FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got in!

Author Topic: I got in!
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
So....I just, rather anti-climatically, found out online that I was accepted to read for an MPhil in Modern Society and Global Transformations at Cambridge.

[Eek!]

[Big Grin]

I applied back in October in part because of some questions about job security with what I'm doing now. But as the months have worn on I've been leaning more and more toward going on to graduate school....and now I actually can! At my first choice school! (I also applied to a security studies program at Georgetown and was intending to apply to King's College London, but I'm not going to now.)

Strange how I was so ready to be done with classes but after a year in the real world I miss *thinking*...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy bejeepers. Congratulations!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh course you did. They're lucky to have you.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Thanks, all [Smile]

Are there any Hatrackers who are at Oxbridge? I want to say Amira was at Oxford, but I could be imagining that...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Congratulations, Kasie!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!

[The Wave]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Congratulations! Grad study in the UK is great. I'm currently doing an MSc International Relations - althought not at Oxbridge. By all reports (I know a bunch of people who went to Cambridge) its a really nice place to be.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Welcome back, EG!

If you are still living/studying/working in the UK if/when I come, we should meet up. As it is, I'd love to chat with you about the whole experience...I've done my homework so I know it's different from the American system, but I only know what I've read and would love to talk to someone...

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm studying until I hand my dissertation in at 5pm on September 2 this year. Hopefully I'll have work lined up here after that and be here for a year or two. I'm guessing you're starting in Michaelmas Term in late Sept / early Oct? One year programme?

If our dates cross then I'd be great to meet up. I'm studying at the London School of Economics which probably has a somewhat different approach to Cambridge... but they will definitely share far, far more than with the US system.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's so cool. Cambridge is a really beautiful city.
It'll be kinda like going to Hogwarts. Have a wonderful time. [Smile]

I didn't go to Oxbridge, and I don't know that much about graduate study in the UK, (the thought of going back to school terrifies me right now - I only just graduated uni! But maybe in a couple of years when I'm sick of working).
However, if there's anything else about the UK you want to know, feel free.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, congrats!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

EG,
I had a good friend who studied at LSE and had a fantastic time. I spent some time studying in London when I was an undergrad...long enough to see a debate at the Oxford Union, and I immediately fell in love and decided I would be back there (or to Cambridge) some day. (The countryside was pretty but I think it just reveals a penchant for good looking, well-dressed, articulate men with accents [Big Grin] .)

jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Keep on posting about what Cambridge is like!
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Kasie,
LSE is great. Well, right now I'm editing an essay on postmodernism in International Relations theory in the library so its not exactly great this minute. But generally great. [Wink]

Sounds like you've made the right choice then - especially if you've been to the campus before and gotten a taste for English academia.

I can't say the "good looking, well-dressed, articulate men with accents" do it for me but there certainly are some nice ladies over here too [Wink]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic. Congrats!!!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations - I'm jealous!

In Cambs, you'll only be a stones-throw from Stansted airport too, so if you fancy a change of scenery in Spain, Mavens All are only a cheapflight away! Let me know and we'll make up the spare room.

Good luck!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

maven,

I would love to visit Spain; I've never been (and with Ryanair flights, I actually could afford it!). And I'm dying to meet the Toddling Tornado [Big Grin] !

Thanks for the generous invitation, I'll most definitely keep you updated.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.