FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Having the bloodiest time finishing my writing projects....

Author Topic: Having the bloodiest time finishing my writing projects....
NeRve
Member # 8486

- posted      Profile for NeRve   Email NeRve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the worst writing habits in the world. I come up with an incredible idea with a good plot, but once I get into the middle of the story I can't figure out how to end it... I already had tons of short stories gone completely unfinished because I can't figure out how to finish it. One of my projects I had planned to submit to Asimov Magazine in my freshman year of college is still currently on hiatus... Any way to break this damnable cycle?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Butt on chair.

Cut the freaking internet off. Sit down on the chair. Work harder. Keep writing. Set a numberic goal for each day. Do not miss the goal. If you do, evaluate. Was it a one-day backslide? Was the goal too high?

Then get your butt back on the chair and get back to work.

Work harder.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
One writer I've read suggested to write even if you think that what you're writing is awful, even if you're essentially going "no, no, no" all the way through it. You can always go back and edit.

To someone like me, who hates revisions (especially the house-of-cards kind where you realize, having changed one thing, you're going to have to go back and change a whole lot of things) this can be painful. But even dross tends to have something worth saving, if only the kernel of a salvagable idea.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
No exceptions other than sitting down and writing.

If you have one exception, it soon becomes the norm.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you ought to figure out how the story ends before you start writing it all down. You know, if you know where you're going, you might have an easier time finding your way there.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my favorite writers start with the end. They figure out the last decision the character is going to make, then spend the entire book setting up that decision.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice Tante and Irami, but what if you are writing The Neverending Story? [Confused]

I had the same problem, NeRve, until recently, when I did the "butt in chair" thing.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tante's write. If you don't know how the story ends, I think you're too early for the Butt In Chair strategy. I go walking, and use the Thousand Ideas in an Hour technique from OSC's Characters & Viewpoint.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.