FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what are your favorite firefox extensions?

Author Topic: what are your favorite firefox extensions?
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites:

Googlepedia
Displays the relevant Wikipedia article for your search term on the right side of the screen. This is awesome because most of the time I end up going to wikipedia anyway when I search for something. I also like how when you click on a link in the wikipedia article, it also does a search on that word or phrase as well. The only drawback with this is(and most people won't call this a drawback) that it doesn't display any google adwords ads. Which most of the time I don't care about, but sometimes they're actually useful.

Answers
Alt-Click any word to bring up the Answers.com definition of that word in a small bubble. Close it or just click back on the page and it disappears. I look up the definitions of lots words, so this is super convenient and time saving.

There's one that's not actually an extension, it's a feature in the Options Menu, under the advanced tab. "Search for text when you start typing". Which does exactly that. It opens up one of those find text on this page bars at the bottom of the browser when you start typing anything. It of course does not do this when the cursor is located in any sort of text box.

What are yours? I've never really been searching for add-ons, so I'm sure there's plenty cool stuff out there that I don't know about.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
UBB Ignore
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
The two I mainly use are:
Adblock Plus
Bugmenot

I also use foxytunes (controls music players from inside the browser), Restart firefox, and fireFTP

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Download Statusbar
Downloads appear in a status bar at the bottom of the window instead of opening a new window over the stuff you're looking at.

NoScript
Enables scripting for specific domains. Or, rather, blocks scripting on all domains except for those that you approve, thus removing annoyances such as in-line text ads (where words in articles are automatically turned into ad links) that Adblock can't touch.

Tab Mix Plus
Enables you to choose any option you could possibly want for displaying pages in tabs. Includes session management features that are far superior to those built-in to Firefox 2.0, as well as menu customizations and a free kitchen sink.

IE Tab
Displays web pages in Firefox using Internet Explorer's rendering engine (Windows only). You're still viewing the page in Firefox, but the page behaves as if you had opened it in Internet Explorer. Be warned, though: This actually uses Internet Explorer to view pages, meaning ActiveX controls work, and none of your other add-ons that modify the page's appearance (including Adblock and NoScript) are active while IE Tab is in use.

All-in-One Gestures
Navigate pages using small and quick mouse movements. This saves you from having to move the mouse pointer all the way to the back button. Also useful for closing tabs really fast without having to hit the small close button or use the keyboard.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Firebug
Anyone who does any kind of web design/develop must have this.

Flashblock
Blocks all flash. In place of the flash object, the flash logo is displayed. Clicking on it will allow the flash object to load.

Fasterfox
Performance tweaks.

Flashgot
Great download manager.

Del.icio.us
I don't think I would be using my del.icio.us account with any regularity if it wasn't for this extension.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
SpellBound
In-page spell check utility. It underlines misspelled words and gives you a replace function like a standard word program, all within the web page.

Makes my forum posts much more likely to be spelling error free.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Add Bookmark Here
This is a simple extension which makes it easy to add bookmark to a bookmark folder.

Paste Quote
This lets you paste what's in your clipboard, but with [ quote] [ /quote] brackets around it.

[ January 02, 2007, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
These extensions are SO cool!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Web Developer Extension

Now that's essential as a web developer!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
That one is pure gold, Troubadour!
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Spellbound doesn't work with the newer versions of Firefox. [Frown]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, Firefox 2 has spellcheck built in. As I type this, it's underlining "spellcheck" in a small dotted red line. [Smile]
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...I use it, and mine doesn't. [Smile] Not automatically, like that, anyway.

Well, it highlights them, but doesn't offer automatic suggestions. I like it that way. [Smile]

[ January 02, 2007, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Well, it highlights them, but doesn't offer automatic suggestions. I like it that way. [Smile]

Right click on the underlined word to get suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by Bekenn:

NoScript
Enables scripting for specific domains. Or, rather, blocks scripting on all domains except for those that you approve, thus removing annoyances such as in-line text ads (where words in articles are automatically turned into ad links) that Adblock can't touch.

Can it function as a blacklist instead. It sounds useful, but I'd probably prefer everything enabled by default.

Also, an interesting and related article just showed up on Digg.

10 Useful Firefox Extensions That Don’t Get Glamorised

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Can it function as a blacklist instead. It sounds useful, but I'd probably prefer everything enabled by default.

If so, I'm not aware of how to enable that. There's an option labeled "Allow scripts Globally," but that just turns off filtering altogether and is intended to be used only for small periods of time.

That said, I would also have expected a blacklist to be more worthwhile, but the whitelisting approach has turned out to be far more useful thanks to the incredibly simple NoScript button located in the status bar. When clicked, it displays a list of domains hosting scripts on the page you're currently viewing; simply click on a domain to add or remove it from the whitelist. The page then reloads with your changes. It's very simple, and within a couple of days, you'll hardly need to change anything.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bekenn:
All-in-One Gestures
Navigate pages using small and quick mouse movements.

quote:
This saves you from having to move the mouse pointer all the way to the back button.
Backspace or CTRL + ←

quote:
Also useful for closing tabs really fast without having to hit the small close button or use the keyboard.
CTRL + F4
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an extension that when I opened a new tab it opened it on the same site that I opened the tab from. I don't know how to do that anymore (since I got the new computer).

How do I do it?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:

Also, an interesting and related article just showed up on Digg.

10 Useful Firefox Extensions That Don’t Get Glamorised

Ah, #1 of the 10 is what I would have posted, Colorful Tabs. VideoDownloader is also handy.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Iris lets you see the linky without opening the window. And it is faster than opening a window (or tab). Just mouse over the linky. Sweet!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Omitting the stuff that (I think) other people already have posted

Adblock
Adblock Filterset.G Updater - automatically updates (a big) filter set for Adblock
Canadian English Dictionary - You need at least one dictionary for Firefox 2's spell-checking to work
Flashblock - Play Flash animations only when you want them (more useful when I did not have Adblock)
Google Browser Sync - Synchronise bookmarks across many different computers
Tab Catalog - Emulates IE's cool tab preview feature

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
hey! this thread is pretty cool. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.