FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quick help with dates

Author Topic: Quick help with dates
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm studying for my exam on Thursday and part of it will be identifying key events that happened certain years. I've got all of them except for two which I can't find in my notes or by doing any wiki or google searches.

Does anyone know what event of significance happened these years in Islamic Civilization history?

Edit: 1079 is NOT the Persian algebra guy.

Thaaaanks muchly!

[ December 12, 2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: kojabu ]

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's what wikipedia gives you

quote:
* Persian astronomer, Omar Khayyám, computed the length of the year as 365.24219858156 days which has been the most accurate calculation of old times. Khayyam also, in Treatise on Demonstrations of Problems in Algebra, produced a complete classification of cubic equations and their geometric solutions.
1214 doesn't have anything down for Islamic countries, so you're out of luck there. Hopefully someone here will actually know something about the subject, although knowing what all happened on a given arbitrary year is tough.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I found that in wiki, but we didn't learn about him, so I don't think that's it.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
1079 COULD be:

"Persian astronomer, Omar Khayyám, computed the length of the year as 365.24219858156 days which has been the most accurate calculation of old times. Khayyam also, in Treatise on Demonstrations of Problems in Algebra, produced a complete classification of cubic equations and their geometric solutions."

and 1214 COULD be

Basically the fall of the Almohad Dynasty:
"In 1212 Muhammad III, "al-Nasir" (1199–1214), the successor of al-Mansur, after an initially successful advance north, was defeated by an alliance of the four Christian princes of Castile, Aragón, Navarre and Portugal, at the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in the Sierra Morena. The battle destroyed Almohad dominance. Nearly all of the Moorish dominions in Iberia were lost soon after, with the great Moorish cities of Córdoba and Seville falling to the Christians in 1236 and 1248 respectively. All that remained, thereafter, was the Moorish state of Granada, which after an internal Muslim revolt, survived as a tributary state of the Christian kingdoms on Iberia's southern periphery, until it too fell in 1492.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
I'm studying for my exam on Thursday and part of it will be identifying key events that happened certain years. I've got all of them except for two which I can't find in my notes or by doing any wiki or google searches.

Does anyone know what event of significance happened these years in Islamic Civilization history?

Edit: 1079 is NOT the Persian algebra guy.

Are those Christian dates or Muslim dates?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Christian dates
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
1214: Capture of Sinope? (Though it seems fairly minor (and I don't mean Asia Minor [Smile] ).)
quote:
There were also changes in the commercial relations between Byzantines and Muslims during the period in question. The Fourth Crusade reoriented the trade of the Byzantines (the Empire of Nicaea) with the Muslims. Relations with Egypt were interrupted. Very few embassies (I count two) are attested from the Empire of Nicaea to Egypt, and their object was either ceremonial or unknown to us.161 There are no indications anywhere of continuing trade relations with Egypt; the inward-looking policy of the Nicene emperors and the sumptuary laws passed by John III Vatatzes162 would suggest that the absence of information is not a matter of chance but reflects the reality of very limited relations. On the other hand, political contacts with the sultanate of Konya were frequent, and, although there is again very limited information about trade relations, one may assume that they existed; their extent is impossible to recover. In the late twelfth century, there had been an active trade between the sultanate of Rum and Constantinople, through the Black Sea.163 But we have little information regarding Black Sea commerce between 1204 and 1261. We find here Venetians and Turks, with the Empire of Trebizond fighting to retain some control. Trade with Constantinople would have bypassed the Nicene Empire. The sultans of Rum had developed a very significant trade network including central Anatolia and the ports of the southern coasts and the Black Sea coast, cemented by the capture of Sinope (1214) and Attaleia (1207) and the establishment of a Seljukid protectorate in Sudak in 1225. How much this commercial flourishing involved the Empire of Nicaea is not certain; it has been suggested that commercial relations between Nicaea and Konya increased after the Mongol invasion of Asia Minor in 1243.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was hoping this was about dates the fruit. [Wink] We got some fresh ones from Dubai that are so incredibly good - melt in your mouth, literally. Yum!

But to your actual question, I even asked Fahim, and he didn't have a clue.

From here:

quote:
Seljuks

This dynasty of Sultans was Sunni of Turkish origin. They ruled Persia and Mesopotamia from the 11th century AD to the 12th century AD. The first Seljuk Sultan was Tughrul Beg (1038-1064). In 1055, the Seljuks took over Baghdad. In 1071, the Seljuks defeated the Byzantines at the battle of Manzikert, then went on to Anatolia. The Seljuks captured Damascus in 1078 and Jerusalem in 1079.

Could that be what you're looking for?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And from here:

quote:
The important Black Sea port city of Sinop was permanently secured in 1214, which allowed the Seljuks to develop maritime trade with China, India and Persia as well as the Crimean region and the West. Antalya, which had fallen into the hands of the Crusaders, was retaken by the Sultan.
quote:
Melik Şah was the son and successor of Alp Arslan in 1072, and was one of the most powerful and brilliant rulers of the Seljuks. He seized Transoxiania and Kirman in 1079.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yes! I think it's that the Seljuks seized Jerusalem in 1079! Not sure about 1214, but it seems like something that's right. Thanks quid! My prof just kept giving us dates and I couldn't keep up.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Smile] Cool. Google proves its usefulness one more time. [Big Grin]
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks, quid! Your Sinop quote was much more pithy than MINE!

[Cool] [Razz]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh. Ooops. :blush: It was all couched in long words and everything, so admittedly, I didn't actually, uh, absorb everything that was there. Heh. [Smile]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
And here I was hoping this was about dates the fruit. [Wink] We got some fresh ones from Dubai that are so incredibly good - melt in your mouth, literally. Yum!

And here I thought this was a social advice thread! I'm glad the question was answered before I got here, because this is all I have to offer to the discussion.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*grin

Nice info network here.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

and 1214 COULD be

Basically the fall of the Almohad Dynasty:
"In 1212 Muhammad III, "al-Nasir" (1199–1214), the successor of al-Mansur, after an initially successful advance north, was defeated by an alliance of the four Christian princes of Castile, Aragón, Navarre and Portugal, at the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in the Sierra Morena. The battle destroyed Almohad dominance. Nearly all of the Moorish dominions in Iberia were lost soon after, with the great Moorish cities of Córdoba and Seville falling to the Christians in 1236 and 1248 respectively. All that remained, thereafter, was the Moorish state of Granada, which after an internal Muslim revolt, survived as a tributary state of the Christian kingdoms on Iberia's southern periphery, until it too fell in 1492.

Compliments of the reconquista. They had it coming.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I never get any dates.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would kill for some dates right now. And the produce market where we get the good stuff cheap is too far to walk to tomorrow. [Grumble]

But at least KPC will get home before 4 from his new job so if I still need them, we can go get them. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Smile] I have a box on top of the fridge. Of the fresh ones that are really really soft and the ones I love the most. And we have bags of the stuff that's a bit drier than that, but still also very nice. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, living in a date-growing state, we can get some really nice very fresh ones. We do get the drier luxury ones grown in Iran, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be more on the lines of your love life. [Smile]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ours are from Iran. That makes them even more special. [Razz]
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
I thought this was going to be more on the lines of your love life. [Smile]

Nope, my love life is just fine and dandy. My studying life on the other hand...
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought this thread was about those disgusting fruits.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if you got the information you needed, but since it looks like your test is today, good luck!

(I'm also curious if people were right...)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.