FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Songs for a mix titled "Late nights and cigarettes"

Author Topic: Songs for a mix titled "Late nights and cigarettes"
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a huge jazz/swing aficionado. I listen to a fair amount (mostly on NPR's "The Swing Years and Beyond") but I don't know many names of prominent players or songs of significance. Anyone wanna help me out? I've decided that my insomnia needs a soundtrack, so I am putting one together. If you've heard Frank Sinatra's album In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning, then you know the kind of songs I'm looking for. I'm using most of that album.

Other songs I already picked: Miles Davis "It Never Entered My Mind", Billie Holiday "God Bless the Child", Nina Simone "Don't Smoke In Bed", Glenn Miller "Moonlight Serenade", Lena Horne "Ill Wind."

I adore doubles, so if you know of other great versions of any song I mention I would welcome them with open arms. Ears. Whatever.

Less traditional songs are also welcome (I have a couple of Paul Simon's, and R.E.M. and Jefferson Airplane are both represented), though in general I'd prefer stuff a little more old school.

Some of you guys know approximately everything about music so hopefully someone can help me out. Or, if I'm being pointless, point me towards an older thread. Okay, dazzle me! I'll turn the lights down low and we'll talk jazz.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite jazz songs is Take Five by Dave Brubeck. A song that might be good for your insomnia is Lullaby of Birdland by Stan Getz. If you like that song look up more stuff by Stan Getz. He's incredible.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I have a version of Lullaby of Birdland by George Sharing! It is totally inaproppriate for insomnia though. Very upbeat. I'll have to check out this Mr. Getz of whom you speak.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Laura Nyro is not jazz, but, come on, I am the Blue starts with the line, "Cigarettes I'm all alone with my smoke and ashes."
Perfect!
You also need In a Sentimental Mood and Miles Davis's Moon Dreams. Those are essential night songs.
Then you have Ella to consider. There's so much Ella for this that is perfect.
And I'm obsessed with the song The Fog by Kate Bush. It's not jazz, but I've listened to it 101 times since yesterday and it makes me rather mellow and relaxed.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ella doing Lullabye of Birdland. (Not mellow, though!)

Hmmm, I am very fond of Kate Wolf when I need to mellow out-- "Safe at Anchor" is my insomnia song-- but it's not jazz, not by a long shot.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
"Black Coffee" sung by Sarah Vaughn is an amazing song. I also think you'd enjoy anything off of Mile's Davis' Kind of Blue album. Good stuff there.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't put Tom Waits on a mix album called "Late Nights and Cigarettes," I'm pretty sure something horrible happens.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't fit the theme at all, but when I read the subject I immediately thought of Cigarettes Will Kill You by Ben Lee.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest the song "Miles Davis' Funeral" by Morphine. It's not exactly jazz. But I think it might fit very nicely on your mix tape.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Guilty"? (Randy Newman, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt)

Not jazz/swing. Just what came to mind.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know K D Lang's album Drag? It has some beautiful cigarette songs on it.

The other song I think of is from Guys & Dolls: My Time of Day. But I probably just like it because I did that show in high school.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Take that song Jim-Me's girl made; he linked to it in 10 Things to Do Before I Die. It's modern, but it's relaxing.

That song U2 did in The Unforgettable Fire, Lullaby -- also relaxing.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
look into this one, I have it on a mixed cd but know nothing about it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... "relaxing" isn't a word I usually associate with "Last Rite" [Smile] . If you were to take a song of Michelle's for an album called "Late Nights and Cigarettes" I'd probably suggest "After Five"

In a completely wrong style for it, seeing the thread title made me think immediately of Led Zepplin's "In the Evening".

Obscurely, A-Ha's (yes the guys who did "Take On Me"-- just trust me) "The Way We Talk" would be perfect. It's off an excellent but nearly unknown 1991 CD called "East of the Sun, West of the Moon"

Kristy Kruger has a song called "I Will Make You Love Me" that is a fairly humorous "girl on a piano" type tune that would be fun. It's on the CD "Bachelor of Apathy." She also does a country version of Depeche Mode's "Never Let Me Down" that's an interesting mix of upbeat and dark... it's on "Songs from a Dead Man's Couch." Both are sampled at her web site

Kind of a stretch, but I'm flat partial to Lonestar's cover of Mark Cohn's "Walking in Memphis" for almost any occasion.

Edit to add... I never heard the studio version, but Tori Amos's "Cornflake Girl" might be a decent fit, too.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Chet Baker, Time after Time. Good enough sample to give you a feel of his best stuff from before '66, when his horn and smooth voice 'd charm the pants off of you...as well as off of any wannabe-close-to friend.

Billy Holiday's You Go to my Head

[ January 13, 2007, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm So Tired" (John Lennon/Beatles):

quote:
I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset, although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid git.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost anything by Cowboy Junkies.

A lot of Ambient Electronica.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Thanks, everyone. I'm placing holds. And listening to Chet Baker at the moment, as a matter of fact.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.