FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tattoos (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tattoos
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, why don't you get it freshened up?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Libbie, you laugh, but were you alive then? [Wink] Believe it or not, I was not alone. [ROFL] I guess I picked a good example. Do you see my point?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
What Tatiana said ! Both posts.

Several years ago I say an old gentleman with a tattoo on his upper bicep. He was about my father’s age. That is to say, WWII vet age. Anyway, his tattoo was of a young woman in a bikini. The only problem was: The woman part of the tattoo was obviously old and faded. But the bikini part was sharp and recent.

(I immediately thought of the movie “Operation Petticoat.” )

Anyway . . .

You can jump to your own conclusions here, just like I did. But my hypothesis is that this gentleman opted for the lesser or several evils and chose not to have a huge portion of his delicate flesh sanded or lasered off to get rid of a tattoo that was no longer quite as cool as he originally thought.

But I could be wrong. I never got a chance to chat with the guy.

And here is another thing. When a person goes to donate blood with the Arizona Blood Services, one of the things they are asked is if they have had a tattoo recently. You see, they really don’t want blood that has a higher risk of containing certain really nasty diseases like hepatitis and AIDS. And getting tattoos is one of the of the high risk activities.

So, how sure are you that those needles at the tattoo parlor are sterile? How sure are you that those gloves, ink, and other paraphernalia are sterile? What kind of health regulations and inspections are in place in the country in which you are contemplating getting the tattoo ?

Oh well, go ahead. Take a chance. [Evil]

But I’m not totally against tattoos. There is one group of guys who maybe are entitled to get a tattoo. And that is the U.S. Navy SEAL’s. Those guys are . . . . . . er, not going to get any argument from me.

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Also thinking about something with the fleur de lyse. Always thinking about it, rarely ever seriously.

I've been thinking about that too, but not seriously. Because I took one of my friends to get tattooed when I was in high school, and he'd already had a ton of tattoos, and there was blood everywhere and by the end he was squeezing my hand off with tears squeezing out of his eyes.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
where was he getting the tattoo?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and another thing, tattoos seem to be a huge fad now days. So take a gander at the following link.

http://despair.com/connot.html

I know, this seems like a cheap shot on my part. But that's only because it IS a cheap shot. But I just couldn't resist. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Libbie, you laugh, but were you alive then? [Wink] Believe it or not, I was not alone. [ROFL] I guess I picked a good example. Do you see my point?

Yes, I totally do see your point! You did pick a good example. [Wink] My friend's mom actually dated a guy who thought he was Billy Jack. He wore a beaded, fringed jacket and got way into American Indian stuff and even once took his boots off during a fight. I am not kidding.

Alas, I was not alive for the Billy Jack phenomenon. I was born in 1980.

However, I did see the 35th Anniversary Collection of the BJ movies at Suncoast today while Christmas shopping, and I thought of you.

Edit: And I was laughing WITH you, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
where was he getting the tattoo?

He got something tattooed on the inside of his forearm and also had a touch-up of one he already had around his wrist. I know those are typically really painful places anyway, but seeing it and the blood was just....*cringe*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farmgirl, why don't you get it freshened up?
How would I go about doing that? And how could they, exactly, make it "fresh"? I mean, it's kinda all blurred together now.......

Nowadays they have such wonderful bright colors, which wasn't much of an option back when I got this one.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Before you go to far, here are some suggestions not to get tattoo'd.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down" anywhere on your back.

Or, young ladies, on your front for that matter.

Pi, in numerals, to the 100,000th digit.

A fake wedding ring on your finger.

"Pull This" on your finger

More later.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My aunt always said she wanted to get an image of a squashed fairy on her behind. [Razz]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about a tattoo briefly in college. I haven't totally ruled it out but I'm pretty well past it now for several reasons: they're trendy (which I hate), I can't decide on anything meaningful or tasteful that I know I'd want on my body in ten years, and I can't decide where on my body I'd get it. Ideally, it would be a place that I could easily cover up if I wanted to, or not if I didn't. That doesn't leave much, except maybe the inside of my forearm. But I like to wear short-sleeved shirts, so that's out (since I wouldn't want the tat to be visible at work, for one thing).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I can recommend for anyone who's close to getting a tattoo but isn't sure about it -- get one of the temporary tattoos of a similar size and apply it to the place you want to get done. They'll last up to a week, and it'll give a chance to test drive the location and basic look, if not the actual design.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.