FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So like, cranberry sauce... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So like, cranberry sauce...
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had cranberry sauce - it's never been served at a Thanksgiving I've attended. Someone please explain to me exactly how you're supposed to eat it?

Is it actually a sauce that's supposed to go ON something? Or is it something you're supposed to just cut up and eat? (The canned stuff in the bowl always looks so, SO monumentally gross!)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Cranberry sauce can be served a variety of ways. My favorite kind is a very saucy whole-berry, which I like to put on the turkey (or it's good with chicken too). Less liquid whole-berry sauces (or the jellied ones, which in theory can be homemade, but I don't know anyone who does that) can be eaten separately or with the bird.

As has been evidenced, people tend to have strong opinions on this. [Wink]

DDDaysh, why would whipped cream be preferable to mayo?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Cranberry sauce can be served a variety of ways. My favorite kind is a very saucy whole-berry, which I like to put on the turkey (or it's good with chicken too). Less liquid whole-berry sauces (or the jellied ones, which in theory can be homemade, but I don't know anyone who does that) can be eaten separately or with the bird.

As has been evidenced, people tend to have strong opinions on this. [Wink]

DDDaysh, why would whipped cream be preferable to mayo?

Ohhh, it's a sauce for the TURKEY? That makes a lot more sense. Thanks! ^_^
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm part of a Cuban/Colombian family. What's this "turkey" everyone keeps talking about? Is that American slang for the roasted pig or for the ditch we cook it in?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom made ham as well as turkey last night, because she and several others don't like turkey. [Roll Eyes]

(I LOVE turkey.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Y'know, I never gave my recipe for cranberries. As I mentioned, it's similar to the on-the-bag recipe. However, I substitute orange juice for half the water, decrease the sugar slightly, and add ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Sometimes we just have it like that, but many times (including today), I then pour it over sliced apples, top with a little bit of streusel, and bake.

(Works pretty well with the canned stuff, too.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
(Tante, I'm an anti-gravite, too.)
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Y'know, I never gave my recipe for cranberries. As I mentioned, it's similar to the on-the-bag recipe. However, I substitute orange juice for half the water, decrease the sugar slightly, and add ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Sometimes we just have it like that, but many times (including today), I then pour it over sliced apples, top with a little bit of streusel, and bake.

Oh, oh dear.

That sounds delicious.

Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't like cranberries OR gravy, so what does that make me? Come to think of it, I'm not a fan of the turkey either.

I'm the anti-thanksgiving-food freak or something

Ditto. But I eat it all anyway because it is Thanksgiving and that is what you do on Thanksgiving.

I am reminded of the My Hero Christmas special. It is George's first Christmas on Earth (he is a superhero from the planet Ultron), and his girlfriend Janet is explaining the traditions to him. As she puts the turkey in the oven, the conversation goes something like this:

George: Whoa, big chicken! Is it genetically modified or something?

Janet: No, this is a turkey. It tastes a little like chicken, except drier and not as much flavor.

G: So why are we eating it?

J: Because it is Christmas dinner and the biggest meal of the year. We have to have turkey. It wouldn't be special if we just had chicken again.

G: So for the biggest meal of the year, we have something that is not as good as what we have on every other day.

J: Yeah.

G: Well, can we have chicken tomorrow?

J: No. You see, the thing about turkey is that it is so big that we are going to be eating it for the next fortnight.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. My turkey was never dry and always had as much flavor as chicken, just different flavor. Is it Canadian turkeys or is it that I'm just that superior a cook? [Wink]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably just that superior of a cook. :-)
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Good answer. [Wink]

Now, where should I send that cheque? [Razz]

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
:-) I can't eat turkey, it actually does something very funky to my tongue where it feels like it's pulling all my tastebuds together... hard to explain, but kinda think of the idea of putting aftershave on your tongue... though not quite as painful as home alone.

And as for why whipped cream would be better than mayo... well.. for one thing I just think mayo is gross to begin with... for second, I actually HAVE tasted cranberry sauce before, and while the thought of eating them even with whipped cream is not appetizing, the thought of having them in mayonaise is stomach churning.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I make awesome turkey that is never, ever dry. quid and I will cook turkey for you, and you will love turkey. Unless it pulls all your tastebuds together-- yikes!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried this yesteday and throught it was easy and good. Cranberry purists thought it was a little too orangey, though.

Have a nice day.

[ November 25, 2006, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Mankind ]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yup! I volunteer to cook turkey. [Smile] But you'll have to come here and supply the turkey. Or fly me there and supply the turkey. [Big Grin]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
We eat cranberry sauce plain in little fruit bowls. The idea of combining the cranberry flavors and the turkey flavors sounds sort of questionable to me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:

Oh, oh dear.

That sounds delicious.

It was. [Big Grin] Actually I should say is -- there's a little bit left.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.