FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Annual Gift to Charity: First Book (Current Total: $1180) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Annual Gift to Charity: First Book (Current Total: $1180)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Instructions for participation

1. You can donate to First Book "in honor of" The Hatrack River Forum". Then forward me an e-mail of the receipt and I will add your values to the total.

2. You can send the money to me through paypal (bonniet at eng dot utah dot edu) and I will make one big donation on Dec. 31.

If you want to donate but can't make either of the those options work. Contact me with a proposal.[/qb]
Donations of any size are welcome.

I know that there is already a thread on this subject but I'm starting a new one so that I can update the contributed amount.

I have already received $100 in contributions. The problem is, we haven't decided yet where to give the money this year so the first order of business is to select a charity. In the past, we have given to First Book and The Heifer Project. link

The first order of business is to select a charity.

So far the following have been nominated

First Book

Heifer Project

Kiva (micro loans for small businesses)

Child's Play

I will accept additional nomination until Wednesday and then we'll vote.

Once we've selected an organization to give to, people can either send money to me through paypal (bonniet at eng dot utah dot edu) or donate directly and dedicate the gift to the Hatrack forum. I'll post more details once we've select a charity for this year.

(Edited to put donation instructions at the top where they are easy to find)

[ December 28, 2006, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
yay!!!! I'm SO in!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty excited about this. I like the look of all of the charities, though First Book is something that appeals to me personally. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I say First Book, since I didn't give to them last time.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting for this. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with First Book.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote First Book. It just seems... appropriate.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote First Book [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiva, the microloans.

It looks like I'm outnumbered, but still - I love the idea of small loans to help people start businesses.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of Kiva, especially since if we do that we would get updates from the business and be able to see how our money is helping a specific person. My question is, what would we do when the loan is repaid? Reloan it to another busienss? Or donate the money to Kica to cover operating expenses?

The question is probably moot, regardlss. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I've heard some critics say that for every success via microloans, you get several more who default after taking out several, the latter to pay off the earlier loans. For what it's worth.

Not saying it isn't a worthy goal, or that it doesn't help many people, I'm just not sure I'm willing to support a project that may not have any immediate benefit to those using it.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for First Book.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had the chance to either feed a family or give them books, there is no question-I'd give them something to eat.

I vote Heifer.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Kiva!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for First Book.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

If we're interested in the news of how are contributions are helping, couldn't we sponsor a child (a group of children)? Personally I think there's something false and un-Christian (if that matters to you) about receiving photographs and letters of thanks from 'your child', but I suppose it's a way of showing that an individual contribution doesn't just get sucked up into an impersonal organisation like a molecule of water into a sponge.

That said, sponsoring a child is a monthly-payment process, and we're looking for a one off project...

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
If I had the chance to either feed a family or give them books, there is no question-I'd give them something to eat.

I vote Heifer.

I vote Heifer too, mainly because I was thinking something similar to what Val posted. Besides, I think that it will also have a deeper impact on society since it helps entire communites. If you want to read something, chances are that there can be a library you can go to. I understand that First Book is more appropriate for the site, but I'm trying to make sure my money goes to whatever can use it the most.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I said it last year, and please don't go off on the "but meat is so tasty, barbecue sauce" schtick, but I really don't like the fact that many of the options in the Heifer Project promote the exploitation and eventual killing of other sentient beings. And quite possibly their mistreatment and abuse along the way. There are other sources of protein, unless we are giving to Inuit tribes or something. Cheaper sources too, it takes a lot of energy to produce a pound of animal protein vs. plant. I also really don't Believe encouraging a dependence on animal protein is sustainable for developing countries, besides the animal welfare half of it. Or the rest of us, given population growth. And living in close proximity to livestock is a great way to get all kinds of fascinating diseases. The Heifer Project is a nice idea, bit . . . wigs me out.

Now, there are also some gifts you can give through the Project that are things like bees (I suppose someone may feel that bees suffer from being kept, but it's always looked fairly mutualistic to me) and you can give trees, and of course sheep and some other critters can be used for wool, or hens for eggs, and maybe get offed in their old age and end up on the dinner plate.

This article does a good job of outlining concerns regarding the Heifer Project, especially regarding the shipment of live animals: http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/heifer-opp.html

I'm not trying to be overly PC or push my agenda on others. Please take a peek at the article above; I just think humanity has a moral responsibility to care for those weaker than ourselves.

I vote First Book. Who could argue with giving a child a brand new shiny book? Unless it's like Mein Kampf or something (kidding, I kid . . .).

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Samarkand's post nonwithstanding, I vote Heifer.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote first book as more people do Heifer and i'm already doing that this sea
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any money to spare at this exact moment, but at some point this season I know I can give a little. And I vote First Book. [Smile]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote Heifer. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Heifer.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the Kiva thing.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book. I think it's appropriate given the nature of the forum.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book. Sure, libraries are out there, but kids from low income families aren't the types that can say "Hey Mom, let's go to the library!" and then hop in their minivan and go like my kids can. Most of the nice, shiny libraries are in wealthy suburbs anyway. And there's a big difference to me, in borrowing a book and having one you can call your own.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is why I like giving to them,Belle. My kids are so blessed- books ALL OVER the house, plus weekly library trips. Sometimes I tear up when I think of kids not owning their own books.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, FIrst Book is in the clear lead but I'll give people until tomorrow morning to place their votes before I make it final.

Current vote: First Book -- 15, Kiva -- 4, Heifer Project -- 5

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
First Book
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Final Vote Tally: First Book 16, Kiva 4, Heifer Project 5

So its a landslide victory for First Book this year.

There are two ways to participate:

1. You can donate to First Book "in honor of" The Hatrack River Forum". Then forward me an e-mail of the receipt and I will add your values to the total.

2. You can send the money to me through paypal (bonniet at eng dot utah dot edu) and I will make one big donation on Dec. 31.

If you want to donate but can't make either of the those options work. Contact me with a proposal.

Donations of any size are welcome. In past years we have individuals donate over $300 and under a dollar. Please give as much or as little as you feel comfortable giving. This isn't supposed to be about how much anyone person gives. Its about being part of something bigger as a community.

I know that people at hatrack come from all kinds of economic circumstances from starving student to well to do adult and welcome the "widow's mite" along with the larger donations. I honestly don't remember how much any individual has given in the past.

Bokonon
Member # 480

To add to the ante, I'm matching every donation dollar-for-dollar for the first $300. So even if you can only spare $5, that'll become $10!

It'd be really cool to see if we can break $1000 this year.

-Bok

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Woohoo Bokonon!!
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Donation made from Xavier and I. Receipt forwarded.

And that is so awesome, Bokonon. It's people like you that make me proud to be a part of this community.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, good show Bokonon.

[ December 02, 2006, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I just donated.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Donation Paypal-ed.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Thank you, Bok. I always wish I could give more so I really apprecciate the doubling.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Thanks guys [Smile] Every little bit always counts. I'm just glad there are so many generous people at Hatrack!

Hey Rabbit, I'm having issues emailing you, my last email is queued up, and was a response to your email. Basically, keep the amount raised to that which you have gotten confirmation of. When/if we reach $300, I'll send you my donation receipt.

-Bok

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
1. You can donate to First Book "in honor of" The Hatrack River Forum".

I am having a bit of trouble with this. It wants an address, email, phone number, etc -- for Hatrack, as well as for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I think Rabbit just means you donate personally, and forward the receipt e-mail.
rivka
Member # 4859

No, it has an option of donating in honor of someone.
Euripides
Member # 9315

Oops.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see one. I'll second Euripides' "oops".
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

When I typed in the "in honor of" portion, it didn't ask me for their address or email. It gave me an option of sending them an email but I didn't have to.
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. Maybe I'll try again.

See?

Euripides
Member # 9315

I see.
rivka
Member # 4859

Val, did it give you something else?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.