FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gastritis

Author Topic: Gastritis
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
So I've had big issues with my stomach for the past three years, ever since I ended up in the emergency room for nonstop vomiting. From then on, whenever I have really long days, I get sick. It's not stress alone. It's long days as well. It's getting to the point now that I really need to do something about it. I have to work long days, and I don't really have the option to stop anytime too soon.

Has anyone tried B-12 shots? I read that they can help sometimes. All I've been doing lately is when I first realize that I'm getting sick (which this time wasn't until I'd already started vomiting), I take tons of Zantac. But I need a way to avoid them as much as possible, preferably without huge changes to my diet (which I don't think is all that bad in general anyway). Are there any downsides to B-12?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
No idea about the B12, but ginger helps with nausea. A LOT. You could try drinking ginger tea or eating ginger candy.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had the range of gi tests - barium milkshake, endoscopy, etc? Ulcers can cause vomiting, and the H. Pylori can cause irritation long before it causes ulcers. There are wonderful things they can do for you.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the H. Pylori...that hasn't shown up at any time that I've had this problem. I think it's just high stress + long days.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
As for B-12, Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted cereal has 100% of your vitamin B12 in one serving, and it's good. I don't think there are any downsides to B12, I know that it is vital to brain function though and can only be derived naturally from dairy and meat sources (but I find it much more convenient to just get 100% in the cereal)

As for stress nausea, I recommend focusing on breathing and poufing out your stomach, really just relaxing it, a lot of the time when you're tense your abs will tighten up and give you a stomachache. Also, just try to relax, laugh at life otherwise you'll cry about it. I know, easier said than done.

Ginger does help with nausea, I like ginger granola. Other than that maybe eat a bland diet? If nothing else works I say go get a checkup to see if something else is causing this.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
barium milkshake
I love that stuff. Always pineapple flavored, too.

Err, but seriously. Get the full gi testing spectrum if you don't have an alleviation soon.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't have the H. Pylori...that hasn't shown up at any time that I've had this problem. I think it's just high stress + long days.
Did they test via endoscopy or blood test? I was negative on the blood test but positive on the endoscopy biopsy. My life became about a million times better when they finally cured me - I had lived with the same symptoms throughout high school and college. I had three doctors tell me it was stress before one finally did the endoscopy. (To be fair to the doctors, this was when the H. Pylori connection was very new.)
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
There is some confusion about Vitamin B12 and gastritis here.

There is basically only one type of gastritis which is ameliorated by Vitamin B12 injections. That is pernicious anemia, and it is a rare condition in the general population (about 1 in 10,000 people). The age of onset is between 40-70 years of age, with mean onset in people of Caucasian descent at 60 years of age. The diagnosis is via bloodwork.

Eating Vitamin B12-fortified food does not treat pernicious anemia, because it is a condition in which the stomach cells do not make enough "intrinsic factor," which is what is needed to absorb Vitamin B12 from the gut. SO, the problem is that no matter how much Vit B12 you eat, you can't absorb it. That is why it is given by direct injection.

---

There are a lot of potential causes for gastritis, and it's worth taking seriously. However, the list of appropriate questions to ask is somewhat personal and exhaustive, and there should be additional testing done, so I won't comment on your case, pH. However, just to clarify -- are you working with your own medical professional on this at this time?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.