FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "A Song of Ice and Fire" TV show? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "A Song of Ice and Fire" TV show?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Bean!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting choice. I'm further encouraged by the casting of Mark Addy -- which I hadn't heard. So far it looks like the casting is going to be pitch-perfect. Nice.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
Never read the book, but I'm a big fan of fantasy. And Sean Bean in anything increases its entertainment value by at least 14%. This definitely works it in its favor.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had hoped Sean Bean would wind up being the Blackfish, but Ned's a good second choice.

I hope. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sean Bean has made it onto just about every "who would you cast for ASOIAF" list for various rolls. Mostly I think that once you have some respect for one roll in a geek movie, geeks think of you for others. Looks like the same is true of casting directors [Smile] .

I think they should die his hair a bit darker, and he should grow his beard out a bit, but I think he'd be a great Ned. He will only be needed for the first season only, which makes sense for someone who is a reasonably established star to commit to.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all their choices. I did a google image search of the two he didn't have pictures of. The boy who will play Joffrey is the kid in the Batman movies, and Harry Lloyd is a very recognizable British TV actor, who (apparently) will be the next Doctor on Doctor Who.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
you mean after Matt Smith? [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
OOH!

I just finished A Clash Of Kings must finish all > [Embarrassed]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, take your time.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they only come out about every 3 years.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Every 3 years?? It's been what, 5 years since A Feast For Crows? And that's the one that was supposed to come out extra fast because it was partially written already.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

lotsa news!

(more details over at GRRM's blog )

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
When I reached a certain threshold of witnessing GRRM fans gripe and moan about the release schedule and delays of the Song of Various Stark Family Members Killed by Ice and Fire and Other Rather Nasty Elements book series, I decided that my solution was to not start reading the books until either

1. the book series was completed, or
2. grrm was dead.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

That may be sensible (though I think reading the books now is still worth the wait), but why spoil the books for yourself by coming into this spoilery thread?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not spoiled by much spoilery stuff and I have a knack for skimming it so that I don't register nearly any of it.

To date I only know that a perennial habit of starks is dying a lot. I could not tell you which starks died. Not a one. I know none of their names.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these books. It would be interesting to see the show, but I don't get HBO, so hopefully they'll also be released on DVD.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you should do is watch it on YON PIRATE BAY CHANNEL but honestly if you end up watching the whole thing because it's good, reward that investment by the producers and buy that set.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

I've been re-reading A Game of Thrones, and thinking about what they'll try to fit in the pilot.

My guess = ending it when Jaime throws Bran out the window. That seems about right for a 2-hour show, and would be a great cliffhanger to end on. (Back when I first read the book, that was certainly the first point at which I wanted to know, OK, now what???)

natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been picked up:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/hbo-will-play-game-of-thrones/

Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meanwhile, Mr. Martin should have plenty of time to finish writing the last two books in what he has said is a seven-book series.
o.O
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Awesome news, thanks for sharing.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see this (even though I have to, just like the books [Frown] )
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Eesh. I'm currently in my first read through, and just got to that scene in A Storm of Swords.

I didn't want to read it. Realizing that I'd finally reached that scene was not a happy moment.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
what scene?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, I don't want to say what it was, but the Rains of Cantamere play a large part.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

You can just say the Red Wedding. Nobody who's gotten that far knows what it is, and anybody who has... does.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
After I read that scene, I had to put the book down and sit in the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up, I was so shocked.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yeah. The Red Wedding... damn.

What's worse is the multiple chapters immediately after that where other characters celebrate it.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought A Game of Thrones two weeks ago and haven't gotten to it yet. It's currently third on my read list behind Dune, which I'm in the middle of, and a book I borrowed from a friend that I need to read and return next week. I'm caught between wanting to buy the next Dune book and continue with that series, or stopping and reading AGOT first. With a few hesitations, I'm really liking Dune. But the excitement over AGOT is pretty intense all around.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Lyrhawn, I'm always hesitant to overhype things, because not every piece of art is right for everyone, and I don't want to set unrealistic expectations.

But if you're okay with very grim, realistic, bittersweet fantasy, A Song of Ice and Fire can't come higher recommended. You probably already knew that.

I guess what I'm saying is... read A Game of the Thrones already!! [Big Grin]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Dang it, Lyrhawn, you're entering into good book territory.

Dune is probably the best of the Dune series, and the next one, Dune Messiah, is alright. It overuses the whole "main character sees the future, but doesn't bother to tell the reader what he's seeing" thing.

Interesting story, though. The third one should be read immediately afterwards... though it's the only one I've only read once. The rest I've read multiple times.

The fourth one, God-Emperor of Dune, is really good, and I don't care what anyone says, the fifth and sixth, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune are probably my favorite, in a weird way.

Ahh, Duncan Idaho'.

Anyway, as for A Game of Thrones, Dan_Frank has the right of it.

Weirdly enough, though, throughout the first three books so far, it doesn't feel like three separate books, even the way the Dune books or most others do. Perhaps it's because I'm reading them literally one after the other, but they definitely feel very much like one longer story than three separate novels. If you bound them all into one book, I'd not be able to tell, other than every once in awhile there was an even bigger cliffhanger than the usual ones in there.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I'm gonna say this and it's gonna sound weird to anyone who hasn't gotten to A Storm of Swords:

I think Jaime Lannister is my favorite character in this entire series.

[ March 09, 2010, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Your favorite character wishes you'd spell his name correctly. [Smile]

But seriously, I sort of agree. I don't know if I can truly have a favorite character, but Jaime is definitely in my top 5 or top 10 or whatever number I'd need to have to create my "top" list.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

The series is brilliant, if for no other reason, for that character.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

At this point I can't even call the Lannisters the bad guys anymore. Well, except for Cersei. She's a bitch.

The weird thing is, at this point half my favorite characters are Lannisters, and the other two are Jon and Dany. At this point the Starks don't even feel like main characters anymore. It's as much the Lannisters' story as theirs. And I wouldn't have guessed that when I started reading, not at all.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Lyrhawn, you should probably stop reading this thread, by the way.

Megabyte: I love re-reading the Jaime sections in the first books, with the experience of having been in his head in mind. He comes across very differently. Or, he did to me.

Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah, this has devolved into a spoiler thread. Not that I mind spoiler threads, but this one isn't clearly labeled. Knowing that there is a horrible event called the "Red Wedding" in the third book is a pretty blatant spoiler to anyone with half a brain.

(I have an ASOIAF spoiler thread we can bump for that purpose, or we can rename this one)

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Hrm, well, rename this one for now I guess? I can edit my posts. Should I edit my posts?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. [Big Grin]

I feel like i barely remember some of the books, it's been a while since I reread them. I guess it's time then. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Dan: I'm definitely going to do that! I need to go back and see it. After being in the guy's head, it'll make for a very different experience, I think.

Also, once again, I really wouldn't have guessed he'd become my favorite character. It's bizarre!

Kwea: Go! Read them! Apparently Martin is actually getting stuff close to done on A Dance of Dragons, hopefully, so maybe you won't have to wait long for the fifth one!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Don't edit your posts. Ever.

[ March 10, 2010, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Um... what? Then why did you edit... oh never mind, I didn't see the unedited version.
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect A Dance of Dragons, and possibly the rest of the series, has been done for some time. He's just waiting to release it so he can take advantage of the popularity of the HBO series. That's not really based on anything solid, just a gut feeling.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really doubt it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there's virtually no chance of that. The book was long overdue far before the HBO series had been conceived of, and Martin had no way of knowing for sure whether or not the show would be greenlit.

I'm honestly not sure how they'll be able to fit a book's worth of material into the typical 16 or so episodes of a typical HBO season. They're going to have to cut like mad.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:

Kwea: Go! Read them! Apparently Martin is actually getting stuff close to done on A Dance of Dragons, hopefully, so maybe you won't have to wait long for the fifth one!

I think I heard this first 2 years ago.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
I suspect A Dance of Dragons, and possibly the rest of the series, has been done for some time. He's just waiting to release it so he can take advantage of the popularity of the HBO series. That's not really based on anything solid, just a gut feeling.

He has stated on his website, "when A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is finished, I will post that news here. The moment I finish the book, I will log on and make the announcement. You guys will be the third ones to know, right after Parris and my publishers." He has been providing sparing updates on his livejournal account which indicate it is not finished yet.

To believe as you have stated above, you must believe that GRRM is lying, and I see no reason to believe that.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by natural_mystic:
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:

I think I heard this first 2 years ago.
Well he said it was almost done when A Feast For Crows came out.

And that was what, 5 years ago?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yes, yes, I'm aware. But I can hope, can't I?

Darn it, I shall hope.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I'm hoping too, I just try to temper my hope with small doses of reality.

And I try not to think about how many more books there are supposed to be, and how old and fat GRRM is, and... yeah. [Frown]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.