FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Planet-V

Author Topic: Planet-V
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I'm working on my final for web animation and here's what I have so far.

Planet-V

As you guys will probably be able to notice, the site is not complete yet, but it will be before next Tuesday (or there goes my grade).

Any tips? Any comments? Any questions?
It's my first flash website so there might be a few bugs here and there. For some reason the loading screen takes a bit to come up, but I assure you, Planet-V is loading!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I'm not the best judge of these things, but what is up right now seems to be all right. I would even go so far as to say thst it looks spiffy.
But if you're looking for any meaningful tips and such you'll probably have to wait for some of the less computer illiterate people to drop by. Good luck on making your deadline though.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the class requirements for this site are, so please ignore anything I say that isn't appropriate.

Given that it takes time to load, is there a way you can put up a loading indicator with a bar showing progress? That way, anyone who goes there would know what's happening...

As far as that goes, I've been to MANY flash sites that took much, much longer to load than yours. Your loading time wasn't bad at all and not that painful. Considering that our internet download speeds are currently sitting in the neighborhood of 100-180 kbps, I'd feel the pain much faster than anyone else who has ADSL or cable internet. [Smile]

I love the artwork and the color scheme. I also like the snowflakes falling - they look good. [Smile] It's nice, it's not irritating, and the text is clearly legible, although it looks a bit small to me - you might want a bigger font.

The snowflake cursor is a bit irritating to me, but I never like such things, so it's definitely a bias with me. If it's a requirement, leave it, of course.

Let us know when you have more content. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Member # 9930

- posted      Profile for Tyler   Email Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
very nice. i like the graphics, very fun but still quite professional.

this may just be my computer, or my connection, but my cursor moves rather slow, even for flash.

and for your information, it took no time to load here.

classy.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt- I haven't ad any time to work on your commission. If it can wait till next week, my classes will be over and I'll be able to help. Let me know!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just speed up the frame rate so the cursor doesn't move so slowly. I wish I had the outfit that my caricature is wearing, though. It's so cute!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Alt- I haven't ad any time to work on your commission. If it can wait till next week, my classes will be over and I'll be able to help. Let me know!

It's due next Tuesday morning. Don't worry though, if you can't get it in it's ok because I'll just use the song that I'm using right now.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quidscribis, on my computer there IS a loading bar before the page loads up.

I think the site is very pretty. my only complaint is the cursor too. it seems to move oddly. that, and i personally just don't like those kinds of animated cursors, but that's just me.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I loaded it again, and the loading bar shows up only after it's already more than half loaded. I'm using FireFox.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It does that to me too, even when I'm only simulating the download. I don't understand why it does that, I tried to fix it several times and yet it still happens. [Frown]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The cursor barely moves for me. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks neat! I'm looking forward to seeing the portfolio section, I haven't seen any of your work in... years? [Smile]

I'm curious, what sort of work do you want to do after college? I'm also an animation student (well, recent graduate, I guess!), and I've spent a lot of time lately researching career options... if you want to talk animation industry sometime, drop me a line! [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, like the style.

Even at 1024x768, the main text seems a little small and hard to read.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
Very pretty. I especially like the music. On other sites the music is just annoying, but yours really works [Smile]
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The cursor is something that obviously bothers people a lot so I'll remove it.
I'm so glad you guys liked the music!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the music. I find music on random sites to be very annoying. Just saying. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I also don't like the music. Your music is a fairly decent choice of music, but I don't like music playing on websites. Ever. Color me biased. [Smile] However, at least you provide an easy and fairly obvious way to turn it off.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'm glad the button is there to please both audiences. I tried to stay away from traditional Christmas music because they all sounded too cliche for my taste. The song is actually from the Sailor Moon Orgel Fantasia CD, so it's got nothing to do with Christmas but the instrumentation gives it an appropriate feeling in my opinion.

Edit: I'm actually very picky about music on websites, so I rarely use it. TokiDoki can pull it off really well, though. Their affiliates also pull it off real nicely.

anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
About the music - as a rule I don't like it on websites, but It seems to work well in this case. What I *do* like is when the desiger is considerate enough to put a big "music off" button.

It's a nice site. The font size is a wee bit small for me, but perfectly legible none the less. I look forward to mre content soon and good luck with the grade!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.