FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The problem with our strategy in Iraq (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The problem with our strategy in Iraq
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too likely. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

The only thing standing in the way is social differences. Quite frankly, I support a unified North America. Rename it the United States of North America. It'll appease Americans, who don't like change, and really, it fits.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would become a unified North America under Mexico. Why?

George Bush - Beardless

Stephen Harper - Beardless

Vicente Fox - Geraldo mustache of authority

In all seriousness (shame on you for making me go serious when I was having so much fun) major changes like that don't happen unless something isn't working. If North America were brought together under a single weak federal government, we would see the same problem the US had under the Articles of Confederation. In a democracy, a weak federal government causes more problems than it solves when it is bringing together several strongly independent entities.

The other option, a strong federal government, would only be implemented if the US was a driving power behind the acquisitions, and it would be nearly impossible to get the citizens of the United States to accept acquiring Canada and Mexico without openly declaring a desire for Empire, and that would be a major demographic change that would require some pretty heavy prerequisites, ones that we haven’t met yet and aren’t likely to meet anytime soon.

Who's to say our next pres won't have a beard?

I didn't mean an Articles of Confederation type government, I was actually referring to early American constitutional government. For the first fifty years of American government, the presidency especially was VERY weak. State governments were still viewed as power players. It took until after the Civil War for the Federal Government to assert primacy.

I was thinking something like that. A written powerful federal government, or a phased in powerful federal government, but one that wouldn't assert any real heft with the member states until a few decades after real integration has taken place.

If we were to join together, it wouldn't be Empire for several reasons, but the biggest and best is the only one I need: We're still a democracy. Joining the US can only be done if a local referendum chooses to, and if the Congress approves, the former being the reason Puerto Rico isn't the 51st state.

I think it's a possibility in the future, but not until after I'm dead most likely.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.