FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On Prayer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: On Prayer
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
You're prolly right, Squicky.. I acused you to being numb to KoM, but maybe, since he's a fellow atheist, I'm a little (a lotta) over sensitive.

Sorry KoM.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, even mildly. I don't pray, or, as stated, believe in God. There are lonely religious folk and perfectly content non-prayers. One line broad generalizations are almost always defective when stictly parsed.

And my comment was directed at the society at large not specifically Hatrack. It is an impression I get walking around the real world, not so much from the brief textual glimpses from a BB.

Truth be told though, I AM jealous of the sense of a loving community that the religious enjoy. Outside of some familial relations there are very few correllaries in the secular world. And nothing at all that compares to a deep personal relationship with a living God. Even if I am convinced that the relationship is imagined, I would be a fool not to recognize the power of such a relationship.

We secularists are missing something. I suspect that it is a meta-narrative: A broad understanding of human place and meaning within a purposeful universe.

While the religious give each other hugs and understanding, we non-believers fall on each others' slipped wordings with slashing logic scalpels.

KoM may agree or disagree, I might be interested in his take on the matter. But dismissing people out of hand, using ridicule as an argumentative tool, only reinforces my point. It is not intended to be persuasive, it is intended to ostracize.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And my comment was directed at the society at large not specifically Hatrack. It is an impression I get walking around the real world, not so much from the brief textual glimpses from a BB.

You know there is more to hatrack then BB, but not much [Wink]

</deliberate Gaston arrogance>

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I have been on Hatrack since the AOL days, I am still not a 'real' person in the Hatrackian sense so the text is all I have. [Cry]
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.