp. I cannot stress how close I have come to debt but have stayed out by the skin of my teeth. Honestly speaking if you are careful with your expenditures such as eating grocery food that you cook and looking for the good deals, I imagine if you have a full time job and you wait around for you tax return there will be enough there coupled with your income to buy a very good computer.

I can completely understand why you will want gaming as an option. Going to a new environment can be tough business and gaming provides a comforting familiarity. But I seriously suggest you use your old computers in any capacity you can for just a few months so you can get your finances in order. Until they are, wants simply must be on the backburner.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I don't believe in cars, only mass transit so problem solved and a veyr large fraction of persons expenses made smaller.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll also chime in on "save money until you can afford it." Seriously. Whether or not you think you'll be spending $2000 isn't the issue. The issue is that you're buying something significant that you don't actually need with money that you don't actually have. A loan isn't money that you have. A loan is money that you aren't going to have later.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
People, as much as I appreciate that you're trying to help Blayne, please keep in mind that I need him to finish our Great Game. Just a few more weeks, then he can be as financially responsible as you want! We've been playing since 1066, and I would really, really hate to have to quit when we're only 50 years from the end. I want to see where this world goes. So any moratorium on gaming is certainly going to have to wait until we're done.

Since this is so important to you, I'm sure YOU'd be happy to give him that $2000. Hey, let's say just say $1000 for the cheaper option that was recommended earlier.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I thought.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

That'll teach him to speak with his tongue firmly in cheek.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.