FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So like, cranberry sauce... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So like, cranberry sauce...
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some for today's festivities...but what do I do with it? It's just a can of jellied cranberry sauce and I have no idea how to serve it. Do I serve it cold? Do I serve it warm?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Chill it. Then slice it thinly and serve it in a bowl.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the way I've seen it served. Not very glamous, huh?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If you want glamorous, make the bowl crystal. [Wink]

There are other things one can do with canned cranberry sauce. But they all involve multiple ingredients.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Give it to me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a little late, but here's how to make cranberry sauce.

Adam Carolla's Cranberry Sauce:

"Step One: Get yourself a sack of cranberries. If you’re going to have eight or ten people over, get two sacks. Just buy them — they last for over two months.

Step Two: Take a cup of water per sack, and a cup of sugar as well. Adam prefers to go lighter in the sugar, though, because you can’t take sugar out. Start with a half-cup of sugar, and add more to taste.

Step Three: Boil the sugar and the water in a sauce pan, and once it comes to a boil, pour in the cranberries. Then put a lid on it, and let it simmer. That’s all you do. It’s as easy as cooking a can of soup."

You wanna be fancy? Grate in some lemon or orange rind to give it some extra tang.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Given that she already had the can, I'd agree that it's a bit late. [Wink]

However, I will be following a very similar recipe later.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha made the Cranberries this year so it has to be easy.

My favorite cranberry story:

About 10 years ago we were at my in-laws for Thanksgiving. Everybody was busy making something, so I decided to make the Cranberries. For the previous 4 years we always bought a can of cranberries, which was always forgotten about and never brought to the table.

That year I cooked real cranberries, and they were a hit. As we were filling our faces everyone kept asking me for the recipe. Finally I told everyone that I would be happy to give them the recipe in the exact way my mother passed it down to me.

The crowd got quiet. My sister-in-law told me to wait as she ran for a pen and paper. Everyone was on the edge of their seats as I passed out this family secret.

"First," I said, "Take a bag of cranberries."

"Yeah, yeah?" they responded eagerly.

"Then gently turn it over."

"Yeah, yeah!"

"Then, to quote my sweet mother, you read the directions, stupid."

You know there are far more moving stories about how people get thrown out of family gatherings.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hey, Dan! My mother's recipe is almost the same as your mother's!
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
We just take the can of cranberry sauce (chilled) and dump it in a bowl. No slicing necessary.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*haughty sniff*

Heathens.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with ya, rivka.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the cranbery sauce out of the can, without using any utensils! I was very proud of myself, as I usually mangle the thing with a spatula.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*applauds*

There is nothing quite like the splorp jellied cranberry sauce makes when escaping from the can.

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Eat it! [Razz]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
One year my former mother in law gave me a cranberry serving dish for a Christmas gift. It was a rectangular crystal plate with a silver plated serving flat "spoon" that was about as a can of cranberry sauce. I never EVER used it for anything, as when I did serve cranberry sauce (which was seldom) I made it fresh like Dan's mother and Rivka (and my mother too).

I must have moved that stupid dish and server half a dozen times before I finally tossed it though.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Cranberry sauce from the can is an abomination before the Tante. She turns up her patrician nose at such a lowly food. The Tante makes cranberry sauce from scratch and it is NOT sweet.

The Tante will now conclude referring to herself in the third person.

Thank you for your forbearance.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I brought the cranberry sauce this year. And the Martinelli's. I got the kind in a can, jellied and whole berry. Whole berry gets mushed into a bowl, with a spoon for serving. Jellied gets thinly sliced and fanned out on a plate, with a fork for serving. My sister used to make cranberry relish from scratch, but most of us didn't eat it, so she stopped...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I eat jellied cranberry sauce out of the can. It's better than jell-o.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

True story!

As for non-sweet cranberry sauce, THAT would be an abomination.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, have you tasted my wonderful cranberry sauce, a traditional family recipe handed down to me from my dear mother? No?

Then you know not of what you speak.

It is heaven.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma makes jell-o with cranberry sauce IN it.

It's my favorite Thanksgiving food, actually.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Esther, I have had other insufficiently sweetened cranberry sauces. *shudder*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Other, lesser sauces. Mine is nectar and ambrosia.

And I don't mean that nasty salad with the canned oranges and marshmallows, either.

That's it -- now you MUST come by for cranberries. Are you doing anything for Shabbos? I'm fixing a batch.

rivka
Member # 4859

This is like all those people who are convinced that even though I hate potato kugel, I'll change my mind once I taste theirs, right?

For Shabbos, I'm cooking a turkey. I also don't plan to walk outside t'chum Shabbos.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm also making a turkey, and stuffing, and yams, and butternut squash kugel, chocolate pecan pie, and CRANBERRIES!

I'm also not a big fan of the potato kugel. Well, maybe if you mix the batter and instead of baking it, pour it directly on top of the bubbling cholent, like a crust. That's OK.

I understand about you not making it by. It IS quite a long walk.

rivka
Member # 4859

We're having pumpkin kugel. Stuffing is a given, with turkey! (And my minhag is to actually cook the stuffing inside the bird, although I do sometimes make use of an unstuffer.)

Turnovers and the most marvelous sorbet are planned for dessert.

Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife makes cranberry bread instead of sauce. It's always a favorite.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Sharon does make the most marvelous sorbet. You know what would be perfect? Cranberry flavor.

Pumpkin kugel, huh? Sounds right. I think I'll emulate.

rivka
Member # 4859

Cranberry bread is yummy. But it doesn't work so well for pouring over pieces of turkey.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Sharon does make the most marvelous sorbet. You know what would be perfect? Cranberry flavor.
Oh, that would be good! mmm!

quote:
Pumpkin kugel, huh? Sounds right. I think I'll emulate.
[Big Grin] Libby's helping. [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the canned cranberry sauce. I usually have a container with it in the fridge so I can use it on chicken I eat during the week.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Cranberry relish was my job at thanksgiving from the time I was 3 until my grandmother died.

Take two bags of cranberries, two oranges cut into small slices, run it all through a meat grinder, add sugar, put in container for transporting. EASY! And delicious...

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Canned cranberry sauce even comes with built-in guidelines for the cutting. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never (voluntarily) had canned. Ew!

The last Christmas I was in Canada, though, I made a cranberry chutney that was loved and adored and inhaled by all. [Smile]

Unfortunately, I no longer have the recipe. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

What's up with the "pouring cranberry sauce over turkey instead of gravy" business?

Now, I don't mind if my food touches. So, if some cranberry happens to get on my turkey, I'm not complaining. But I'm not deliberately pouring berries all over my beautiful bird. No thank you.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
What's up with the "pouring cranberry sauce over turkey instead of gravy" business?

Instead? Whaddaya mean, instead?
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:

Instead? Whaddaya mean, instead?
You add cranberry sauce AND gravy...eeeewwwwww!
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat*

It's an acquired taste. I'm sure you'll grow into it.

Javert
Member # 3076

Not if I can help it, but thanks. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm anti-gravy. Everyone in my family is. We think that gravy is "something that other people eat."
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, your family is just WEIRD. No gravy, and unsweetened cranberry sauce?

Evilness.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hey. I take offense!

Our Thanksgiving feast is pure joy, delectable, wonderful, perfect, scrumptious.

AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!! [Taunt]

rivka
Member # 4859

They're not evil, Paul!

Just a bit confused.

After I finish the JM24 campaign, I'll have to work out a gravy-and-sauce campaign.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Monkeys]
rivka
Member # 4859

You can run, but you can't hide.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I don't need to hide. I'm an anti-gravite and I'm proud, baby!
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like cranberries OR gravy, so what does that make me? Come to think of it, I'm not a fan of the turkey either.

I'm the anti-thanksgiving-food freak or something, all I ate yesterday was some yummy broccili rice casserole, and of course, Pecan Pie (pumkin is also just plain awful).

My son, however, liked this cranberry salad my aunt made with what looked like mayonaise, but I'm hoping was whipped cream. She wasn't there, so I couldn't ask.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Ok, so the festivities went good, and people seemed to like the cranberry sauce (although at first they didn't really know what it was. Oh, we little mexicans.) I always wondered why we never had cranberry sauce at our Thanksgiving table so I had decided to bring a can. I actually had tried it on a turkey sandwich once and had found the taste quite appealing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.