FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello, I'm new here. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hello, I'm new here.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
How about ProBo?

ProBo? No. That'd be like giving him something for free.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okie dokie Rai-Rai.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
That has a ring to it.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings PB.

Oh and pH your name might be abbreviated to 7. But rivka would probably have to approve of it [Wink]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Are you claiming pH is neutral? Only on some topics. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Chemistry joke. Ugh.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Be nice. Or I'll post more chem jokes. [Razz]
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
She's just crazy enough to do it, too.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Evil]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka wouldn't dare debase these forums with acidnin comments.

Oh man I am going to have to slap myself this time.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*acidic glare*

Are you claiming that I have base motives?

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka's very reactive. She just might do it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Already, it starts to compound...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So three terminal carbonyls walk into a sports bar wearing three piece suits. "Hey," the bartender says, "this is a casual place--no need to be so formyl".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Rivka's very reactive.

I don't think that's true. My reactions are almost always buffered.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an azide, if I'd known that this was going to turn into a pun thread I wouldn't have taken the time to make up my (admittedly lame) joke up there.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I thought it was rather clever, actually.

The problem with most of the best chemistry jokes I know is that they are graphical. Alas!

Fortunately, many of them are here.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So, P-Bound, welcome to the 'rack. [Wave] Enjoy. I'm the nice one.

Where you from? What are you studying in school? Have you seen "Princess Bride"? I think it's required viewing here.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Princess Bride, and it's led to 3 years of skulking, being regarded as skum, and general lameness. Just letting you know.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, PB. COnsider yourself lucky- I have yet to revieve a nickname. As long as no one starts calling me Sn though, I should be fine.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Snros?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

I'm the nice one.

It's true.

quote:
Have you seen "Princess Bride"? I think it's required viewing here.
[Angst] *worries about getting kicked out*
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*kicks*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen "Princess Bride"? I think it's required viewing here.

Nonesense, you just say that becouse nobody has (been a member here without watching "The Princess Bride.") [Smile]

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello PrometheusBound! [Wave]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
:bump:

So, not that I am accusing anybody of any shinanigans... but is PB the same person as a certain recently retired poster?

Seeing as PB posted that he likes religion and politics but learned to avoid those topics, then posted in almost exclusively political topics with a familiarity to hatrack that seems a little peculiar... Discuss.

Listen I could be wrong. I don't think I'm wrong. I could be wrong.

Edit: also doesn't the phrase "Promethius Bound" sound like the TITLE of a thread started by another poster... HEH?

Incidentally I feel stupid even having bothered to check but here is the thread Prometheus Bound

In case it gets deleted, the thread title is "Prometheus Bound? Notes on the Anti-Humanism of the United States Congress" By the one and only Pelegius.

Again, sorry for muckraking.

Oh and if we all already knew and were playing the game where we don't say anything and roll our eyes and go along with it then I am sorry for messing that up as well.

[ January 15, 2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

I don't know what your trying to do. I do know what your trying to imply, I just don't get the logical jump your making.

Some other poster started a topic with a title that included my name. There are over 271,000 google hits for "Prometheus Bound," the overwhelming majority of which have nothing to do with me. There are even 1,050 hits for "PrometheusBound" only a few of which link to Hatrack. It's a very popular user name and I should have picked something better.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I think we were playing the game where we avoid this. No offence to either of you.
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

That's really quite the leap, Euripides. If everyone who had a name drawn from classical literature, you would be me.
Euripides
Member # 9315

Hey now, all I was saying was that we prefer to avoid interrogations here; our personal suspicions (or lack thereof) aside.
Zophar
Member # 10063

- posted      Profile for Zophar   Email Zophar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi PB. I'm new too. (Did much worse than you on my first post...my excuse is I a teperature of 101 at the time).
welcome. I can't believe you got TomDavidson to say "*giggle*"
but what do I know, I'm new. Maybe that's more normal for him than I think it is. [Razz]

I like the user name, too.
Zoph

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Pel still reads over here. He's kept his word not to post, but if you're still reading ... Hi Pel!

Hi PrometheusBound too! The link Euripides has quite a bit of history to it, both here and on that other forum. The community here (and there) is very tight knit and this Pelegius had a tendency to make waves. The kind which made people nauseous, not the kind which were fun to surf on. You may or may not have been around when he took his departure, but since then there has been a rash of people accusing other people of being alts for him (both here and over at the other forum). Maybe some of the accusations have had some truth in them, but my guess is that the majority are not worth their weight in crap. And we're talking about digital accusations here, so they don't weight very much.

All that to say, don't take it personally. To me, you're writing seems nothing like Pelegius's, but even if you are Pelegius (which, to be clear, I don't think you are), it doesn't matter as long as you plan on contributing intelligently and politely. Just think, if you stick around (which I sure hope you do), maybe one day you can accuse someone of being an alt!

(Just between you and me, I think Orincoro is an alt for Euripides. And believe it or not, its my opinion that Euripides is an alt for Blayne Bradley, who in actuality is KoM, who in turn, if you analyze enough, turns out to be TomDavidson. And now here's where it gets really weird ... You may want to sit down. After many ears of research, I have reached the conclusion that TomDavidson is actually .... Pelegius! Shocking, I know, but then, I never would've thought that I was Tante Shvester either. Oops ... did I say that out loud?)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have bumped this thread, but since someone did -- nobody got my joke at the top of this page and it made me sad.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Would it make you more or less sad to know that I got it, and resisted posting an [Roll Eyes] ?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Less sad. Thank you. Whether you did or not. *smile*
Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
How about ProBo?

ProBo? No. That'd be like giving him something for free.
ProBoNoNo!

I just got here myself, was reading down this thread to see if anything in it might relate to me...

Sibyl

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it. If I remember correctly I think I smiled.

A little.

Edit: I was 90% sure before, but this:
quote:
Some other poster started a topic with a title that included my name. There are over 271,000 google hits for "Prometheus Bound," the overwhelming majority of which have nothing to do with me. There are even 1,050 hits for "PrometheusBound" only a few of which link to Hatrack. It's a very popular user name and I should have picked something better.
is a dead giveaway.

I figure, though, ProBo is much more personable, less stuffy, and much less pedantic than Pel. I'm happy to pretend that there's no connection and judge ProBo by his posts alone. I think that's the fair thing to do.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I say who cares if it is?! It's a new name, new person... Let PrometheusBound make their own legacy without preconceived notions about who they might or might not be.

That's how I see it, anyway...

edit: what jt said - it's the fair thing to do... : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
Less sad. Thank you. Whether you did or not. *smile*

I distinctly remember deciding the [Roll Eyes] would be excessively snarky and deciding against it.

Next time I'll snark away. [Wink]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:

(Just between you and me, I think Orincoro is an alt for Euripides. And believe it or not, its my opinion that Euripides is an alt for Blayne Bradley, who in actuality is KoM, who in turn, if you analyze enough, turns out to be TomDavidson. And now here's where it gets really weird ... You may want to sit down. After many ears of research, I have reached the conclusion that TomDavidson is actually .... Pelegius! Shocking, I know, but then, I never would've thought that I was Tante Shvester either. Oops ... did I say that out loud?)

Im teh alt fer Blyreane?? ROFLEELS! I habnt thawt of tat.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

- posted      Profile for Kacie_lala33   Email Kacie_lala33         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello PB, welcome.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.