FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love Seattle

Author Topic: I love Seattle
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I just spent about ten days in Seattle with a good friend of mine. I love it there! I am actually considering moving there sometime in late August or early September.

The hills are so beautiful and on the clear days when you can see the mountains, there's no words to describe how nice it is. And yeah, it was snowing when I was there, which apparently is unusual, but that didn't affect my falling in love with the city.

I love you Seattle! Good people, good sushi, good coffee, good landscape. What more could you ask for in a city?

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, sister.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:
I love you Seattle! Good people, good sushi, good coffee, good landscape. What more could you ask for in a city?

As a former Seattlite there are a few things I could ask for:

Better housing prices.
Less cultural elitism.
Cheaper downtown parking.
Lou Pinella (how we miss thee).
Less traffic on I-5, I-90, 99 and 520.
Fewer deceased people voting.
An indoor football stadium (Kingdome, we miss you too)
Less contempt for the rest of the state.

But then again, there is Dick's burgers, so maybe that trumps everything.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee... coffee... coffee...

When I visited Seattle (went to see Valve Software), they literally had THREE Starbucks within walking distance of the office.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
In all fairness, it's contempt for Eastern Wash, and they have as much, if not more, contempt for us.

The others I can agree with.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I enjoyed Seattle while I was there for a week but I can't be sure. I was on my honeymoon so that was good, but my car was racking up a 4k+ repair/tow bill the entire week so that kinda put a damper on things.

I worry that if I ever go back, Ill do nothing but worry about my car if I drive up, if I fly up I worry Ill do nothing but think about how bad it was the last time I went.

[Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, you had to mention Dick's.

Now I won't be able to have a burger for the next three months without craving one.

Thanks a lot!!!

Tull

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, Dick's . . . a cultural icon to beat the more visible and well-known ones.

Haughty contempt and cultural elitism are just part of the game.

And the traffic. Now. *shudders* It took me three hours to get from Swedish Hospital back to Lacey on a Tuesday.

I remember when it was possible to make your plane leaving south Lacey for SeaTac, one hour prior to takeoff. Now, those were the days. *dreamily reminisces*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
In all fairness, it's contempt for Eastern Wash, and they have as much, if not more, contempt for us.

The others I can agree with.

Oh you better believe it. [Wink] It's like the Cascades are a sort of mystical divider.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JLM:
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:

As a former Seattlite there are a few things I could ask for:

Better housing prices.
Less cultural elitism.
Cheaper downtown parking.
Lou Pinella (how we miss thee).
Less traffic on I-5, I-90, 99 and 520.
Fewer deceased people voting.

But then again, there is Dick's burgers, so maybe that trumps everything.

I'd add Tim Eyman, and nod vigorously about the traffic (and the scary darwinistic driving that seems to go with it.)

But, yeah, I like Seattle. Snappy Dragon, tons of good Indian food, the Crystal Ballroom, the Seattle Center, Half Price Books, Pike Place Market..

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
When I visited Seattle (went to see Valve Software), they literally had THREE Starbucks within walking distance of the office.

Envy envy envy envy envy envy.

(Valve Software, not the three Starbucks in a block. Have that here. [Smile] )

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

(Valve Software, not the three Starbucks in a block. Have that here. [Smile] )

Seconded.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
I spent two weeks in the Seattle area (one in July and one in February) and I loved every minute of it.

One thing you’ve got to watch out for, though, is those wild blackberry bushes. (John Wyndham must have got his inspiration for “The Day of the Triffids” from a visit to Seattle.) If you wander off the beaten path, the carnivorous blackberry bushes will rip you to shreds and then raccoons will eat what is left, and you will never be seen again. [Big Grin]

But aside from that it is a beautiful area.

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes...

I used to live in Vancouver. Drove down to Seattle quite a lot of times. Great city. Beautiful. [/pines]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JLM:

What is this blasphemy? Football is only football if it's played and viewed outdoors!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you beleive I've lived here almost 14 years and have never been to Dicks'?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*falls over in a dead faint*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Can you beleive I've lived here almost 14 years and have never been to Dicks'?

Keep it that way. Seriously. You are not missing anything.

The only appeal of Dick's is that the food is incredibly quick and open incredibly late.

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like having food fall out of the bottom of the bag because it was so soaked in grease it lost integrity. [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Bush:

One thing you’ve got to watch out for, though, is those wild blackberry bushes. (John Wyndham must have got his inspiration for “The Day of the Triffids” from a visit to Seattle.) If you wander off the beaten path, the carnivorous blackberry bushes will rip you to shreds and then raccoons will eat what is left, and you will never be seen again. [Big Grin]

Those we've got in the SE corner of Kansas! But the description was so delightful and familiar that I had to post on it. My back three acres are full of them, complemented by the Poison Ivy.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
SEATTLE
Perry Como

The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle
And the hills the greenest green in Seattle
Like a beautiful child growing up free and wild
Full of hopes and full of fears
Full of laughter full of tears
Full of dreams to last the years in Seattle,
in Seattle

If you ever fall in love with a logger
There is something you will have to understand
For as much as he may care you will always
Have to share his love with his green mountain land

When it's time to leave your home and your loved ones
It's the hardest thing a girl can ever do
And you pray that you will find
Someone strong and good and kind
But you're not sure what's waiting there for you

When you find your own true love
You will know it
By his smile, by the look in his eye
Scent of pine trees in the air
Never knew a day so fair
It makes you feel so good
That you could cry

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

That's a great song! Where'd you find it? Perry who?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perry who?
Oh Earendil !! You just made Sybil and I both feel very, very old...
[Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

Sorry to you both! [Kiss]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
it was so soaked in grease it lost integrity. [Wink]

I've been there myself.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.