FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Annual Gift to Charity: First Book (Current Total: $1180) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Annual Gift to Charity: First Book (Current Total: $1180)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I suggest you simply enter your own address as the "Hatrack Address". The address is used to send a card to whomever you dedicated the donation to. It doesn't matter where that card gets sent.

[ December 04, 2006, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I put The Hatrack River Forum on every line except the state and zip code, and that worked.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Ok. Thanks for the tip, Katie.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
How much did we donate last year? Just curious.

We donated to the Heifer Project last year, didn't we?

I prefer First Book because of where we all met. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I just did a search for last years thread. It says we gave a total of $695. I have some vague memory that there was one donation after I stopped updating the thread but that number should be very close to correct if not dead on.

We are already up to $370 this year which doesn't include Bokonon's match. I'm waiting for word from him before I add that in. His match will bring the total to $670 so we should be able to easily surpass last years total.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you receive my forward, Rabbit? I got some kind of "server busy, will retry" back from my e-mail.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Not yet Sterling.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Sterling, I got your forward.

We have now exceed last years total and December has only just begun.

You guys are incredible!!

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's go for $1000! Even $5 is enough to give a book to a kid, so no donation is too small.

-Bok

EDIT: BTW, I was so psyched to see us hit $300 so quickly! Way to go everyone!

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if we could reach $1000 we'd make great history. [Smile] I'll be sending in my donation soon.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I donated, but I might not get a receipt, since I didn't notice till after I hit "submit" that I'd screwed up my email address. I tried to fix it, but I might be out of luck.

If I get one, I'll forward it immediately, but are there any suggestions what to do, if I don't?

(Geez, I'm really getting sucked into the Hatrack-Community-Christmas this year. Could this be the end of my comfortable illusion of lurkerdom?)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

You'll just have to donate again, and even more!

[Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
I donated, but I might not get a receipt, since I didn't notice till after I hit "submit" that I'd screwed up my email address. I tried to fix it, but I might be out of luck.

If I get one, I'll forward it immediately, but are there any suggestions what to do, if I don't?

EL, If you don't get the receipt, just send me an e-mail explaining. I'll trust you this time and add your contribution to the total.
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that number really went up in less than a day! That is so good! [Smile]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Alt, A big fraction of the jump was due to Bokonon's match for the first $300 donated. Still, even without his match we reached the $400 level in the first week.

Jatraqueroes Rock!!

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the confirmation, Rabbit.

And to those who contributed, and those who researched the causes. Sometimes the best holiday gift is a little restoration of faith in human nature.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've become a fan of kiva on my own, since I couldn't talk hatrackers into playing. You should just check it out, anyway. I read in USA Today that the world's income gap just keeps getting wider and wider. This is a fantastic way we can strike a blow toward narrowing it again. If we aren't one, we aren't his. Check out the ever-changing lineup of hardworking, hopeful business owners, and see if you can find $25 to help one of them out. I'm planning to add one per paycheck from now on. It just keeps on growing, too! They pay back the loans, and you can loan the same money again and again (or else withdraw the funds if you so choose.)

Paypal is donating their services to Kiva for free. It's getting a lot of press from places like the Wall Street Journal and Frontline. This is how we can use the internet to lift the third world out of poverty. This is such a cool concept! I'm very excited about it. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

So we've been stuck a few days here... I know some of us are getting Holiday bonuses, so share the bounty, even a little, with a noble cause! Let's try and get to the $1000 mark!

-Bok

Bokonon
Member # 480

So I got contacted by First Book today (some of you may have been emailed as well). They were confused about where to send 'in honor of' letters for the Hatrack River Forum, as well as curious as to who we are. I let her know the difficulties of defining a physical address for us [Smile] and explained a little about our drive (as well as providing a link).

She followed up with the following which may be useful in the future, should we choose First Book again:

quote:
What a fantastic initiative! Thank you for telling me more about it.

Hatrack sounds like an excellent candidate for a First Book Virtual
Bookdrive. You would get your own landing page and would then have
someplace to send your friends and family for a simple donation process.
It is obviously too close to the holidays to launch an effort like that
now, but I'd be glad to send you more info should you consider it in the
future.

Thanks to you and all your fellow Hatrack members for your generous
donations!

Best,
Stephanie

She was very grateful for our efforts. So everyone who gave, thank you! For those who haven't yet, why haven't you? [Wink]

-Bok

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Bok, That's so cool. I will definitely look into this for next year.
rivka
Member # 4859

That is very cool, Bok. Thanks for letting us know. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that there will be another jump this Friday or next Monday, when people get paid. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Hatrack rocks!

We are close to $1000! That is awesome!

-Bok

rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, very close! [Smile]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
So, who are we going to squeeze that last $100 out of?

Perhaps a change in the thread title might bring it some more attention? Something regarding abortion or religion is sure to get some clicks!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I manage to do this, but I always pass by the topics marked as important without noticing them.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm broke, but:

If it gets to $980, I'll chip in the last $20.

Sorry I can't do more than that, I can't really even afford that, but I want to help achieve our community goal.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, did you receive my email? (I think I forwarded the wrong one.)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be willing to put in another $30 if we can get it up to $950 and Lyrhawn or someone else throws in that other $20.

I know it's arbitrary, but I'd like to see it get to $1000. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't donated yet, and I intend to. . . I let my paypall account go inactive and I haven't gotten around to reactivating it yet. But I can do $50. I won't be home 'til late tonight, but I'll try to remember to do it then. Someone who knows my e-mail pester me if I haven't posted saying I donated by morning?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i had exactly 25 in my paypal, so now first book has it!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I forwarded my e-mail to you as well.

We have to be getting close now.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Done. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent an email to bonniet at eng dot utah dot edu ... Gotta be getting closer to quadruple digits.

Edit: Sorry for the lack of consideration re: email address format.

[ December 24, 2006, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Fusiachi ]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Please edit her email address to the way she wrote it in the first post. The way it is now is going to pick up a lot of spam for her.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm pretty sure we're over. But it is Christmas Eve, so we'll probably have to wait a bit for an update. [Smile]
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
so what was the final total?
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm sure we'll find out when Rabbit makes it back around here. She's probably busy with family stuff, neh?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Wow! We really smashed the $1000 mark.

[Party]

Sorry about the delay in updating the totals. I just got back from Maui today.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Awesome. [Smile]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy doodle impressive donation totals, Batman!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Awesome. [Smile]

How was the trip, Rabbit? Everything work out with the bikes?

Bokonon
Member # 480

Awesome everyone!

-Bok

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be taking this down soon, but was wondering if the total was final. Rabbit?
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

The current total is final Papa. I haven't received any new donations for a week so I think its safe to take this down until next year.

Once again, this has been an awesome experience. Hatrack is truly an amaising community.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.