FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer illiterate People == grr.

Author Topic: Computer illiterate People == grr.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I'm at school, I forgot to write down my home ip address before I went to school because I wanna try out port forwarding.

I call home and ask my dad to get my ip address, so far its been a no go, because he's dispite all his grand standing is pretty computer illiterate he goes on about how I don't know enough about computers and yet he cannot do a simple task.

Start Menu > Accessories > Command Prompt

type in: ipconfig /all

Ok now tell me the Ip address.

=( Thats not it!!!

[Mad] thats not it either!

then he gives me my hamachi ip, nononono do not look under hamachi ethernet look under local area.

Apparently he can't find my ip address, ack!

Frustration levels rising...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just open my internet browser and go to http://whatismyip.com
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, well, if you have a router, the IP will likely be 192.168.xxx.xxx, which is the internal IP to your network. The only way to get the "real" IP is to access the router admin pages.

ipconfig isn't likely to provide you what you need for port forwarding... But Baron's suggestion ought to.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is much worse. Everytime I go to my dad's house, he hands me a piece of paper with websites he wants added to his "favorites". The sad thing is, he will have the entire address (www.whateverwebsite.com). I tried to tell him to just type that into the address bar. No good. He only wants to see it in his favorites. So I do it, then go set the time on his VCR. Yes, his VCR!
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have to go to my wife's grandmothers house twice a year to reset all her digital clocks. Daylights Savings Time was her enemy.

My mother calls me over to turn off the caps-lock and turn on the num-lock so she can type her recipes.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,
You owe your dad an apology on this one. It's what you didn't know that kept you from getting the information that you forgot and interrupted his day to have him get for you.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully this will teach him to not do any favors for you, and you'll both be happier.

[ December 04, 2006, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to give technical support to family members, primarily because beating them with a chair is frowned upon by other family members.

As for your situation... If I were in that situation, I'd probably have better luck explaining it to my dog than to my father.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
So! If us paternally inclined persons of a certan age are so darn useless, why do I get phone calls from 1000 miles away, in the middle of the night, when a car won't go?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hmm? Apologize for what? I didnt swear at him or get into a fight I simply feel frustrated that I couldnt get my home desktop ip, however the above advice for whatsmyip.com worked, it had slipped my mind. Dang royters.

Sad thing is after all this I still cant do port forwarding because i still need to set up an ssh server at home, I set it up for my laptop but not my desktop yet.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Blayne,
Really? You didn't visit any of the misplaced frustration you vented here on your Dad? If not, well, it's still polite to appologize to someone when you fruitlessly interrupt their day because you lack the necessary knowedge, but I wouldn't say that you "owe" him one.

[ December 04, 2006, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a hard time not laughing about you calling your dad computer illiterate just because you don't know what a 192 address means. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne -- are you supposed to be doing port forwarding from your school to your home?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
I'm having a hard time not laughing about you calling your dad computer illiterate just because you don't know what a 192 address means. [Smile]

Lawlz. Ditto. [Taunt]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I think you are a dear and all, but before you start accusing other people of illiteracy, maybe you need to clean house with your own spelling, capitalization, and all that.

Hey, I think that your style is endearing, but maybe you aren't living in the right kind of house to be throwing stones, huh?

And the code words for today: respect and tolerance.
[Group Hug]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

huh okay there's a misunderstanding here:

I know that the following: 192.168.1.1 == LAN IP

I know that 255.255.255.1 == subnet mask

I know that 5.x.x.x == Hamachi Ip I know exactly what each was, when I said thats not it either, I say it in full knolwedge of when you ask for a diet coke and get a root beer you say "thats not it".

Hey if you want I can come up with a list of things my dad has gotten wrong before and I got right but was never awcknoledged for.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that sounds like a productive and fun way to spend our time.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, what you're missing is that your dad DID find your machine's local IP address. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

By using the directions you gave him.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Blayne, I think you are a dear and all, but before you start accusing other people of illiteracy, maybe you need to clean house with your own spelling, capitalization, and all that.

Hah! I knew people paid attention to that. Not many people replied when I posted on this subject a couple of weeks ago. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I just followed the ipconfig /all directions, and got just what your dad got: the local ip and the subnet ip.

I can't believe, the nerve of your dad. You really should give him a wax tablet and bone stylus and let him play with something he's more comfortable with [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, my PowerBook has a convenient little widget that tells me everything I'd ever need to know about my network and system.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

thing is I generally do get my real external ip when I do ipconfig /all. router or no router.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thing is I generally do get my real external ip when I do ipconfig /all. router or no router.
The thing is, your Dad did what you told him to do, got the exact results he should have, reported those results to you correctly, and then you went to an internet forum to insult your dad to the whole world.

Then when you are told that it was not your dad at fault, you aren't the LEAST BIT sorry that you insulted your father to the whole world, and are continuingly trying to defend the action.

It is this sort of warped world view that makes me unable to take your word for it in any account of the injustices you face from your family and others when you report them to this forum expecting sympathy.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
The thing is, your Dad did what you told him to do, got the exact results he should have, reported those results to you correctly, and then you went to an internet forum to insult your dad to the whole world.

Then when you are told that it was not your dad at fault, you aren't the LEAST BIT sorry that you insulted your father to the whole world, and are continuingly trying to defend the action.

It is this sort of warped world view that makes me unable to take your word for it in any account of the injustices you face from your family and others when you report them to this forum expecting sympathy.

*insert applause smiley*
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
By using the directions you gave him.

NO!!! BLOCK IT OUT!!! NOTHING IS YOUR FAULT.... even the things that ARE your fault for forgetting them are really other people's faults for not automatically fixing them for you!!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I really need to start animating these threads.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

Hey, I think that your style is endearing, but maybe you aren't living in the right kind of house to be throwing stones, huh?

And the code words for today: respect and tolerance.
[Group Hug]

Tante always knows the nicest way to burst people's bubbles.

If I ever get cancer or a family member dies, I would want Tante to be the messenger.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay this just happened 5 minutes ago,

I head down sairs my dad goes to my bedroom door and opens it, and says he wants a copy of MS office 2003 I tell him he has 2 choices: download it or pay the 130$. I tell him to ask adrian.

Now before I can continue to explain why to do so he goes on a tirade about how I do not help him enough that I shouldnt talk to him like that.

I explain to him that if he listened for once and not interrupt me I could explain to him that the reaosn why I say to ask adrian is because I do not have any cd's to burn it on, I do not have the installer so he needs to download it on the computer in question.

He says "is that gesture rehorsed? Do you need a soap box you look ridiculas", I tell him if that if he wasnt so stubburn and finally accept that I can be right about something for a change he would have realized I gave him perfectly reasonable advice: A) My flash drive is full, B) I have no blank dvd's/cd's and C) files cant be transfered across our network because of adrians stubburness, so I cannot download it on my computer to install it on my moms computer.

He needs to go upstairs and ask adrian to download/inastall it because I do not know which bittorrent program adrian uses and he freaks out when I put anything (including better firewalls) on that computer, so he needs to ask adrian to downlaod it.

I swear I had to repeat myself 3 times before he walks off.

Euripides
Member # 9315

Welcome to puberty.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

I head down sairs my dad goes to my bedroom door and opens it, and says he wants a copy of MS office 2003 I tell him he has 2 choices: download it or pay the 130$. I tell him to ask adrian.

Now before I can continue to explain why to do so he goes on a tirade about how I do not help him enough that I shouldnt talk to him like that.

I explain to him that if he listened for once and not interrupt me I could explain to him that the reaosn why I say to ask adrian is because I do not have any cd's to burn it on, I do not have the installer so he needs to download it on the computer in question.

He says "is that gesture rehorsed? Do you need a soap box you look ridiculas", I tell him if that if he wasnt so stubburn and finally accept that I can be right about something for a change he would have realized I gave him perfectly reasonable advice: A) My flash drive is full, B) I have no blank dvd's/cd's and C) files cant be transfered across our network because of adrians stubburness, so I cannot download it on my computer to install it on my moms computer.

He needs to go upstairs and ask adrian to download/inastall it because I do not know which bittorrent program adrian uses and he freaks out when I put anything (including better firewalls) on that computer, so he needs to ask adrian to downlaod it.

If you had begun by explaining that you don't have any cd's and all that, I bet your father would not have gotten angry at you. An important part of communication is not only what you say but also how you say it. "Sorry, but I don't have any blank cd's, maybe you should ask Adrian" would have worked much better than whatever you said.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I feel like I should repeat:

quote:
Even when you are trying your best to sound like the hero in the story of your life, I pretty much always sympathize with your "oppressors".

But its not like I am going to snap you out of your perceptions, so I don't think there's anything more that I can say.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

you are not helping my warm fuzzy little freind.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, he's being more helpful than almost anyone else -- if only you were able to accept what he says.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
In literature this is known as an "unreliable narrator."
Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, why were you so rude? A simple "I can't do that" would have served nicely. And by the way, from now on I'm going to demand that you re-horse all your divisions in Vicky. Cavalry for the win!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Dude, why were you so rude? A simple "I can't do that" would have served nicely. And by the way, from now on I'm going to demand that you re-horse all your divisions in Vicky. Cavalry for the win!

He couldn't just say it that way, because the way he wanted to do it is guaranteed to evoke abuse from his father by frustrating him, which is what Blayne tends to do. I'll go so far as to say that Blayne sets up these little fights with his family, if not consciously, then certainly on an enthusiastic subconscious level. This whole argument about getting Dad to do something he can't do because Blayne "forgot," smacks of Blayne setting up the situation in order to get into it with his father... and shockingly that was what happened. Blayne! At your age if you are getting abused all the time by everybody around you, it is likely because you are evoking it, as your way of controlling your interactions.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my tonne was one of annoyed frustration because he keeps asking me again and again to get him a copy of MS office 2003 and I keep politely at first and slowly degrading over time that I do not have a copy and that it can only either be downloaded or bought in a store.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could have said, "Dad, I'm not going to illegally copy Microsoft Office for you. Don't set a bad example for me by stealing software."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just empty out your flash drive, copy the files, dump them on his computer, then put everything back on your flash drive?

Or why not ask if you could use one of his CD-Rs since you were out?

Why not learn how to properly configure your network so your machines can talk to one another? Setting up a PDC on an old PC wouldn't be a bad start. I'm running an OpenBSD server with Samba right now that does the trick on a really, really old box.

If you want to be Mr. l33t computer guy, you'd better start figuring this kind of thing out. At this point, you just sound like another mouth-breathing n00b to me.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even when you are trying your best to sound like the hero in the story of your life, I pretty much always sympathize with your "oppressors".
Ditto. And that should be a huge, huge, huge red flag.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay I do configure my network to share files but it only works once in a blue moon, I have figured out ways to get it to work but they always piss off my brother and I'm sick and tired of those arguements.

Next, my flash drive also happens to be my Ipod Shuffle with 512 MB space not enough room for Office.

Also my CD-R drive doesnt always work either I get a read/write error sometimes when I burn and my brother has stopped lending me CD's.

I had an FTP server but my paypal account ran out of money so its closed until I get paid, and even then it takes a really long time to upload download files.

Also, the politness factor in my family is pretty much noneexisent no one is polite to each other and all attempts at politeness haven't gone so well, usually ending with my getting interrupted midsentence.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I had an FTP server but my paypal account ran out of money so its closed until I get paid, and even then it takes a really long time to upload download files.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

Host it from your machine, on the LAN, and just ftp to your own machine. Not hard.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Next, my flash drive also happens to be my Ipod Shuffle with 512 MB space not enough room for Office.

Almost all versions of Office will fit into 512MB. Not that you should be sharing Office with people anyway.

Out of interest, did you get YOUR copy legally?

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if your family isn't polite to one another, you should be polite to them. This isn't in order to change them or anything, but just to make yourself a better person.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.openoffice.org/

Open Office is free.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Open Office is free.

I second the plug. Very good program!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell your father to use emacs. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

XEmacs is available for Windows.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i'll suggest it but the main issue is that there;s some corrupt file in express that if i'm not mistaken is making it impossible to for them to check their email, so I doublt open office would help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.