FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If there was a thread on Time's person of the year...

Author Topic: If there was a thread on Time's person of the year...
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it ddn't have "time" in the title. Or anywhere in the message text.

My first thought on seeing the issue was "What in the butt-kissing lame-out?" Yes, Time's 2006 person of the year is: You. The stupid thing is the little mirror screen is clearly the youTube navigator.

But then, I couldn't come up with a compelling alternate. Is it just because I've become so out of touch? Why not Mel Gibson or Foley or... you know, someone the majority doesn't like but who nonetheless had a huge impact on events? Like the years Saddam Hussein and Hitler were dubbed man of the year? What about Pelosi? How often is there an arguable woman of the year?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Me? I'm so honored. Of course I couldn't win sexiest man alive, but oh well. I have so many people to thank. First of all God, he gives me the power to be so awesome. Then I would like to thank my family. Of course the academy (I don't know which one). This ranks right up there with almost getting my Eagle badge in boyscouts and the time I got off with a warning when I was speeding. I hope that ... (music starts and the six foot beauty in a dress ushers me off stage)
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, pooka. At least they can probably get away with this only once.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, it is very lame indeed, but probably sounded like a splendid idea during the editorial meeting (after a few snifters and a heavy lunch).

Mind you, I for one feel honoured. I shall use my new-found fame, and thus media access, for the betterment of mankind. Look for me on Oprah...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

Not exactly. From Wikipedia:

quote:
1950 The American Fighting-Man
1956 Hungarian Freedom Fighter
1960 U.S. Scientists
1966 The Generation Twenty-Five and Under
1969 The Middle Americans
1975 American women
1982 The Computer
1988 Endangered Earth
2003 The American Soldier
2006 You

Seems they burn out every five years or so.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I can deal with the "general category X" kind of PotY award. At least there is some context.

But "you?" That's nothing!

I was robbed, man. This isn't what I paid for.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You paid to be Time's person of the year?? You got gypped.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No, she got exactly what she paid for.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(that's the joke [Wink] -- but my wit runs dry, the funny has left the building. I weep.)
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
actually i got the joke. was just trying to be funny myself. I promise not to do it again. [Razz]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Awwwrrgh! The Funny - it has left me completely!

[Wink]

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
"You", alone, is lame.

"You", meaning "the fact that common people are gaining access to massive-scale media distribution and changing our entertainment culture" is perfectly legitimate.

Of course, the way they're promoting it is lame [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So let me get this straight... an individual American woman has never been the Time PotY? And in a year when we had the first ever female speaker-elect, they go with "you"? Now I'm really unimpressed to the point of nausea. I mean, I'm not a big Pelosi fan, but come on.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how "Endangered Earth" could possibly qualify as person of the year. Then again, if corporations can be people in the eyes of the law, I guess planets can, too...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
So let me get this straight... an individual American woman has never been the Time PotY? And in a year when we had the first ever female speaker-elect, they go with "you"? Now I'm really unimpressed to the point of nausea. I mean, I'm not a big Pelosi fan, but come on.

Since Pelosi didn't actually become Speaker until 2007, I'm not sure why she'd be person of the year in 2006.

Now, if she runs the country into the ground like she seems to wants, you could probably make a strong case for 2007.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet she will be for 07, and they are saving her for that.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You", meaning "the fact that common people are gaining access to massive-scale media distribution and changing our entertainment culture" is perfectly legitimate.
I agree. For those who haven't read the article:

quote:
It's about the cosmic compendium of knowledge Wikipedia and the million-channel people's network YouTube and the online metropolis MySpace. It's about the many wresting power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world, but also change the way the world changes.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I will consent to be mollified. Grudgingly.

Now gerroffmylawn. [Wink]

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like the years Saddam Hussein and Hitler were dubbed man of the year?
It has been the unoficial policy of Time Magazine for some time (since 1979) to only list more or less popular people as Person of the Year. Why 1979, becouse that was the year the got a lot of angry letters about Ruhollah Khomeini being Man of the Year.
Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Was Deng Xiaoping popular in the US?
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on Pelosi being person of the year for 2007, depending on how things go. I may or may not start a thread later tonight on her first actions in the "100 Hours" the Dems are touting.

"You" doesn't bother me for the reason Puppy stated. The "You" in question here are the people who are using Myspace and YouTube, Blogger and other sites on the internet to take control of the media really. I consider the access to and flow of information in the world to be one of the greatest inventions of the last century (and the internet to be one the greatest of all time, prase be to Al Gore). So when the people more or less take control of it, and remove traditional power from the giant media conglomerates, I'm perfectly willing to let "You" be the people of the year.

Personally I thought making Rudy Giuliani PotY in 2001 was ridiculous. I wouldn't have even called him the Person of September. Last years "The Good Samaratans" was a cop out. The American Soldier in 2003 seemed like a "Well, we have to get to them eventually, might as well do it now," vote.

It's not like the TIME has some huge reputation of truthfulness and integrity to live up to in their choice for a new person of the year. It's usually just the guy on the front pages of the most papers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would have been the person of the year had Time not gunned for 'us.'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Why should he be? He's a loudmouth figurehead. He doesn't even have the real power necessary to pull off any of the things he is touting. It's like making Tony Snow person of the year.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicholasStewart
Member # 9781

- posted      Profile for NicholasStewart   Email NicholasStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I setup a voting thing for "2006 Person of the Year" on my site and "You" was no where to be found.
http://listoffavorites.com/home/list_answers/21

To get a jump start on 2007 I setup a voting thing for "2007 Person of the Year" on my site. Currently, "Not You" is at the top.
http://listoffavorites.com/home/list_answers/103

Posts: 65 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Why should he be? He's a loudmouth figurehead. He doesn't even have the real power necessary to pull off any of the things he is touting. It's like making Tony Snow person of the year.

Richard Stengel, the editor of time, has confirmed that the standard process in personage selection would have left Ahmadinejad at the top, as the visible face of anti-Americanism and anti-Zionism that has come to prominence in the age beyond the Iraq invasion.

He didn't feel right to do it, though, so he copped out and went for the You story. Not the first cop-out, either: they couldn't bring themselves to put Osama on the 2001 edition.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, as an icon, I suppose. Still seems to be missing the mark.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The article suggested that the "great man" view of history was on the wane as well. This may have been a sign that Time is less interested in this aspect of its public role. I think that's a very sensible idea- write about influential people, but there has never been a Person of the Year who wasn't woefully inadequate, or who didn't have serious competition for the title. It's just a lopsided way of looking at things, and I think time is getting that.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

The American Soldier in 2003 seemed like a "Well, we have to get to them eventually, might as well do it now," vote.

So true.

I would not be surprised if 2007's PotY is either Barak Obama or Steve Jobs.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

The article suggested that the "great man" view of history was on the wane as well. This may have been a sign that Time is less interested in this aspect of its public role. I think that's a very sensible idea- write about influential people, but there has never been a Person of the Year who wasn't woefully inadequate, or who didn't have serious competition for the title. It's just a lopsided way of looking at things, and I think time is getting that.
(*whispers -- I was being facetious. Not doing it well, obviously, but nonetheless. Just so you know.

Now that I've tried to explain the Funny yet again, it has officially died, decomposed, and is now in the process of being incorporated into the organelles of various microscopic bacteria.)

pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
The article suggested that the "great man" view of history was on the wane as well.
So why not say "No person of the year this year. Sorry."

It had occured to me they might save Pelosi for next year, but that was my thought on Obama as well. Though I'm sure Pelosi will justify it far more by the end of the year (assuming this year is as boring as last, which is unlikely). Let's face it, we may like the idea of Obama but he'd be a difficult choice to justify.

But if "The Good Samaritans" could be a P ot Y, why can't "Actors in need of a swift ass-kicking" and include everyone who's been in rehab or had to apologize to the public this year? To ignore the overturn of congress seems silly as well. Anyway, I've just always hated Time magazine and I'm groveling in my brief excuse to do so with some reason.

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
"Was Deng Xiaoping popular in the US?"

Much more so than previous Chinese leadership, at least in Washington.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if "The Good Samaritans" could be a P ot Y, why can't "Actors in need of a swift ass-kicking" and include everyone who's been in rehab or had to apologize to the public this year? To ignore the overturn of congress seems silly as well.
I don't think they necessarily ignored it. If the biggest "change" in this country was the election, it's worth noting that the most important aspect of the election was that it was driven by "You" -- the grassroots bloggers, the YouTubers, and by extension average voters -- more than ever before.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.