FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Amazon.com Launches Private Spacecraft

Author Topic: Amazon.com Launches Private Spacecraft
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an article and a short video of Amazon.com launching a private test spacecraft 300 ft into the air. It also talks about other companies researching private space ventures. [Cool]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as I don't see 50cent-piece sized logo orbiting over my house this'll be cool.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank GOD someone is doing something to get commercial spaceflight a reality. If I was a billionaire, that's what I'd be spending my money on.

I live near an airport, a smaller commercial one. Last summer, for some reason we had blimps hanging around the airport for a couple weeks. One night I was outside after dark and here comes this big "Sanyo" sign floating through the air overhead. Of course it was a blimp flying at night, but it reminded me of Blade Runner with the floating billboards. I've heard rumors of people putting satelites in orbit with giant bill boards, or people trying to bounce images off the moon of advertising. That is something we DON'T need from commercial spaceflight. Although the "Sanyo" sign was kinda cool floating in midair.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to stop them from doing it is to not buy the products of the people who do it.

Once they realize it does the opposite of what they want, they'll stop doing it. Otherwise, they'll continue doing what works.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Or it could be made illegal.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
It will take 4-6 business days to get to the Moon.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they mean to move their massive stores of books to the moon?
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of useful test can you do at 300 feet?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Well...you've tested that it can survive take-off and landing.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Well...you've tested that it can survive take-off and landing.
Take off, yes, and somewhat of a landing. But landing after coming from space is an entirely different matter. How are they going to slow that thing down, or are they just going to use a giant parachute and land it in the ocean?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. Accelerations in both cases are likely to be enormously different. They've demonstrated that it can survive a thrust sufficient to lift it 300 feet into the air -- and the fall back to Earth from that height. But that's not (if you'll forgive the pun) exactly rocket science. I'd imagine any college campus in this country could accelerate a car-sized object 300 feet into the air and get it to land without smooshing it too badly.

This isn't even really a proof of concept.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
True...but at least they know they've made it strong enough to go 300 feet into the air. [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of an inflatable space hotel.

Three words you didn't expect to see next to each other.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
Here is an article and a short video of Amazon.com launching a private test spacecraft 300 ft into the air. It also talks about other companies researching private space ventures. [Cool]

Amazon.com didn't launch it. The same guy who started Amazon.com started a space company. That's not the same thing.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.