FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College jobs

Author Topic: College jobs
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently looking for a job that would compliment my school schedule. The program I'm in demands 150% of my time so a job with over 15 hours a week wouldn't be good.

For all of the other college students here, how many hours do you work and do you know of certain jobs that go well with a very FULL college schedule?

I only need about 200 a month because my expenses are split 5 ways [Wink] I'm just not sure if there are any employers that would be ok with 10-15 hours of work per week.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at Blockbuster Video freshman year. I got to work as little as ten hours a week ( I normally worked 15-20). It's an easy job that will put a little bit of spending cash in your pocket. Not super high paying, but that's not what you asked for.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you work on campus? I have flexible hours, 20 hours per week being the max, and the school actually pays pretty well.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't offered Work-Study, but now that you mention it, I think the food services didn't go through work-study. Hmmmm.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't have to be work study. A lot of times there are just on-campus jobs, like office assistants and stuff. Our office assistants are all students. [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

Holy gazebo Batman! I will data entry at 110WPM FTW! *zooommmmdoppler*
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to school I worked at the library.
It was the best job ever. I could read while i worked. The worse part was finals week.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked as a student hourly in the department of Counseling Psychology. The hours were flexible and complimentary to my schedule (no more than 15/week during the year) and everyone there was nice. If you can stand office work, I highly recommend a student hourly position in a department on campus.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for a little gig, I need someone to take a bunch of data from a website and put it into an excel sheet... I'm completely serious. I'll pay, um, $8-10 per hour, via paypal.

Campus jobs can be really great, either because they don't require much work (and don't care if you do your homework when no one is around), or because they can be excellent resume builders. I've been working as a math/econ/logic tutor for the past three years - when no one comes in to get help, I do my homework. When people do come in, it's basically review for my senior comps. It's also going under "teaching experience" in my C.V. for grad school. Stuff like that, along with doing research for a professor, or TAing, is really good if you're considering grad school.

I had a really great job in high school working at Subway - about 10 hours a week, my boss was great, and I had healthy meals three times a week.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done it, but if your school has lab technicians in the computer lab, that seems like an awesome job. At our school they just hang out on the computer until the printers need refilling, refill them, and go back to hanging out on the computer. If the printers get messed up, they don't have to fix them, so it doesn't require any technical knowledge.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
It doesn't have to be work study. A lot of times there are just on-campus jobs, like office assistants and stuff. Our office assistants are all students. [Smile]

-pH

Check with the financial aid office anyway. My school often didn't give out all of the work study jobs. If there were jobs left over, they handed them out on a first come first serve basis.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a local teen center as a shift leader. I work usually one or two shifts a week, running from 4 to 7 hours long, in the evenings. It's an extremely flexible schedule, I recommend you work recreation, tutoring, or some other city related job, because the job security is MUCH better than a commercial job, and you don't have to worry about a boss with a personal financial interest in whatever you are doing. The commitment is usually more genuine.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
I work for an organization called Mosaic. They set up group homes in the community for developmentally disabled adults. A lot of college students work for them because their part time positions are only like 12 hours a week, and the pay is better than almost anywhere else. THe only downside is that the training program is a month long and about 40 every week.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a steady job, though sometimes I feel like I'd like one... but I do tutor two kids in basic Hebrew, once a week. It's not much, but tutoring pays well, even if it's infrequent! I get $20 an hour for it. I just wish I had more students! [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
If you're looking for a little gig, I need someone to take a bunch of data from a website and put it into an excel sheet... I'm completely serious. I'll pay, um, $8-10 per hour, via paypal.

Campus jobs can be really great, either because they don't require much work (and don't care if you do your homework when no one is around), or because they can be excellent resume builders. I've been working as a math/econ/logic tutor for the past three years - when no one comes in to get help, I do my homework. When people do come in, it's basically review for my senior comps. It's also going under "teaching experience" in my C.V. for grad school. Stuff like that, along with doing research for a professor, or TAing, is really good if you're considering grad school.

I had a really great job in high school working at Subway - about 10 hours a week, my boss was great, and I had healthy meals three times a week.

What sort of data and what not? And how much Excel knowledge must one have? I already have a job, but if it's that flexible and I could do it in my free time at home, I'd be interested.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
For real Jhai -- My schedule's way intense for a real job, but I have hours in the day that I just end up spending on the internet (or very rarely homework). I could definetely help out with something like that.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Shhh! I called it first!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll email you guys, since I don't want to eat up Earendil18's thread.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

Curses! I slept in today! [Razz] EMail me too! gargle!
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can, work for a test prep company. It's good experience, and the pay is great. The Princeton Review pays $18/hr for SAT teaching, $23/hr for grad test teaching such as the MCAT or LSAT.

I worked for TPR in college (i.e. 2 years ago--now I'm in law school) after seeing an ad for MCAT physics teachers in the school paper--it was far and away the best job for me. Also, once you're on board, you can grade SAT essays in your spare time for cash at $1/essay, all online and from your home computer--you should be able to get up to about 20 essays/hour. I don't know as much about what the other test prep companies offer.

On top of all that, your friends will love you when it comes time to take grad school tests [Smile]

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
f you're looking for a little gig, I need someone to take a bunch of data from a website and put it into an excel sheet... I'm completely serious. I'll pay, um, $8-10 per hour, via paypal.
And how much would you pay someone to write a program which does this automatically?

Not that I would necessarily have the time to write such a program (I'd have to do some research), but with screen-scraping and a free Java Excel API (I'd have to look at whats out there), it certainly sounds like a reasonable undertaking.

Is this something which needs to be done for an extended period of time? Perhaps you could do some costing to see what it would cost to pay someone for whatever that time-period is, and how much it would cost to buy a program from someone.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Xav: quick scripts in Java? for shame [Wink] . This is definitely a task for the high level scripting language of choice, and the Excel format to write in is csv. I'd do it in python, though perl and ruby would also be good choices.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if you want to bid on this job, you are welcome to do so [Wink] .

I am a Java programmer, meaning that it is the only language I feel qualified to charge someone for me to program in [Smile] . I know I can do it in Java, and the only experience I have with Perl is what little I learned in my Programming Languages class in college.

I don't know Python or Ruby.

Its actually a project pretty far outside my area of expertise (J2EE web applications, Swing GUIs). I could certainly do it, but I don't doubt that someone else could do it faster [Smile] .

Not to mention that over next couple of months, I have two Sun certifications I am going for (SCWCD and SCBCD), so its not like I have the free time.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.