FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tattoos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tattoos
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Mongolia right now and I'm leaving in a couple of weeks. Before I go, I really want to get a tattoo. I was wondering what y'all think about tattooing in general and more particularly the reasons and motivations behind them. Have you got any great tattoos? Why'd you get them? Where are they? Do you still like them? I'm just filled with a rapacious curiosity about this and would love to hear stories, opinions, pictures if you've got them; everything that comes to mind and that you are willing to share.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I like tattoos that are very artistic and are meaningful to the person. I tend to dislike the look of tattoos that are just done on a whim. Personally, I like the human body as it is, so most of the time I think it looks better sans art. Every once in a while, I'll see a really great tat which makes me have second thoughts.

If you decide to go for it, I hope you get a good one [Smile]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get a tattoo unless you are absolutely sure you want one. My aunt says you should get something very small first (she used "a ladybug on your ass" as an example) if you're planning to get a big tat, because they're pretty painful.

If I were getting one (which I'd like to someday), I would get a Celtic design on the small of my back.

Keep us posted though, I wanna know what you end up doing!

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Also don't get anyone's name... becuase later in your life you'll probably regret it.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been semi-interested in a tattoo for some time, but every time I think about it, I can't imagine anything that I want inked in my skin forever.

I've known several people who aren't very happy with early tats they got, because it seemed cool at the time, but now they find them ugly. Then you have to live with it, get a coverup, or get it lasered off.

Kind of a measure twice, cut once scenario [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My niece deeply regrets the first tat she got when she was 13 - she was exercising very poor judgement on her tat choice. She's since gone on to get two or three or so more since then, and a couple or so years after each one, she regrets that one, so ends up getting another. [Dont Know]

For one of them, I was with her. I was curious what it was like and asked to tag along. The place was clean, the artist was decent enough, except that my niece got a lady bug, and the artist decided at the last minute that it didn't look right, so gave it four pairs of legs instead of the three it should have had. [Roll Eyes] You know, there was a reason the photograph that my niece had in her hand had only three pairs of legs. Cuz, you know, that's the way they come except in, oh, I don't know, Chernobyl, maybe.

Personally, I'm not fond of them, on me or on anyone else. They're permanent, with the exception of extremely painful and expensive laser removal (when it works, which isn't always). I'd rather get funky clothes or dye my hair hot pink or something - much less permanent, no pain involved, and if it's something I really regret, it's quick & easy to fix.

I can think of no reason to encourage anyone to get one.

In the end, thought, it's your choice, of course. Good luck with the decision.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine on a whim six years ago and have never regretted it. I have a dragon on my lower back and it barely hurt at all. Be aware, if you have any Irish in your ancestry, you may have thick skin and require the big needle to get a clean line. My advice? Don't look at the needle.

I think the real trick is to put the tat somewhere you won't see it all the time. Mine is a nice surprise in the morning when I look in the mirror. If I had to see it a lot, I'd probably be sick of him by now.

Have you always wanted a tattoo or are you just looking for a souvineer? If it is an impulse buy, do you generally enjoy doing something a little crazy now and then? My step-sister got one because people told her she was the type who wouldn't get one. I think that's kind of sad. As long as it's for you, you should be ok.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a geometric design based on my initials (MMH) along my spine, just below my collar line. It's only a couple inches long.

It may be because the tattoo is along my spine, but when I was getting it done, for a few minutes it felt like the needle was working on my right upper right arm. I thought that was weird and mentioned it to the artist, who said it's a pretty common occurrence.

I'd like to get more ink, but money's a bit tight at the moment and a tattoo is something I'd rather pay a bit more for to make sure it's done right.

I guess I'd just advise you to bring in your design with you, even if it's only a rough sketch. The tattoo artist can redraw it if necessary, and it'll help give them a clear idea of what you're looking for.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my star sign symbol on my right shoulder. I've always associated strongly with the perceived Leo characteristics, good and bad, and it's a constant reminder to me of both the things I should strive for and the things I need to keep in check.

I've had it now for almost ten years and I still love it.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love tattoos
Especially black ones.
I want to get a black butterfly on me when I publish my novel.
Or maybe finish it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one tatoo and I'll have another as soon as a certain Hatracker (who shall remain nameless) finishes the design. [Big Grin]

The one I have I got two years ago, after Chris and I had been together for a year. It's a Sagittarius symbol (An arrow with an arc through the shaft, representing a bow) and it's surrounded with flames making it look like the arrow is in flight. Chris designed it and has the exact same tatoo. Mine is on the back of my left leg, on the calf. Chris's is on his back over his right kidney. Since we're both Sagittarius it works as a personal tatoo, and since we both have the same one it's as meaningful as having his name tatooed on me, but without the risk.

As for pain, to me it just felt like getting kneaded by a psychotic kitty on crack. It was mildly irritating, but not particularly painful. Chris has a huge tatoo on his right front side, that extends over his hip bone and perilously close to his crotch. He's the most ticklish and sensitive-skinned person I know, so if he can endure a tatoo there, nobody else should have a problem anywhere.

I'd discourage getting a tatoo on a whim, even though I sorta got mine on a whim. I had been thinking about tatoos for years, but hadn't decided on a design. I took Chris to get his tatoo and liked the design so much I got the same one for myself. That was two years ago and I'm eager to get another one. (see above). Bottom line is that only you can know how committed you are to a tatoo and a specific design. Don't get it if you have the slightest doubt about keeping it for life.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
You could go surfin' and see a variety of patterns.

What are you doing in Mongolia? A trip I would love to make.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I love tattoos and would very much like to get another one (I have a design picked out, but I can't figure out where to put it.) It's definitely not something you should do on a whim, though. I got mine after wanting it for years, and I can't imagine myself regretting my decision, but you should think it through (a lot!) before you go for it. I tend to prefer tattoos that have a personal meaning to someone, and I agree with the above posts that say getting someone's name is a bad idea. It really comes down to what you want, though. I have seen some tattoos that I thought were pretty hideous, but the owners loved them, and that's what counts.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered it for a bit, but I haven't found a design that I'd want to have on my body for the rest of my life yet. Though I find getting one in the shape of the helix symbol from Heroes really tempting, just for sheer coolness value. So far, I've been able to resist such a stupid idea.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Red vs. Blue's PSA concerning tatoos

[ November 23, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one, haven't regretted it, and have another planned for some day.

I am curious, though -- why do you want to have the tattoo done in Mongolia?

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been considering getting a tattoo, but I can't figure out where I'd put it. Preferably, I'd like it to be somewhere where it wouldn't show if I were wearing most dresses/gowns...
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You could get one on your butt that says "Exit only".
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's possible to take tattooing beyond the point of good taste, but I believe few people do that. I love tattoos. I especially love mine. I have two so far.

On my lower back, I have a knot-and-hound design from the Book of Kells. Its meaning is twofold - I am of Celtic descent (distantly, of course) and the particular time period during which the Book of Kells was written has always fascinated me. I also have a very strong kinship with dogs. I am a really great dog trainer, and I love being around dogs, so the hound design is fitting for me.

My other tattoo is on my right inside ankle. It's the Black Rabbit of Inle from Watership Down (specifically, this design is from the movie, although the book has more meaning to me). I got it shortly after my father passed away. My dad got me interested in reading, and watched Watership Down for the first time with me. It's one of my favorite books and movies ever, partly because I have such strong connections between it and my dad. He once told me that he wanted "Bright Eyes," the song in the movie (that plays when the Black Rabbit appears) played at his funeral. Unfortunately, we were not able to find the sheet music for his funeral, so we played another Art Garfunkel song instead. I got the tattoo as my way of honoring his memorial wish - permanently. [Smile]

I am planning to get the design of El-ahrairah (also from the movie) on my other ankle some day soon. El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit also represent opposite sides to life to me, so I'd like to have both tattoos for symmetry. [Wink]

My tattoos are all in places that are easily hidden by clothes, though. That's important (for me).

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I've got a geometric design based on my initials (MMH) along my spine, just below my collar line.

Those were my initials before I got married! [Smile]

I'd consider getting a tattoo if I could think of something that I'd want to keep on me forever. I can't think of something like that right now.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
The one I have I got two years ago, after Chris and I had been together for a year. It's a Sagittarius symbol (An arrow with an arc through the shaft, representing a bow) and it's surrounded with flames making it look like the arrow is in flight. Chris designed it and has the exact same tatoo. Mine is on the back of my left leg, on the calf. Chris's is on his back over his right kidney. Since we're both Sagittarius it works as a personal tatoo, and since we both have the same one it's as meaningful as having his name tatooed on me, but without the risk.

If you don't mind my saying so, that is absolutely adorable. And you gave me an idea. [Smile]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those were my initials before I got married!
I'll still consider you an honorary MMHer. We're a very elite group. [Smile]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm not big into tattoos, though I do find the technique fascinating. The idea of having a picture on my body forever is scary to me.

But, for those who ARE into it , the thing I've heard repeated before is that it is important to do a little research about the person who intends to give you the tattoo. Try and see other work they've done and what their style is. Tattoo artists are not created equal, so I've heard.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough people think about removal of tattoos before they get them. While you may very much want one now, you may decide someday it may not be appropriate anymore. For that, there is laser tattoo removal. We do this procedure at the office I work at. It is painful, very expensive (requires many treatments that cost a few hundred dollars per session) and doesn't work all of the time (especially on certain colors, like greens). Please consider these things before going through with it.

*For the record, I am not at all against people getting tattoos. I find many attractive, if done tastefully. I just hope you take some time to pick the right design and a place you won't regret.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

Cool. Saxon- [ROFL]
I'm in Mongolia for a study abroad program and I'm almost done. I want to get it here because I'm going to get a tattoo done either now or when I get back to the sates and it is much, much cheaper here. About thirty for a decent sized armpiece as opposed to up to two hundred back home. I've been looking and talking to everyone I can find about tattoos here and I think I've found the best tattoo parlor in all of Mongolia. An American buddhist lama go a tattoo there and highly recommends it. I've been thinking about a tattoo for a while and I'm going to get a tribal design. I'd prefer something original, but right now I'm going for a stylized sun with a dragon in the middle. It's important that I can cover it up for work so I think I'm going to get it on my chest. I really appreciate all your suggestions.

On a side note, I'm doing some research into the prison population here and almost all the prisoners I've talked to have tattoos. These are prison tattoos and they get them by melting rubber-usually from sandals-and then dipping a needle into the bubbling tar and piercing the skin. Most of the ones I've seen are on the hands and chest and I don't know if there are any specific symbols or reasons.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think tattoos are great. [Smile]
I have two myself, one on my upper right arm of the seal of my fraternaty, and a much larger one across my back (shoulder blade to shoulder blade) of gothic scrollwork/vines with a 'fleur de lis' in the center.

Tattoos have meaning for me because you have to earn them, ie suffer the pain of the application. They have helped mark some important times in my life. I also like the adornment of my body. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you could get a tattoo on your scalp to disguise your thinning hair? And as the hairline recedes more, you can go back for more tattooing. That might be cool.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

When I was little I formulated a plan to combat the hair loss my dad was undergoing. I planned that if I ever started to lose my hair, I'd just shave my entire head and then tattoo a dragon all over my skull. I've seen pictures of guys with shaved heads who've faces tattoed on the back of their skulls, so when you see them from behind at first it almost looks as if hendrix was looking back at you.

On the other hand you could go the route of calvin and hobbes and try to draw hair on. That might work. [Roll Eyes]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TimeTim:
[Roll Eyes]

Ha! It looks like you are trying to see the top of your bald, green head.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

Only green with envy, I assure you oh hairless one:

http://la.indymedia.org/uploads/2005/06/bald01.jpg

Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, have been thinking of getting a tattoo. Currently, 2 things are stopping me:

1. I'm really battling with the permanence of it.
2. I can't think of where I'd put it.

I've been talking about getting a tattoo for about a year (as has my wife, we're planning on going together as soon as we both REALLY want one and think it's a good idea).

However, I know EXACTLY what I'd get: Stoke's theorem! This is one of the shortest and more powerful/useful theorems of mathematics.

Wow, I'm such a nerd.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a very specific tattoo when I was about 20:
LINKY to pic

Let me just say that the above linked picture was taken shortly after the tattoo was done.

It is now 25 years later, and..um.. the image has stretched some, and the words are unreadable (except for the Daddy part). It is even hard to kinda tell what it is now.

But I don't regret getting it, because it was a specific tat for a specific reason at a specific time in my life, and meant a lot to me.

That said, get a reputable tattoo artist. Someone who really knows art (my tattooist had to do mine free-hand from a photo). Make sure they use all clean, sterilized equipment and have a good reputation. Make sure whatever it is will be something you will still want 25 years down the road.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mathematician:
I, too, have been thinking of getting a tattoo. Currently, 2 things are stopping me:

1. I'm really battling with the permanence of it.
2. I can't think of where I'd put it.

I've been talking about getting a tattoo for about a year (as has my wife, we're planning on going together as soon as we both REALLY want one and think it's a good idea).

However, I know EXACTLY what I'd get: Stoke's theorem! This is one of the shortest and more powerful/useful theorems of mathematics.

Wow, I'm such a nerd.

My geometry teacher in highschool has the pythagorean theorem on his right bicep. Yeah, it was nerdy as hell, but most everyone thought it was pretty awesome anyway, which effectively cancelled the nerdiness out.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I wonder if you could get a tattoo on your scalp to disguise your thinning hair? And as the hairline recedes more, you can go back for more tattooing. That might be cool.

I remember seeing some photos of this that are startlingly convincing, except that the surface is, of course, still flat. It's much the same as tattooed nipples for post-reconstructive-surgery breast cancer patients; the visual effect can be very convincing if viewed from the proper angle, but isn't terribly effective otherwise.

Also, the examples I saw were on people with no hair whatsoever, not partial hair with the gaps filled in. I'm not sure how that would look.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by DaisyMae:

But, for those who ARE into it , the thing I've heard repeated before is that it is important to do a little research about the person who intends to give you the tattoo. Try and see other work they've done and what their style is. Tattoo artists are not created equal, so I've heard.

Yes - this is so true. A friend of mine decided one night to go get a tattoo with no planning (cringe). She ended up with a really ugly design that had a SKULL hidden (not very well) within the shading. We found out later that the stupid skull thing was that tattoo artist's way of "signing" his work. Nice. Put a freaking skull on somebody permanently who didn't want one in the first place.

Beware!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an aunt with a 'good' tattoo story, one she's more than happy to share as a cautionary tale.

One night her and some friends got drunk and decided to self-tattoo. They wanted something very abstract and spiritual . . . so she ended up with several blue dots on her face, including one good-sized one in the middle of her forehead.

She's had that one and I think one or two of the others surgically removed, but she keeps a couple of the ones that just look like tiny blue moles, I think as a reminder.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:

Wow, I'm such a nerd.

Dude, that is AWESOME.

A friend of mine wants to get pi on one ankle and an h-bar on the other. Just because she loves the way they look (but she is also a colossal nerd).

Edit: That is, the symbol pi - the Greek letter. Not the actual number in Arabic numerals. Eek.

Bonus edit: I just remembered that she also shaved pi and h-bar into her horse's butt this winter when she clipped him. It was possibly the coolest thing that's ever happened in all of Redmond.

MEGA bonus edit: I found the pics of her horse's "tattoos."
http://www.chinookstudios.com/temp/hbar1.jpg
http://www.chinookstudios.com/temp/hbar2.jpg

Enjoy, all ye nerds.

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I have an aunt with a 'good' tattoo story, one she's more than happy to share as a cautionary tale.

One night her and some friends got drunk and decided to self-tattoo. They wanted something very abstract and spiritual . . . so she ended up with several blue dots on her face, including one good-sized one in the middle of her forehead.

She's had that one and I think one or two of the others surgically removed, but she keeps a couple of the ones that just look like tiny blue moles, I think as a reminder.

Oh, man. Ohhh, no. Was this, by chance, in the 70s?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Top 10 Worst Things to Hear at a Tattoo Parlor...

10. "EAGLE? I thought you said beagle..."
9. "We're all out of red, so I used pink..."
8. "There are two O's in Bob, right?"
7. "Sorry sir, but your chest will only hold the Battle Dinghy..."
6. "That call was for you. Hope you meet someone else named Tahiti Sweetie.."
5. "Gosh, I hate it when I get the hiccups!"
4. "Anything else you want to say? You've got plenty of room back here..."
3. "I'll bet you can't tell I've never done this before..."
2. "The flag's all done, and you know, the folds of fat make a nice waving effect!"
1. "Oops!"

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

Wow. I think that all your "nerdy" tattoos are pretty sweet. A PolySci guy I know got "Knowledge is Power" in latin on his right bicep. Everybody thought it was extremely cool.
I'm going over to the best tattoo place in Mongolia sometime today so I'll check out their work and see if I can pick out a design. The place is pretty unprepossessing, it's in the back of a nail salon, and in the front, the only thing to announce it is a large sign that says Tattoos. Telling that its in English. The Mongolian is Shives.

I don't know about y'all, but sometimes I spend entirely too long looking at pictures of tattoos on the net. Yesterday was a case in point when I spent oh, I don't know, maybe four hours obsessively checking out picture after picture. One tattoo site that I would definitely check out is Vanishing Tattoos

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
quote:

Wow, I'm such a nerd.

Dude, that is AWESOME.

A friend of mine wants to get pi on one ankle and an h-bar on the other. Just because she loves the way they look (but she is also a colossal nerd).

Edit: That is, the symbol pi - the Greek letter. Not the actual number in Arabic numerals. Eek.

Bonus edit: I just remembered that she also shaved pi and h-bar into her horse's butt this winter when she clipped him. It was possibly the coolest thing that's ever happened in all of Redmond.

MEGA bonus edit: I found the pics of her horse's "tattoos."
http://www.chinookstudios.com/temp/hbar1.jpg
http://www.chinookstudios.com/temp/hbar2.jpg

Enjoy, all ye nerds.

The lead singer of one of the bands I used to work for has pi tattooed on the nape of his neck...it's quite visible, since he has a shaved head.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to get the Chinese character for perserverance on my left shoulder, but I don't think I have the guys to do it. Still, I've always been fascinated with tattoos.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about doing a couple different tattoo ideas. I considered getting something in Latin, then when I started dating Raia, considered something in Hebrew, but I usually don't go for anything tied to someone I'm dating.

But the two ideas I've had the longest are:

1. Family coat of arms
2. The Canadian maple leaf with the French Tricolor set inside it (I'm of French-Canadian ancestry). Though I've been roundly told by everyone that this'll look horrible since white is one of the colors, and it'd look wretched on my pale skin.

Also thinking about something with the fleur de lyse. Always thinking about it, rarely ever seriously.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get a Chinese symbol, make sure you have someone you trust make sure it means what you think it means. I had a class in college with a Chinese instructor and one day she just sat there staring at someone's tattoo with this confused look on her face. Finally she asked for the story and the student was like, oh this means peace. The instructor just shook her head and was like, this is peace, see, it is close but not what you have. (I think the tattoo meant slow). The student sat there arguing that the tattoo artist said it meant peace and dang it that is what it meant.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I should research it before I actually get it done. I would come in with a Chinese character already prepared. I would not trust the tattoo artist.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember what I thought was really cool in the 60s, and also in the 70s, and oh yeah, in the 80s, ... You get the idea. Much of that stuff seems very very cheesy now. I mean come on! I remember when the movie Billy Jack was soooooooooo meaningful to me. And my favorite band was once Seals and Crofts. Do you understand? Do you think you are different? =)

<laughs> I wouldn't get a tattoo for that reason. I have mercy on my future self. However, I do think they are cute now, and I think many of them look great on other people. I still wouldn't do it, or recommend it. Get piercings instead. Tattoos are forever, and forever is too long. =)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
If you get a Chinese symbol, make sure you have someone you trust make sure it means what you think it means. I had a class in college with a Chinese instructor and one day she just sat there staring at someone's tattoo with this confused look on her face. Finally she asked for the story and the student was like, oh this means peace. The instructor just shook her head and was like, this is peace, see, it is close but not what you have. (I think the tattoo meant slow). The student sat there arguing that the tattoo artist said it meant peace and dang it that is what it meant.

I once went into a tattoo shop with a friend who speaks Mandarin Chinese. He was laughing his butt off at the errors in the supposedly "Chinese" characters they had up on their walls. Few of them were correct - most were off by just a bit, meaning-wise (such as "peace," and "slow," which I can kind of see relating to one another). The worst was that they had the characters for "tiger" and "rabbit" reversed, and that the characters for "all the people" actually said "people with diarrhea." I don't know WHERE they got that one. Obviously somebody tricked them. I hope nobody has "people with diarrhea" tattooed on their body.
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I mean come on! I remember when the movie Billy Jack was soooooooooo meaningful to me.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh, lordy. I LOVE Billy Jack, but not because it's sooooo meaningful, of course. [Wink] I love to laugh at it.

Have you made yourself watch The Trial of Billy Jack yet? It's three hours of total hilarity. I own all the Billy Jack movies. They are the crown jewels in my collection of bad movies and MST3K videos.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I got a very specific tattoo when I was about 20:
LINKY to pic

Let me just say that the above linked picture was taken shortly after the tattoo was done.

It is now 25 years later, and..um.. the image has stretched some, and the words are unreadable (except for the Daddy part). It is even hard to kinda tell what it is now.

But I don't regret getting it, because it was a specific tat for a specific reason at a specific time in my life, and meant a lot to me.

That said, get a reputable tattoo artist. Someone who really knows art (my tattooist had to do mine free-hand from a photo). Make sure they use all clean, sterilized equipment and have a good reputation. Make sure whatever it is will be something you will still want 25 years down the road.

FG

Wow. that's beautiful...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.