FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jacen Solo (`ware spoilers!) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Jacen Solo (`ware spoilers!)
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it. and it was nice to have some resolution with regard to the alema plot. I am curious about the whole One Sith group. My initial impression was that they (led by an unnamed Darth Krayt) were using jacen as a stalking horse. now, well...they seem less oriented to that kind of scheme, so I'm not sure. while the next book looks pretty good (and the mandos may get more to do than simply serve as traviss' obsession) I am also bothered by the indication that Ben has regressed character wise. By the end of this book he had moved on (similar to the way Han dealt with Chewie's death and AnakinLs role in it at the end of Vector Prime) But, as Tom observed, now Ben has regressed (just like Han in the next NJO books who abandoned his family and responsibilities, blamed Anakin, and became a smuggler, for around 2 or 3 books). I read an interview which stated that they really only go off an outline, as the books are written relatively concurrently. Any changes are synced up by email. In this case, I'm guessing Allston wrote his book with Ben's resolution since it probably wasn't delineated clearly in the outline. Travis, seeing a potential for some Ben growth and soul searching, made that resolution a major part of the next book. Syncing showed a contradiction, so she threw in a (lame) after the fact justification, rather than change the book. I think overall its a weakness of the process (largely designed to churn out books every 6 months).

But overall, I really like this series.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Fury, and I liked it, I really liked it. I pray to everything that is holy that Alema is really dead, as I think it really frees up the plot by us not having to deal with her.

I really like who Jaina turns to for help. I sort of thought she'd find some Force user to be her teacher, but she has the raw Force power she needs, what she needs is Jedi hunter skills. Good development, and a much better way to deal with the exploration of the Mandalorians without making it seem totally extraneous.

As far as what Tom said about Ben, I don't know. He's not exactly one dimensional at the moment. He has the front he puts on for his father, and then there's another Ben that he keeps reserved. I don't think it's hard to believe that he'd say one thing to Luke and really feel something different. His father NEEDED him to say what he said so he'd get over Mara, or at least stop actively grieving over her, but he still wants to kill Jacen because of Mara. I'll have to see what Traviss does with it, but I'm not automatically angry over it.

I'm a little curious about them not dealing with the aftermath of what Tycho did. I was a little surprised to see him do it, especially when he had to know it'd have zero effect on the attack itself, and if it DID work, everyone on the shuttle would probably die. That seems extremely out of character, no matter how dedicated he is to the GA.

Fury was a major uptick in the quality of the series, I really liked it, and I hope the whole series keeps up that level of quality.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what Tycho did kinda bugged me. Complete loyalty to the GA even when its leader is obviously evil. Hello! Tycho used to be a TIE fighter pilot, but he defected! By his reasoning for what he did in "Fury", he should have stuck with the Empire out of a sense of duty.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, and they even reminded us of it. I would have believed it if they said he did it only to throw suspicion off himself, but Allston specifically went into his thought process to say it was his own decision.

I didn't like it at all.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

BUMP!

Book 8: "Revelation" officially comes out this Tuesday, but I managed to find a copy a couple of days ago. I started reading it this morning. I just wanted to mention two things so far (no spoilers). For one, it's over 400 pages which I think is a good thing. Of course, this is a Traviss book, so there's no doubt that there will be about 100 pages of pointless Mandalorian stuff. The Traviss books always suffer a bit due to her "Fettish". Also, with regards to this...

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:

I couldn't help but notice that in the preview of "Revelation" Ben thinks about the fact that Qui-gon Jinn supposedly killed a Sith Lord on Naboo. Was that the author's mistake or did history books in the SW universe just get that wrong for some reason?

It seems that it was a mistake in the preview, as in the actual book it says Kenobi. That's the kind of thing that OSC would put a fan's name in the acknowledgments for pointing out. [Wink]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't take a fan to point THAT out.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I did enjoy the Mandalorian stuff, to an extent. But the series has gone almost totally off the rails for me.

Jacen Solo / Darth Caedus is now almost completely stupid. He draws ridiculous conclusions from just about everything. For example, Captain Shevu, the cop who works with Ben Skywalker to try and prove Jacen killed Mara (murder is not really the right word for it).

Caedus spends a lot of time thinking about how, because Shevu is unafraid of him and his dislike is plain, surely that means he is in essence trustworthy, and believes in Caedus's mission.

He spends basically zero time thinking about his daughter, and she isn't mentioned by anyone in this installment, which is stupid as hell in my opinion. If you want to look at the causes of Caedus's turning (and that seems to me to be a wise idea for his enemies), hey, why not focus on his daughter, the secret he was keeping for so long?

The Mandalorians smacking him around. Just seems kind of silly to me, even though he was really tired when it happened. OK, lightsabers don't work on their magic iron. Well, Caedus and Tahiri are Sith. They're always armed. Zap `em with lightning, pick `em up and throw them into each other, grab their heads with the Force and twist `em like a bottlecap, the options are endless.

It's taken people, what, over a decade to realize, "Hey, maybe Jacen was fundamentally changed/damaged/destroyed by his long-term brutal torture and brainwashing at the hands of the Vong and the Sith." Well hello, newsflash!

Admiral Daala. Why is she a good guy now, or at least presented as one? She's like a technological (instead of biological) Dr. Mengele.

Why did Darth Caedus lose almost all of the political and personal cunning and cleverness in manipulation that Jacen Solo was known for? Jacen Solo: doing evil in the shadows, lying plausibly about it completely undetected, and getting even total enemies to do what he wants without them ever knowing he wants it. Darth Caedus: "I'll go all Moff Tarkin-style diplomacy on your ass."

Jacen Solo started out, for me anyway, as sort of reminescent of Yoshi Toranaga from the novel Shogun by James Clavell, at least in his approach to politics. Totally ruthless, but also quite effective, as well as generally thinking at least one or two steps ahead of both friends and enemies. He was an interesting character, and in fact I wasn't quite sure if I was ready to label him a villain.

Darth Caedus, though. Nowhere near as sharp. Jacen Solo, I imagine, would've guessed almost immediately that the fake fleet at Fondor was a Fallanasi illusion, but not Darth Caedus. Jacen Solo would not treat casually the lingering contempt and dislike of those closest to him. Ugh. He's just a cheesy villain now.

I miss Timothy Zahn! And whoever chump it was who wrote I, Jedi [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the same concentrated evil that makes your eyeballs go yellow has an effect on the brain.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Darth Caedus, though. Nowhere near as sharp. Jacen Solo, I imagine, would've guessed almost immediately that the fake fleet at Fondor was a Fallanasi illusion, but not Darth Caedus. Jacen Solo would not treat casually the lingering contempt and dislike of those closest to him. Ugh. He's just a cheesy villain now.

I miss Timothy Zahn! And whoever chump it was who wrote I, Jedi

Michael A. Stockpole.

Can I just say I love this thread? The ridiculousness of the tangled web that is now the EU bugs me enough not to read any more of the novels and I hate the minor characters. Meanwhile, theforce.net boards are a little crazy and hard to get spoilers from.

Despite what the writers may say, intelligence does NOT run in the Skywalker line.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I gotta say, reading the Fett family soap opera really became a chore for me in "Revelation". Why oh why is Traviss so obsessed with Boba Fett? She (and to a much lesser extent, the other two authors) really force Fett and the Mandalorians into a story that doesn't need them. As usual for a Traviss novel, way too many pages were devoted to the Mandos, but I've ranted on this before.

Unfortunately another major plot in the novel was Ben proving that Jacen killed his mother, which I also didn't find very compelling. For one thing, the audience has known exactly how Mara died since it happened 3 books ago, so it's not like there was any surprise or suspense. Also, the investigation was lame. It took a visit from Force Ghost Mara to tell Ben that he might want to check Jacen's StealthX for some forensic evidence?! Finally, the whole investigation turned out to be completely pointless since in the end Jacen decides to give a detailed confession, because even though he's an almighty Sith Lord who's supposed to be beyond petty concerns, he was upset that a tabloid made him out to be a bad guy! I mean, his own family thinks he's a monster and is trying to take him down, but he gets personally offended when a tabloid questions his morality.

Indeed, as Rakeesh said above, Jacen has become an idiot. I actually think that the change is intentional though. The authors are trying to show us that he's become so drunk on his own power that he thinks he's infallible. Whereas he used to actually think about mundane things like logistics, numbers, and giving proper directions to his troops, he now assumes that the Force just won't let him fail.

I'm sorry to say that I found "Revelation" to be a weak entry in the series. The battle of Fondor was interesting, and I enjoyed the discussions about how Jacen should actually be dealt with (kill him? Try to rehabilitate him?). Some good points were raised at the end. No one tried to redeem Palpatine, but Luke went out of his way to save Vader, and if Jacen was anyone else the jedi would have come down on him with lethal force ages ago and saved countless lives in the process. I'm really looking forward to discovering Jacen's fate in "Invincible". I'm guessing he will live but be stripped of his Force powers.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The battle of Fondor was interesting, and I enjoyed the discussions about how Jacen should actually be dealt with (kill him? Try to rehabilitate him?).
I can't wrap my head around why this is an issue for them. The Jedi are perfectly willing to kill GA troops in these battles. They are perfectly willing to make it possible for Fondor to kill many more GA troops. They all believe that were Jason dead, this war could be ended.

Yet they're unwilling to kill him? No one has presented enough of a reason to make it believable that they actually think that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

And that's the point that the ex-jedi Madalorian guy raised at the end. They're only hesitant to kill him because he's a member of the Skywalker/Solo family.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

If they decided that they could just up and kill Jacen because it would save the galaxy... say, isn't that Jacen's reason for killing Mara?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Except that Jacen is a clear and obvious threat to the galaxy, whereas killing Mara was based on a vague Sith prophecy that suggested Jacen might have to kill someone close to himself to ascend to true Sith Lordship. He didn't even decide that Mara was the one until after the fact.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Dagonee, the thing to remember is that in the Star Wars universe, this kind of inward-looking selfishness is part and parcel of the Jedi Order since before Palpatine came to power.

I mean, they signed on for clone armies, and actually led them in battle, and for what? A battle against nebulously-aligned Seperatists, but their primary motivation was because they felt there was Sith involvement. Once that switch was flipped, so far as we can tell there wasn't much concern about creating millions of slaves and then killing them.

----------

I actually enjoy (some) of the Mandalorian stuff. The part I don't enjoy, though, is that they've got this magic metal that's impervious to just about anything, which only they can manage to work effectively.

Sorry, but even assuming no one else could figure it out (and you can be sure, lots of people would try), some ambitious government could always snatch up a Mandalorian metallurgist and torture the knowledge out of him. Not really hard.

-------
quote:
I actually think that the change is intentional though. The authors are trying to show us that he's become so drunk on his own power that he thinks he's infallible. Whereas he used to actually think about mundane things like logistics, numbers, and giving proper directions to his troops, he now assumes that the Force just won't let him fail.
Well, the problem with this is that he had oodles and oodles of power before, and it certainly didn't make him this stupid. Intentional or not, these changes are very forced.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally Posted by: Rakeesh
I miss Timothy Zahn! And whoever chump it was who wrote I, Jedi

Now you're just taunting kq and I. [Taunt]

I skipped over all the spoilery parts of this, but I'm in the middle of reading it right now. Thus far, I've actually liked the Fett storyline. His family? Yeah I don't care about that. The revolution of Manadalor? That's actually kind of cool.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

quote:
I actually think that the change is intentional though. The authors are trying to show us that he's become so drunk on his own power that he thinks he's infallible. Whereas he used to actually think about mundane things like logistics, numbers, and giving proper directions to his troops, he now assumes that the Force just won't let him fail.
Well, the problem with this is that he had oodles and oodles of power before, and it certainly didn't make him this stupid. Intentional or not, these changes are very forced. [/QB]
Apparently such things take time. There were even references to it throughout the novel. At one point even Jacen reflects on how he used to rely on his conventional senses and judgment more but now he just counts on the Force, and recognizes that it might be something of a weakness. He blamed Lumiya's influence on him. The problem is that he assumes that it's the will of the Force that he's successful. He's just so full of himself that he seldom stops to actually think anymore. He just assumes that he's right and everything will work out.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Now you're just taunting kq and I.
*whistles, twiddles thumbs*

quote:
Apparently such things take time.
That's the thing, he's had lots of power for a long time now. He's effectively been a power above and beyond or at the very least different than the rest of the Jedi since his captivity by Vergere in the Y-V war. He didn't turn stupid with power then, though.

When he was manipulating the Jedi, Killicks, and the Chiss into war (or not), he wasn't stupid then, either.

I could, I suppose, buy that Jacen Solo might become drunk on power. But in this story, it's not explained, it's not a gradual shift, it's like BAM! Drunk on power like a sailor who's hitting the bars.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

That cheap Corellian power can just sneak up on you.

Someone probably put it in the punch and he couldn't tell how strong it was.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

The transfer was intentional: after he killed Mara, he became really evil, before that he was just dark.

Say, I'm reminded once again of where I got my screen name. The short story of C3PO the Dragon Slayer was something I wrote for an English exam right after I read the first in the Legacy series, and in it is a confrontation between Jacen and Luke. Jacen forgets where Coruscant is, and upon Luke's exclamation that he should know where to find the place he grew up (set aside the fact that Coruscant's coordinates are 0,0,0), he explains that when he turned to the dark side he became a bit stupid.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Maybe it's just me, but I think that this song is just about the most perfect theme music for Jacen Solo I could imagine. The video's kinda lame though. Just listen to the song.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The fanboys and girls who named their kids Jacen are lookin' mighty silly now, huh? (I'm not kidding, I know some of them.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
The transfer was intentional: after he killed Mara, he became really evil, before that he was just dark.
Even if we assume that this is when he becomes 'really evil' (remember, he was willing to murder a comrade Jedi before; I don't remember exactly, but he was at LEAST complicit in that girl who had a crush on him's death) it's still pretty silly.

Besides, Palpatine was 'really evil', and far from stupid.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've been rereading the Wraith Squadron books and can't figure out how the guy who wrote them (Aaron Allston) could also have written Fury.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Even if we assume that this is when he becomes 'really evil' (remember, he was willing to murder a comrade Jedi before; I don't remember exactly, but he was at LEAST complicit in that girl who had a crush on him's death) it's still pretty silly.

Besides, Palpatine was 'really evil', and far from stupid.

If I'm not mistaken he impaled Nelani himself. I agree that Jacen was already pretty evil before he killed Mara, but something did change at that moment. Lumiya felt the instant he became a true Sith Lord, and Jacen felt his own powers increase as well. I think that's when he became consumed by his own power and lost his ability to think rationally. As for Palpatine, he didn't anticipate that torturing someone's son to death right in front of him might not be the best way to keep him on your side. So maybe he wasn't such a genius after all.

Seriously though, doesn't that song make you think of Jacen?

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

neo-dragon,

I haven't listened to the song yet.

OK, so now we're going for some sort of tangible evil is what has rendered Jacen/Caedus stupid?

Is that the way things work in the Star Wars universe? True Sith Lords are stupid as a component of their Sithiness? Boy, I sure hope not.

Fortunately, that doesn't really bear out. Palpatine was a 'true Sith Lord' for at least a decade, probably decades, before he ever made that mistake, and in that time he rose up from a Senator of some backwater nowhere to become Emperor, a position which didn't even exist until he created it.

Palpatine was hardly stupid and incapable of rational thought, and anyway, Vader's betrayl of his Sith master was a surprise to everyone, not just Palpatine.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I was joking about Palpatine, but seriously, power can blind a person. You start to think that you're untouchable, you lose sight of reality, and suddenly you're not making the best decisions. Jacen Solo does not handle power well. They began to establish that fact since the NJO when for a time he was too afraid to even use the Force at all because he was so worried that he wouldn't use it in the right way. Turns out he was right to worry.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Of course power can corrupt. I'm just saying, in the Legacy series it's as though a switch has been flipped. The transition is simply stupid.

Jacen did handle power well, very well in fact given his circumstances, up until the point when it was decided he would be the dagnasty-evil Sith Lord Caedus.

He didn't think he was untouchable until, all of a sudden, they started him thinking, "Hey, I'm untouchable." It was too clumsy, too forced (no pun intended).

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

He wasn't exactly handling his power well when he fried Tenel Ka's grandmother's brain or altered Ben's memories during the Dark Nest trilogy. For as long as Jacen has had powers that go above and beyond those of an ordinary jedi he's been using them badly.

I think that the authors have actually done a pretty good job of showing how Jacen got to where he is. Okay, maybe they're laying it on a bit thick since he became "Darth Caedus", but all things considered he has much more reason to be messed up than his grandfather did. His doubts about the proper way to use the Force in the beginning of the NJO, Vergere's insistence that there is no Dark Side, which came while he was under extreme physical and emotional distress, the touch of god-like power that he experienced when he defeated Onimi, and 5 years of accumulating Force powers that he clearly wasn't ready for.

That's why I predict that the series will end with him losing his Force powers. It's the best way to punish him and render him harmless without killing him, and he's proven that he simply doesn't deserve them. It was done to Ulic Qel-Droma, an ancient Sith Lord, so they've already established that it's possible.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Huh, that'd be an interesting ending. Nomi Sunrider did it to Ulic, and Vergere actually did it to Jacen already at one point back in the NJO series. But I wonder which Jedi would figure it out? Ben? Luke? Jaina? Maybe Leia? Either way, I think that might just be a satisfying end to Jacen's reign, and might actually allow them to deal with him without just lopping off his head.

I'm about halfway through Revelation at this point, and I'm surprised to find myself caring about the Mandalorians, and not surprised that I don't much care about Jacen.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Neo-dragon,

I think you're confusing 'handling well' with 'good'. This is far from what I'm talking about. I'm talking about 'handling well' in the sense that he wasn't using them stupidly. To my knowledge, Jacen was never caught re: frying the old lady's brain. His brain wiping of Ben was never detected either, though it's probably become clear by now, since he's been acting all stupid.

Prior to Legacy, and even in earlier Legacy, Jacen was handling his power quite capably, i.e. he wasn't doing stupid stuff with it. I'm speaking strictly from a pragmatic perspective here.

No, the truth is they haven't handled Jacen's transition well at all. It's been very sloppy and implausible; unless I'm mistaken, you're basically the only person who thinks his transition has been nicely done around these parts, anyway.

Now the transition has been handled well if they were starting from the pre-determined idea that Jacen will go stupid-mad with power, and are setting up for the Force-removal ending. But my point is, that's not the way stories should work. Not good stories, anyway.

I think I'm also frustrated because, for me at least, there were some very interesting issues explored specifically in the book Traitor where Jacen's descent really got started. Those examinations have largely been shunted aside now.

If anyone does wipe Jacen, I predict it will be Ben. Jacen has done it to him, after all. Though of course somehow it was incomplete, basically just to set that fight up.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Other complaints: the tangible motivator for Jacen's descent to Sith, his daughter? Entirely absent from this book.

Also entirely absent: all the other Sith we've seen.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I don't think that the other Sith are going to be seen anymore. They were only introduced because the Legacy comic series set about 90 years in the future established that Darth Krayt's Sith Order has been in the shadows since the Yuuzhan Vong war. If we didn't get a glimpse of them in the novels people would see it as a continuity error. However, this isn't their story, and they have no reason to come out of hiding yet. In fact, having anyone know about them now would create a contradiction. They're just sitting back and enjoying the show.

As for Allana, I think Jacen's written her off as just one more person who will never understand his greatness; just like his parents, his sister, Tenel Ka, and all the other jedi. In other words, she's now insignificant to him. He's lost sight of why he started all of this in the first place.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I'll have to look at it again, but last I read Jacen did not view his relationship with Allana so childishly. It still hurt him a great deal, and he didn't do it for greatness.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The reason Allana only got a cursory nod in Revelation, and Jacen did mention her once or twice, but it was less in a substantive way and more like Karen Traviss going "Mention the parents? Check! Mention the daughter? Check check! Thank goodness, now I can write about the superfascinating Mandalorian farming techniques and their super cool beskar hoes!"

Don't get me wrong, I actually am finding the Mandalorians rather interesting, and I think Beviin is turning out to be on of my favorites of the more recently introduced characters. But I think the Mandalorian stuff would have been better placed in a separate novel, not as a part of the continuing arc that when Traviss writes seems to have less and less to do with the actual arc itself.

Jacen is believable NOW as an utter fool drunk with power but still formidable becuase of that power. But the descent? Very poorly handled. When you look at how cool, calculating and sly he was before this, the descent was sloppy. Other characters have been handled much better, but so what? He's the main character in this little drama, and if he isn't handled well, not much else matters.

Also, I think the Luke/Ben relationship was just plain awkward during the very small amount of time they spent bonding. Considering where they started off at the beginning of the Legacy series, and where they were until quite recently, I think their current status is just weird. I know Mara's death must've hurt them both and driven them together, but Luke being all mushy? I don't see it. Ben's side I buy, but they haven't shown enough of Luke's internal emotional wrangling for me to believe he'd react like that.

I hope the next book covers Han, Leia and Tenal Ka more, and for that matter the Jedi in general. I know it's hard to touch on all the different factions now that there are so many, but this book really only jumped between Jaina and Jacen, with a couple nods to Niathal, Pallaeon and Ben.

Oh, and on a finale note (spoiler):
Pallaeon [Frown] He was one of my favorites, even if he was technically a "bad guy" in the beginning. He was my favorite kind of bad guy, but really by the end I don't think he was at all. I liked him from the very beginning, all the way back to the Thrawn Trilogy, and I've liked him ever since.

I hope Tahiri burns for that.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Don't get me started on Tahiri. She still acts like a love-sick teenager who needs Jacen to do her thinking for her. I literally had to keep reminding myself that she's like 30 now, which makes it quite pathetic how easily she's manipulated into abandoning her former ideals.

In response to spoiler in previous post:
Yeah, Pellaeon was a real class-act. It's a shame that he had to go out like that. He deserved a more heroic death.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I got my copy of "Invincible" yesterday. I'm a couple of chapters into it. I'm disappointed by the length though. It's only 299 pages!
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, where did you get a copy this early? It's released on the 13th, right?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Actually, I'm annoyed that I didn't get it earlier! I only recently learned that a certain Canadian retailer has been selling them since the start of May. I could have had it a week ago!

But yes, the official release date is the 13th.

Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
What a happy surprise. I did not realize another book was coming out this soon.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Isn't this the last book?

Edit to add: Amazon says it's 320 pages. Given the description, it sounds like the finale of the LOTF series.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Yes, it's book 9, the finale. And I think amazon counts every single page, including the blank one at the beginning, the title page, dedication, about the author, the ad at the end, etc. Trust me, the final numbered page is 299.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
So do tell what happens when you think it's appropriate.

(I gave up on actually reading a couple of years ago- the subplots with the people I don't care about but are related to the story make it hard for me to get through).

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I will mention one minor (non-spoiler) quirk that I find interesting. Each chapter begins with a joke told by Jacen in his innocent early teen years. It draws quite a contrast between who is now and who he used to be.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, more accurately, who he used to be written as and who is he written as now.

I find that when I word it that way, it makes what the people at Del Rey did to him more obviously contemptible.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

It's never bothered me much... maybe because I found Jacen to be about as interesting as a piece of cardboard before he went dark.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Well... I'm done. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending though. I need to let it sink in.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Hey, there's a 'ware spoilers tab here: Post 'em up!

Were all the jokes from YJK?

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the books in a long time, but I was a fan of Jacen from the NJO. Which explains why I'm, er, somewhat dismayed at hearing that Jaina dismembers and kills him.

Seriously.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You can't kill a fallen Jedi without first dismembering him. It's part of the code.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.