FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Making History: But Don't Tell OSC (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Making History: But Don't Tell OSC
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Michiel, not to hound you, but are you interested in getting involved in this community in more ways than just touting this game?

Just checking.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the author of the New Yorker article has played Sudden Strike or Red Orchestra.

Sudden Strike is the most realistic WWII RTS I've played, and RO addresses the deficiencies he sees in Medal of Honor. Teamwork is critical in RO; squad leaders actually lead squads, machine gunners need runners to supply them with ammunition, tank commanders tell tank drivers where to go and the gunner what to shoot, and so on. The level of realism is excellent for a first person shooter, or for a computer game of any kind.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Michiel, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you are starting to make me suspicious as well.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that web marketers aren't actually allowed to deny financial interest; this is a violation of law. I'd be very surprised if that isn't mentioned at least once during their orientation. For this reason, I suspect Michiel's just a fanboy.

Heck, if we didn't know any better, we'd assume that Blayne and KoM were trying to get us all to buy Europa Universalis, and twinky was trying to talk us into buying a Wii. [Smile]

And, y'know, even if he IS lying, at least he's more participatory than a Google Ad.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm merely curious. [Smile]

There isn't anything necessarily wrong with wanting to only discuss one commercial product, in great detail and with glowing words. I just wanted to know if that was where this was going.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that it's the point of this thread, I sort of hope so. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, yeah, sure. But this may or may not be the only thread Michiel is interested in pursuing. I'd find that helpful information, myself, although of course he is welcome to ignore that request. It isn't his job to address my curiosity.

Life is harsh. One can only hope for occasional directions. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, I'll admit that I honestly don't understand why you're interrogating Michiel like this. One thing I've always liked about Hatrack is the willingness to accept new members and give them the benefit of the doubt.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Michiel sounds very, very much like a paid plant. I think CT may be pushing him a bit in order to 1) allow him to demonstrate that this isn't true (assuming that it isn't) and 2) encourage him to explore other parts of the forum instead of just promoting a game.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, but I have been following along. I simply feel that the scrutiny is unwarranted and not in the spirit of this community.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

What MrSquicky said. Although I'd like to explicitly acknowledge (again) that I'm not claiming Michiel owes me anything, be it additional participation in the forum or merely an answer to my question/invitation.

He's free to not respond. I invited twice, asked about it specifically once (since he speaks English as a second language -- I think -- I followed the general rule of being as explicit as possible at least once in such circumstances), and now I plan to drop it.

Had he directly indicated, however gently, a lack of interest sooner, I'd have dropped it then. As it is, I've satisfied both my curiosity and my desire to encourage him, as noted by MrSquicky above. That's it for me, although I'll apologize for any bad behavior this has exhibited on my part.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any apology is necessary, although with CT's stellar personality even an unwarranted one isn't surprising [Smile]

Basically, we have a situation where someone showed up walking like a duck, wearing feathers with a bill and quacking. Calling that person a duck, or asking, "Hey, are you a duck?" ain't out of line, even if the duckish appearance was just a coincidence.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michiel
Member # 7649

- posted      Profile for Michiel   Email Michiel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Thank you, but I have been following along. I simply feel that the scrutiny is unwarranted and not in the spirit of this community.

I agree. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I totally understand you're initial skepticism (even though I think a simple look at my history here would have been sufficient to establish that I am "legit", but fine). But once I explained and re-explained myself I thought we had gotten beyond this nonsense.

If you're so interested in my participation in this forum, I invite you to read all the other threads in this forum going back to March 2005. I am just enthusiastic about this game, and had good reason to suspect others on the board might be as well.

I have read this forum for years before I joined (I only joined to participate in the famous "think of a new for the new Ender book), and this community always struck me as unusually friendly, non-aggressive, and welcoming to new members. Seems I was wrong.

Obviously I cannot prove to you that I don't have financial interests in the Company. I can't prove to you that I don't have financial interests in the SciFi channel either, and still I dared to -enthusiastically- discuss "Battlestar Galactica" in another thread!

You're making me feel awful about participating here.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michiel
Member # 7649

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I'm merely curious. [Smile]

There isn't anything necessarily wrong with wanting to only discuss one commercial product, in great detail and with glowing words. I just wanted to know if that was where this was going.

Obviously you care immensely about this. So you must have read my other posts in other threads. You therefore must *know* that I am NOT here to "just discuss one commercial product".

But whatever, it's pretty clear to me that you that you have convicted me in your mind already, so there is nothing else I can say to persuade you that I am not what you slanderously accuse me of.

Unfortunately, now I must attend to my job. One that does *not* involve chatting on internet bulletin boards, alas.

[ January 09, 2007, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Michiel ]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Michiel:
If you're so interested in my participation in this forum, I invite you to read all the other threads in this forum going back to March 2005.

quote:
Obviously you care immensely about this. So you must have read my other posts in other threads. You therefore must *know* that I do am NOT here to "just discuss one commercial product".
I did! When I did, I found that over half of the 25 posts you had were one- or two-liners.

And given that the industry apparently (see my link to Tycho on the prior page) makes a point of having people establish some sort of background on the site, that didn't seem out of the ordinary for this sort of enterprise. [Edited to add: Nor would it be out of the ordinary for someone who speaks English as a second language, mind you. And certainly there is no minimal requirement for a post! It's just that, in context, I wasn't finding something to be reassured about.]

Which is why I asked you more directly. I can see that it was offensive to ask it as a straight-forward question, and I do (and have) apologized for that. I don't have anything to offer you other than my apology and my promise not to intrude in your thread (or other threads you post in) about this any more.
quote:

I am indeed sorry for this.

---

Edited to add: My job, also alas, is not that of communicating on various online fora. It has just been a day of waiting for returns to pages and emails, and so I have free time on my hands. Apparently, it was not used courteously. That's a shame, and it is my issue.

Michiel
Member # 7649

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michiel:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Jon Boy:
[qb] Thank you, but I have been following along. I simply feel that the scrutiny is unwarranted and not in the spirit of this community.

I agree. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I totally understand your initial skepticism (even though I think a simple look at my history here would have been sufficient to establish that I am "legit", but fine). But once I explained and re-explained myself I thought we had gotten beyond this.

If you're so interested in my participation in this forum, I invite you to read all the other threads in this forum going back to March 2005. I am just enthusiastic about this game, and had good reason to suspect others on the board might be as well.

I have read this forum for years before I joined (I only joined to participate in the famous "think of a new for the new Ender book), and this community always struck me as unusually friendly, non-aggressive, and welcoming to new members. Seems I was wrong.

Obviously I cannot prove to you that I don't have financial interests in the Company. I can't prove to you either that I don't have financial interests in the SciFi channel, and still I dared to -enthusiastically- discuss "Battlestar Galactica" in another thread!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Michiel, you might be hitting the "quote" button instead of the "edit" -- I do that all the time myself. Should you want to delete the redundant posts (not that you have to, mind), there is a "delete" option in the edit form.)
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But whatever, it's pretty clear to me that you that you have convicted me in your mind already, so there is nothing else I can say to persuade you that I am not what you slanderously accuse me of.
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe 'slander' only applies to oral statements (not sure where internet communication falls). Plus, I'm pretty sure they have to be false, which, as you've said, you haven't yet proved.

Plus, I think you're being overly defensive. It sucks to be mistaken for a plant, but the surest way to prove that you're not is not to get indignant; it's to show that you do have interests here beyond this game (in my opinion).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michiel
Member # 7649

quote:
(Michiel, you might be hitting the "quote" button instead of the "edit" -- I do that all the time myself. Should you want to delete the redundant posts (not that you have to, mind), there is a "delete" option in the edit form.)

Thanks. You know, they don't train us very well in the spamming seminars, but I'm trying to learn on the job. [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Basically, we have a situation where someone showed up walking like a duck, wearing feathers with a bill and quacking. Calling that person a duck, or asking, "Hey, are you a duck?" ain't out of line, even if the duckish appearance was just a coincidence.

But we didn't just have that. After saying "No, I am not a duck," he gets asked "So, are you going to do anything here than keep acting like a duck?"

I didn't see anything wrong at all with the initial question, but to keep bringing it up after it's been asked and answered is puzzling.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we'd assume that Blayne and KoM were trying to get us all to buy Europa Universalis
Well, Tom, actually you should buy Europa Universalis. The third game in the series is due out on the 19th; a perfect opportunity!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Thanks. You know, they don't train us very well in the spamming seminars, but I'm trying to learn on the job. [Wink]

Well, we are taught in the Anti-SPammers league to subtly insinuate ourselves into the good graces of those we are trying to out by offering treats and free prizes.

Given that I am a happily married woman, I am somewhat limited in my repertoire. "Details of UBB" is about as good as I can give.

(Psst -- it's also a well-known secret that the search engine for this site is, shall we say, problematic? Thus I might have missed several of your prior posts, regardless.)

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This post does far more to convince me that you're a real boy than any amount of righteous indignation, fwiw.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

But we didn't just have that. After saying "No, I am not a duck," he gets asked "So, are you going to do anything here than keep acting like a duck?"

I didn't see anything wrong at all with the initial question, but to keep bringing it up after it's been asked and answered is puzzling.

And, as has been established, offensive.

I beg the indulgence of the Board and vow never to get involved in this sort of thing ever again here. Apparently I find the Gladys Kravitz role well-nigh irresistable.

Michiel
Member # 7649

quote:
I did! When I did, I found that over half of the 25 posts you had were one- or two-liners.

And given that the industry apparently (see my link to Tycho on the prior page) makes a point of having people establish some sort of background on the site, that didn't seem out of the ordinary for this sort of enterprise. [Edited to add: Nor would it be out of the ordinary for someone who speaks English as a second language, mind you. And certainly there is no minimal requirement for a post! It's just that, in context, I wasn't finding something to be reassured about.]

Which is why I asked you more directly. I can see that it was offensive to ask it as a straight-forward question, and I do (and have) apologized for that. I don't have anything to offer you other than my apology and my promise not to intrude in your thread (or other threads you post in) about this any more.

---

Edited to add: My job, also alas, is not that of communicating on various online fora. It has just been a day of waiting for returns to pages and emails, and so I have free time on my hands. Apparently, it was not used courteously. That's a shame, and it is my issue.

Alright, apologies accepted. I really don't want to abuse the kind hosts of this board and turn this thread into some kind of 'flame war'.

Since it's also obvious to me that it is going to be simply impossible to prove to people with active imaginations that I am not in some ways, if not a bot, then at least a plant (cf. El JT de Spang's recent post) so I won't bother with explicit further responses on this.

ClaudiaTherese: I do speak English as a second language, but I have been in this country for a while, and certainly my foreign background has nothing to do with my posts being short. I can wax verbosely with the best of them. My time being limited is the proximate cause for that.

Enough of this already!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, as has been established, offensive.
It has? Sorry, I must have missed that. I didn't mean to dogpile.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Enough of this already!
Dude. It's been dropped.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Yes, let's talk about WWII games. [Smile]
Euripides
Member # 9315

So Lyrhawn, how is the demo?

I first played as Japan, and felt 'mired' in China, which was historically accurate. Then I played as Germany and gobbled up Yugoslavia, Hungary, Poland, and Alsace-Lorraine before the demo cut out.

I personally find Civilization more entertaining, but this is still good fun.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt a bit mired in China when I was Japan. They allied with the Commies and threw huge numbers at me and it was taking forever to get my industrial base in Japan to produce reinforcements. I think it did a great job of showing how truly limited their industrial base was, and how once the factories are maxed out, that's really all you get, and it comes down to playing your pieces as best as possible. And they really need more bombers. Carrier based fighters and the limited bombers they had weren't enough.

I didn't play Germany, but I tried France and Italy out (and the USA, but they were a bit much). With Italy I tried to smash into Albania, Greece and Yugoslavia, only to find my forces mired there, and not really getting anywhere until Germany rolled over them with armor. Italy was weak, and only really got crap territories for the effort.

France on the other hand was fun. I partnered up with Britain and declared a preemptive war on Germany after stacking my forces on the border. I snapped up Alsace-Lorraine and the British immediately poured over the border to back me up with air cover. Germany was stuck in the east, which left me plenty of time to reinforce myself and dig in. I got into trouble once Italy breached my southern defenses, but it was still fun, and I think if Britain had helped me WWI style with some armor and troops, I would've held them off.

What's Civ like?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I would curious to find out if in the full game, one could play Japan and change its occupation policy. That's one thing the game doesn't seem to take into consideration; the mindset/morale/alignment of the people in each region (or am I just missing it?). In Civ, if Japan captures a Chinese city, the inhabitants of that city remain Chinese (the proportion of Japanese to Chinese grows over time). They will rebel, and Japanese troops would have to remain there to occupy it and quell the rebellion. Rebellion and civil disturbance is possible in any city, depending upon the supply of luxury goods and other needs, entertainment venues, etc. In the Chinese cities, the native inhabitants will be disgruntled if you continue a war against their mother country. And if you were particularly brutal when capturing their territory, they will remain alienated for much longer.

So, what I'd like to see in the final game is if I can correct Japan's mistakes in SEA (from a purely strategic standpoint, not a moral one). Japan's most glaring weakness in the war was it's inability to protect its merchant marine and supply routes, and to successfully draw resources from its colonies (since it alienated the local populations). Will I get to do more than just refrain from trashing the existing infrastructure?

Maybe we can have a Hatrack challenge; who can get closest to Nuber's Italy?

Germany was stuck in the East? So Russia was helping you?

Civ is more generalized, since it spans the entire history of human civilization, but it's based on the dynamics of history and society which are pretty constant, and is therefore fairly realistic (at least plausible). It also takes cultural influence into consideration, and so it isn't focused exclusively on the military industrial arena. It kind of offers a richer 'world leader' experience.

[ January 10, 2007, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Since it's also obvious to me that it is going to be simply impossible to prove to people with active imaginations that I am not in some ways, if not a bot, then at least a plant (cf. El JT de Spang's recent post) so I won't bother with explicit further responses on this.

If you want to be a part of the community here, then my advice is simply to go ahead and do so. Yeah, some people are going to be suspicious, but the more you stick around and talk the less suspicious even the "people with active imaginations" will be.

And if you don't want to be part of the community, then why even bother sticking around to defend yourself. So what if a bunch of jerks like us think that you're a plant [Wink] .

Seriously, though, any way you look at it indignation won't be much help to you. Personally, I'm always in favor of new people coming in to contribute, so by all means, please do.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Germany was stuck in their invasion of Romania and Poland. As soon as they crossed the border into Poland I went after them. The west was way underdefended. Fortress Germany my foot.

Yeah I too was curious about the garrison forces. I always left an extra infantry unit in captured territory. It seems very odd that you can leave conquered territories undefended.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

If you want to try out something like Civ, there is always Freeciv. It's open source and based on Civ II. All the game mechanics are there.

We could play that together sometime, while we're waiting for Making History.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So this is out now. I saw it at Best Buy the other day when I was getting Medieval Total War II.

Once I max out on MediWar, I think I'm going to get this, unless Sean can talk me into one of the Civ games, but I want a grand strategy RISK like game that I can play over the net with someone, and I know for a fact that Making History is fun from the demo.

If only people still played Star Wars Rebellion and Star Trek Birth of the Federation.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.