FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More "Prince Caspian" casting news!

Author Topic: More "Prince Caspian" casting news!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Queen Prunaprismia, Caspian's "evil aunt" has been cast...

My gosh. She's gorgeous.

Trumpkin the dwarf cast!

My gosh. He's gor-....*....uh...wait.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one smokin' evil aunt.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...she looks far too nice to be Prunaprismia. Prunes and prisms, right? Hrmph. She's going to need some serious uglifying makeup.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lewis never described Prunaprismia's looks. In fact, she may be one of the biggest blank slates of the original book. We know that she hated Caspian and was married to Miraz...that's about it.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why you think that the aunt needs to be ugly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Reepicheep is going to have to be cgi, right? They need someone with a big voice.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Reepicheep, Trufflehunter, and the other Talking Beasts will be done by CGI, yes.

Yet another casting announcement:

Vincent Grass has been cast as Dr. Cornelius, Caspian's beloved mentor.

stihl1
Member # 1562

Reepicheep is my favorite.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was mainly going off the name. I guess I always associated the term with the sour, nasty governess type. However, upon looking it up, I see that it's more of an attitude that a look. I therefore retract. [Razz]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
I"m excited that the cast list is coming out, it means the movie's moving along. I for one am excited to see it, they did a good job with Narnia so I'm expecting that Caspian will be too.

I think Reepicheep's my favorite too.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I can't believe this movie is moving along so fast. LWWW seems like it just came out...but it has been a year.

P.S. Puffy Treat, will you zip me an email? I'm at cecilyjeanne at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Warwick Davis cast as Nikabrik, the bitter, ultimately murderous dwarf.

Oddly enough, Warwick played Reepicheep in two of the shoestring budget, meandering-scripted BBC Narnia productions.

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, it's the guy they cast as Trumpkin who looks more like how I imagined Nikabrik... though I imagine that will no longer be the case once they're in makeup and in costume and on the screen.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I found, too. I imagine they'll do well in their parts, though.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

I always imagined Trumpkin as a jolly old fat dwarf. Kinda like a small Santa Clause with a long nose.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Further casting news...and a sign that as in the LWW film, brand new characters will show up!

Certain Narnia fans are having *ahem* a cow over the notion of a "good" Narnian minotaur over on the NarniaWeb message boards.

Personally, I like the notion. Maybe it's my LDS upbringing, but I have big problems with the idea of an innately evil species, even in a fantasy setting.

Heck, there were evil Talking Beasts, Giants, Dwarfs, and Tree Spirits in LWW...yet that didn't mean every Narnian creature of that sort was evil.

Mara
Member # 2232

- posted      Profile for Mara   Email Mara         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, Peter Dinklage is *amazing*. He'll make a fabulous Trumpkin, even if he doesn't look quite like I imagine him.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can accept the decision to have a good minotaur, so long as it isn't the common thing in the films. I like the idea of emphasising that it doesn't matter who you are, you are not born evil. Having a traditionally evil creature as good will help to emphasise that. However, I think it's important to retain certain classical traditions in these stories, especially considering Lewis's character. I think that, if done for the right reason, he would be willing to accept such a change. I just hope that it does not change the story too much beyond what is more or less necessary.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lewis stated in an interview once that creatures in Narnia have the ability to choose between good and evil. He didn't say "except for minotaurs", so I think this doesn't challenge any of his views. [Smile]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

There you go, then. I haven't read much of him outside of his fiction (although I've read Narnia near obsessively), but it seemed fitting.
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with the concept of a good minotaur. I don't have a problem with adding characters either, so long as they don't suck and/or make the film suck.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

That would really be one of my biggest priorities.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The voice of Trufflehunter Badger has been cast!

The official press release on the start of filming this week!

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I don't know why you think that the aunt needs to be ugly.

I agree. I think it would add to the character, being as she's evil, if she had powers of persuasion from her looks.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

General Glozelle cast!

You know...the Telmarine military commander? Yeah, him.

So...still waiting on Reepicheep and Miraz news.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For some reason I've always imagined Reepicheep having an outrageous British or French accent.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lewis described Reep's voice as being shrill and piping.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So...the French accent then?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

That would bring up continuity questions. British people have visited Narnia since the very first day of its creation.

Hispanic-Indigenous Islander cross types slipped through cracks between the Worlds later and became the Telmarines.

Where would a French accent come from? [Confused]

[ February 24, 2007, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You've seen previews for Ratatouille. Perhaps the mice of Narnia came from Paris. [Smile]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

I don't think it poses a huge continuity problem if Reepicheep ends up with an odd accent. Albeit, it would still be odd. Personally, I hope he gets a Brit accent, especially as his ideals fit that of the ideal Brit of a former age. I mean, that scene in VDT where we are told that he is the sort who will lose a chess game because he'll sacrifice a knight simply because that's what a knight with any honour would do! He's more of a Gawain than a Lancelot.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Warwick Davis cast as Nikabrik, the bitter, ultimately murderous dwarf.

Oddly enough, Warwick played Reepicheep in two of the shoestring budget, meandering-scripted BBC Narnia productions.

Holy crap. That was him in all those movies?!!! [Eek!]

Dang, I commend the makeup artists for all their fabulous work!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Miraz, the film's "big bad" has been cast!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.