FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College induced stress (Updated with itinerary)

Author Topic: College induced stress (Updated with itinerary)
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to shout at the top of my lungs and tell all the colleges to go away.

For the past several weeks, I've been overwhelmed by a torrent of letters from colleges, acknowledging that I'm "just what they're looking for!"

But I don't even know what I'd like to study, let alone which college I plan to attend. Last time I checked, there's a strong correlation between the two, so how am I supposed to pick the right college? It seems as if everything I'd like to do happens to be the most competitive field of work. Art, for example, is something I could most defiantely see myself doing, but it's so darn populated with highly talented and highly experienced artists other than myself. None other than the best of the best get jobs, or so that's how I see it.

Fortunately, this spring break, my father and I are driving up the California coast (I live in San Deigo). I'd like to attend a college that has a moderately cool climate, preferably near a forest region (i.e. northern CA or Oregon). I've heard good things about Humboldt, but then again, I've never been there, so this trip should help.

How long was it before you guys decided on a major, and what did you end up doing after you graduated? Also, how did you decide on a college?

[ February 25, 2007, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: JumboWumbo ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided on a major by figuring out which department had the best professors. I thought about English, political science, sociology, communications, and psychology before sticking with philsophy and economics. Because my intention was always to eventually go to law school, I decided that I would pick the majors that I would find the most enjoyable. I figured the most enjoyable majors would be the ones with the most inspiring professors. I declared philosophy right after I took my first philosophy class. I declared economics at the start of my junior year. So far, it's worked out quite well for me.

I'm graduating this spring, and I'm taking a year off before I go to law school. As of right now, I'll be getting a public policy job in either San Jose or Sacramento. (I love NorCal too.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided more of what kind of atmosphere I wanted (liberal arts) and what size (not too big not too small) as well as general location (not too far south or too far west, though I ended up much farther west than I expected) before I really thought about major at all. I knew I wanted a good history department (though I've decided against a history major, for now) and a decent music program (but not a conservatory for the same reason you aren't sure you want to be an artist - too competitive) and I wanted to be challenged academically. This led me to collegeboard.com, and it spit out (depending on how specific I was in my search) a few to several hundred schools that were "right for me."

In all honesty, the way I ultimately picked the school I currently attend is that I went to their website after I found the school on collegeboard, and looked around. There were pictures of people playing the bagpipes and a strong international focus, both of which I thought were great, so I decided to visit. (This was a big decision as it meant flying out to Minnesota from the east coast.) When I got here I just knew. The people I met were all interesting and friendly and intelligent, the campus was (is) beautiful, and it's in a great location right between the twin cities. So I guess I got lucky in that I knew right away that I wanted to go here. I did apply to about six other schools in case I didn't get in, but I picked this one based on "gut feeling" I suppose.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I would recommend is not doing what I did and just going with the school that offers you the best deal (in terms of scholarships and such). It can limit your options later on, particularly if you decide to change majors.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
so I decided to visit. (This was a big decision as it meant flying out to Minnesota from the east coast.) When I got here I just knew. The people I met were all interesting and friendly and intelligent, the campus was (is) beautiful, and it's in a great location right between the twin cities.

I'm hoping that, with my trip, I 'll be able to get a feel for the campus, as you did. Actually walking through the campus doesn't compare to the virtual tours they have online.

Thanks!

And my parents have offered to pay my entire tuition, so I don't predict any problems like that.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone!

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are, by any chance, coming up to Santa Clara, let me know. I'll be happy to give you a tour. I could even arrange for you to sit in on some of the art classes if you'd like.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided what my major was when I was twelve years old. And, quite frankly, I went to the wrong college for it: studying Computer Science at the University of Miami was a bad, bad, bad idea.

Carnegie Mellon put me on a waiting list, those bastards. But I'm not bitter...

I've realized that, for those that don't know what to study and what college to go to, it's easier to decide what you're NOT going to study and then look at colleges that don't excel in that either. For example, if I was NOT going to study computer science, UofM is not a bad choice; they excel at pretty much everything else in one way or another.

But, then again, this advice is coming from someone who has yet to actually graduate, so perhaps I'm not a good role model.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the University I thought I most wanted to attend, and studied the subject I thought I most wanted to study.

And I really didn't enjoy most of it.

Sometimes, you can over-plan your existence - where you'll be, what you'll do, and in so doing you can build up unreasonable expectations about how happy it will make you. I now believe that you just have to take a chance, think outside the box, and remember that college is only three or four years of your life. If I had it over again, I'd worry less.

Do something you think you might like in a place you appreciate. Don't worry about coming first in your class, just try your best to be happy and get the most out of the college experience. Remember that if it all goes wrong you can change your direction. Do not stress - believe me (I'm an expert), it's never worth it.

Good luck.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 18, someone set a questionnaire in front of me, I think as part of the SATs. One of the questions was about my major, which I hadn't thought about up until that point.

Everything looked boring except for "Film". I'd been making movies with my friends for ages, and it sounded like the ideal sort of creative career that I would love. So I checked the box, and there was my decision.

Once I got to college, though my major remained film, if you looked at my time usage, you would have guessed that I had majored in video games [Smile] But that's all right. Ten years later, I'm now working as a video game designer. My film background informs a lot of what I do with cameras, cutscenes, and visual storytelling, but I don't think I'll ever actually go into film as a full-time career. I like that I don't have to spend half my time pitching and job hunting, and that my salary is stable. That and the fact that I'm involved in an art that is still in its infancy, where I might potentially make a more important difference than I could in a more mature industry like film.

Anyway, there's my story. I ended up pretty close to my major, but not dead-on.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My almost-step-sister took a long time in community college trying everything out and deciding what she wanted to major in. After three years, she decided on Fine Arts, ceramics. Based on all the work she'd done in community college, she was able to get into NAU's ceramics program, which is a very good one, from what I hear. She was able to transfer about two years' worth of credits, maybe a little more. She did one year and then started thinking about the practicalities of her major; she was going to graduate in art, but what would she do with it? She decided that she really wanted to teach art. High school art. High school ceramics, to be exact. So she finished her BFA, emphasis Ceramics, and during her last semester applied to the "fast track" education certification program. Right now she is taking classes part-time and working at a preschool part-time (she has to have a certain number of hours in ECE experience, which she didn't get because she didn't major in education, so she gets them through a work-study program.) She's going for her goal and she's very happy. And her Senior Show was really awesome. [Smile]

So I guess what I'm saying is this: you don't have to decide right away. Go somewhere that you like and that you think fits your GENERAL interests, and you can later apply for special programs if you want to once you figure out what you want to do, but don't be afraid to explore your first year or two, while you get your general requirements out of the way, and don't be afraid of a major that doesn't seem "useful."

My husband did kind of the same thing; he kept trying and trying to work toward a degree in science, when he really isn't suited to thinking that way. It's just not in his nature, but he loved working with animals so he wanted to be a vet. But along the way he took some elective classes in Accounting and discovered that he LOVES it. Right now he's finishing his degree in Accounting (through an online program, actually, since he works full-time to support his wife and two daughters.) It's not his "dream job since he was 7" (since it's neither being a vet nor a major-league ball player [Wink] ), but it's something he enjoys, that he can see himself doing as a career for the rest of his working years, that's suited to his interests, learning style, and temperament, and that will allow him to support his family in his chosen field. Second best doesn't have to mean not good.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
Ten years later, I'm now working as a video game designer.

Not to stray off topic here, but am I at liberty to ask where you work? I know a few people in the industry, an am curious if we've potentially crossed paths before.

Also, for the record, I've never met a high-end computer programmer with a computer science degree. The upper echelon game developers I've met have been musicians, patent lawyers, psychologists, etc... not a one with a compu-sci degree.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided on *where* before *what*. It worked out -- my school was big enough to have a decent variety of majors, as most do. (I wouldn't do that for grad school, though!)
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean! I keep getting swamped with letters, where they usually assume I'm a senior (I'm a junior). It's obvious that it's just a form letter, and it's really annoying!

I'm going into a music major, so my teacher pretty much was my source of information about what college to attend... He's someone I really admire, and so, while I'm keeping an open mind and visiting multiple colleges, I'm pretty much trusting his college choice for my BA... Although CCM is looking really good for my masters and Doctorate (I may not be able to spell it, but I want one!)

My criteria is pretty much just the faculty (Again, it's a music major, so the faculty probably more of an issue for me than for someone going into, say, paleontology). Most colleges have handy little websites, with links to the faculty. A lot of professors give concerts or lectures around the country, so you may be able to catch one sometime, to get an idea.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure you'd want to explore the campus, sit in on some classes, etc.

I wouldn't sweat it, though. The average college student changes majors twice during the college year (Or so I've heard). So if climate is a big factor for you, go ahead and go to town with it. Most people have to take remedial classes at first, and that will give you time to pick a major.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Celaeno- I'll have to add SC to my itinerary. I'll work out the logistics sometime before break.

A Rat Named Dog- This is exactly the field I was looking into; conceptual design for either video-games or movies. Any tips for success in this particular business?

Bella and KQ: your stories seem to have a similar underlying theme: don't stress. I plan not to (though usually those aren't the types of things you plan for), and I hope I can relax and just take as many interesting classes as possible

Thanks guys, this is helping far more than you might think.

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most people have to take remedial classes at first, and that will give you time to pick a major.
Where did you get this from? I'm not saying its not true, but just that its something I've never heard before. And anecdotally would say is probably false.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that it depends on the school. At an Ivy, UC, etc. it is certainly not true. At Bob's Community College it probably is. [Wink]

It probably also depends on one's definition of remedial classes.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jumbo -
I actually grew up in Humboldt County, and both of my parents attended Humboldt State, so if you have any questions about the campus (non up-to-date stuff, other than how it looks) or community, feel free to send them my way. I'm really busy for the next week, so you'll probably get immediate answers best by emailing me (in profile).

To answer the question at the end of your initial post, I declared both of my majors (econ & philosophy like Celeano) my first semester. But I had a bit of a different situation, in that I had tried out pscyh, sociology, physics, etc classes at a local community college while in high school. Plus, I always came out of used bookstores with book on philosophy and economics -- it just was a really obvious choice. I'm going on to get a ph.d in economics, to answer the second part of your question.

However, I don't think this is how it is for most students, although they tend to come in with a general idea of either pro science or pro humanities/social sciences. I also don't think it's required, or even, in some cases, a good idea to come to college with a firm idea of what you would like to study.

I made my decision for where to attend in a similar manner to Dragon. Basically, I decided that the UC system wasn't for me (too big), and that I wanted to try living in a different part of the country for four years (and now I'm anxious to get back to Cal). So I applied to liberal arts colleges around the country, and ended up going to the one that offered the biggest financial aid package (which was very important for my situation). Luckily for me, I ended up at a university with *excellent* faculty, who are very devoted to helping a student succeed. The thing I love most about my university is that I can stop into at least 6 different faculty members' offices at any time, and just chat about my academic goals, my classes, or just life.

So: don't consider the strength of a particular department, 'cause most people end up changing majors. Instead, consider the things that will affect your life the most while at college: the social structure of the university (greek vs. non-greek, big vs. small, campus "feel"), the type of academics (small classes, large lectures, chances for faculty interaction, special honors programs), and the opportunities to get involved with particular activities on or through the campus (study abroad, internships, research under faculty, particular clubs/activities/other extracurriculars). Decide which of these things are most important to you.

And, when you visit, ask students to comment on the one thing that they feel is the university's strengths. And to sum up the social and other experiences in a sentence or two.

Feel free to email me about Humboldt County and Arcata!

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
excuse me for being a lazy bum, but i jumped ahead to post after reading that thing about art.

buy a stool, an easel, and some thick paper.

go the mall and start either airbrushing pictures, doing funky portraits, doing realistic portraits, or doing airbrush designs on shirts.

you dont have to work in a big company to make money.

15 bucks a shirt, 10 bucks a portrait, finish it in 10-15 minutes thats about 20+ an hour.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked the school that gave me the most money that also had 4 years of Japanese, since I knew I wanted to major in East Asian Studies. I took a bunch of cool classes, loved English (which I HATED in high school), and declared that as my second major.

Everything worked out just fine. I'm sure it would've worked out just as fine at any other college. So really, what everyone else is saying is right. Just relax. [Cool]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate English right now. With a Passion, fueled from the depths of my soul.

notice the capitalization.

Right now I am dealing with crappy counseling offices, who don't send out my transcripts, so that I would have been accepted 8 weeks ago, but had to get my own copy and mail it myself yesterday.

Godddaammmiit.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked the well-respected in-state school which offered a huge variety of majors, all at a relatively affordable price. I started out as a Math major, but when I got to the point where my options were "Advanced Calculus" or "Intro to Topology," I got the heck out of dodge and went to Classics.

I haven't looked back since. I switched in my junior year, officially; I had never actually declared a formal Math major. I was lucky enough that my credits fell in the right places, so I didn't have to stay for extra semesters.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The visits helped me a lot. I stayed at or nearby each school for at least a night. I think getting a feel for the size of the school will be really good if you have a size preference. I ended up going to the smallest school, and it was great for me. I went in with a major in music business (now called "music industry studies") and changed at the very end of my junior year to marketing with emphasis in music industry studies, which was pretty much a double major, minus a couple recording classes. And now I'm getting my MBA and doing an assistantship helping out small businesses, specializing in those in the music industry.

I'd say not stressing is good...I stressed up until the very last minute over every single detail, and I ended up going to the school I'd picked first anyway. But yeah, decide what size school and classes you'd like. As Jhai said, I love being able to wander around and talk to professors and have them actually know and give a crap about me. That was a big deal for me. I went to USF for a semester during high school, and even when the professor did care, the school was just far too huge. And also, really get a feel for the city. Personally, I think it'd be a waste to drag through a degree in a city I didn't like.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
Right now I am dealing with crappy counseling offices, who don't send out my transcripts, so that I would have been accepted 8 weeks ago, but had to get my own copy and mail it myself yesterday.

That sucks. The copy you mailed off was given to you (and remained in) a sealed envelope, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the school that:

A. Was cheapest
B. My boyfriend was going to
C. Specialized in the areas I was least interested in

I don't recommend my choosing process.

I'm a political science major, planning to go on and get my graduate degree in Public Policy or Public Affairs. I'm going to an entirely engineering school.

My advice is to remember that you're not just going to be studying at the school you go to, you're going to be living there. Choose a school with other students that you can see yourself becoming friends with. If you're a geek, choose a school with other geeks, and make sure they are geeks in the areas you enjoy. Don't take it for granted that there will be someone on the campus you'll get along with. Colleges specialize in certain kinds of students, if the college doesn't specialize in a student like you, don't go.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Hm. While I think that's decent advice, I'd also suggest looking deeper. If the school is big enough, there are all kinds of students. I went to a very preppy, Greek-heavy southern school. My first couple of weeks were rough, but then I found other students like me, and it wasn't that hard. I'm really glad I didn't let my first impression keep me from going there. I was really worried about the "Buffy-and-Skippy-wheah's-my-oystah" atmosphere.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

I have yet to decide which schools I'm going to visit during my spring break trip, so does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be going as far as southern Washington.

So far, I'll be visiting Santa Clara and Humboldt.

Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
quote:
Most people have to take remedial classes at first, and that will give you time to pick a major.
Where did you get this from? I'm not saying its not true, but just that its something I've never heard before. And anecdotally would say is probably false.
I heard it from the peppy college-neutral counseler that spoke to those of us who went to a Governor's program. Everything she said was said to kids who were planning to major in the performing arts. She's also the one who told us about people changing majors. So, maybe others who were majoring in, say, oceanography may find themselves skipping remedial classes.

I know my mom, when she went back to college last year, started with remedial night classes, and has not yet picked her major to date. She's not a full-time student though, except in the summer.

But that's where I got my stuff from.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
Jumbo - I'm not going to visit colleges until they've accepted me (meaning mid next year). Presumably you're also a junior - can you explain the reasoning behind visiting zillions (or tens) of colleges before you even know whether they'll accept you?

Edited to add: Don't stress. It's better to save the stress for the days in which you'll find yourself sitting in front of the mailbox with your parents, waiting for (hopefully) acceptance letters from the colleges you'll have applied to.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Nathan--how is your mom a teacher at the local high school and simultaneously an undergrad taking remedial courses at night? [Confused]
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

quote:
Originally posted by crescentsss:
Jumbo - I'm not going to visit colleges until they've accepted me (meaning mid next year). Presumably you're also a junior - can you explain the reasoning behind visiting zillions (or tens) of colleges before you even know whether they'll accept you?

Applying to schools costs money. I'd like to apply to as few as possible, and know that I wouldn't mind attending any of them. For instance, if I were to be accpeted by, say Humboldt, I woudn't want to check it out afterword and think to myself, "huh, I guess I just wasted all that money on an application."

Why wouldn't you like to know what the school your applying to is all about?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Jumbo, it likely will cost more money to visit the school than it would to apply, not on all but in a lot of cases. Travel, food, whatever.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Right. Application fees are still mostly in the $50-$100 range, aren't they?
Jhai
Member # 5633

For undergrad. Graduate school application fees run around $75 to $105. *shakes fist at Stanford*

Jumbo, there's a ton of colleges and universities on the way between San Diego and south Washington. Perhaps if you gave us a bit more information (private vs. state, big or small, urban vs. rural), that would help us suggest particular places to visit.

Or perhaps you should try to visit different types of schools, so you can figure out which you prefer before applying.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

I'd like to look at states (I'm not exactly UC calibur) that are of mediudum to smaller size. I'm thinking, as of right now, I'm going to declare English, but I'd also like the school to have a strong arts program, in case that really is what I choose to do.

As I've mentioned, I'd like to visit schools that fall between San Fransisco and southern Washington. My parents and I were talking about it over dinner, and we were wondering what Oregon schools there were. Does (has) anyone here attend(ed) any Oregon schools?

And I don't think our travels should be too costly(as long as we get good milage), we're staying with friends and family all along the way.

JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

Edit: Okay, so I've been researching California colleges for the past week, and I've decided on five definates. I think I'd like to study graphic design, seeing as art and computers are my two most prominent interests, but that's only my gut talking. Here are the schools I'm thinking we're going to tour:

(In order of preference)
CA Poly State Univ San Luis Obispo
CSU Long Beach
CSU Chico
CA State Poly Univ Pomona
Sonoma State Univ

They all have a gaphic Design program except for Sonoma. If anyone has been to, attended, or lives nearby any of these schools, let me know.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JumboWumbo:
quote:
Originally posted by crescentsss:

Applying to schools costs money. I'd like to apply to as few as possible, and know that I wouldn't mind attending any of them. For instance, if I were to be accpeted by, say Humboldt, I woudn't want to check it out afterword and think to myself, "huh, I guess I just wasted all that money on an application."

Why wouldn't you like to know what the school your applying to is all about?

For me, visiting schools before applying had nothing to do with money, but about finding out what kinds of atmospheres I liked. It turned out that I hated all but two of the schools I visited, so when I went to fill out applications I was starting almost from scratch. If I hadn't visited first, I never would have broadened my search, and I wouldn't have ended up where I am. I probably would be just as happy (I adapt fairly easily), but I really feel like I'm in the right place right now. Visiting tons of schools isn't for everyone, but I'm really glad I did it. One way to do it is to just visit a school or two whenever you take a trip somewhere, for vacation, to visit relatives, whatever. Even if they aren't schools you're particularly interested in, you can get an idea about just how big an x-thousand student school is, etc. And you may be surprised at what you like.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by JumboWumbo:
Edit: Okay, so I've been researching California colleges for the past week, and I've decided on five definates. I think I'd like to study graphic design, seeing as art and computers are my two most prominent interests, but that's only my gut talking. Here are the schools I'm thinking we're going to tour:

(In order of preference)
CA Poly State Univ San Luis Obispo
CSU Long Beach
CSU Chico
CA State Poly Univ Pomona
Sonoma State Univ

They all have a gaphic Design program except for Sonoma. If anyone has been to, attended, or lives nearby any of these schools, let me know.

Any reason you're only looking at state schools? Have you considered small private schools like Woodbury?
Jhai
Member # 5633

Just an FYI, back in the old days when I was a high school senior/junior (~4 years ago), Cal Poly was considered nearly as good, if not better, than the weaker UCs (Riverside & Irvine), particularly, of course, if you wanted to study engineering.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
my backstory for what it's worth:

in HS I enjoyed math and science in general, and had always had an interest in astronomy/physics so I was planning either astrophysics or aerospace engineering. After taking some seminar type classes in HS I decided that the engineering route was more appealing because I liked the concept of being able to actually make something and know it worked, and contribute to developing industry (i.e. astrophysics seemed too ethereal for me) which somewhat limited my scope of schools I looked at.

Also, being from the far western suburbs of chicago and a HS with a graduating class of ~100 I was planning on a medium school away from big cities that was about 3-5 hrs from home (close enough to not be a HUGE pain to go home, but far enough that my family couldn't pester me too much for not coming home for 3-day weekends and the like).

So I started looking at schools in that range that had good engineering programs and offered other interests I liked (looking at lists of clubs and whatnot) finally narrowed it down to UofI, Purdue and ND... did a long weekend/week of visiting these three and found that I didn't really like the feel of the UofI campus, loathed everything about ND and felt rediculously at home at Purdue (which also had the best aerospace program, so I could plug that to my parents, they also really pushed their co-op program which seemed like a good thing).

Really for me though it came down to distance, and feel. To this day I'm just very at home at purdue, and was from my first visit.

As for major, being in engineering I was somewhat pidgeon-holed from the start. I somewhat considered switching to creative writing and/or philosophy since those were also interests and I liked the classes I took, but didn't see much in the way of career options for either (and didn't know if I could stomach them if I switched from hobby to career). The important thing in my mind was that I made sure I took interesting classes for my electives. While it certainly would have been easier to take a bunch of 100-level poly-sci courses for Gen-Eds, I actually learned a lot and enjoyed my 300-400-level philosophy, english, history and computer graphics courses...

hindsight: while I somewhat wish that I had been less pidgeon-holed into engineering right from the start, it was somewhat relaxing not to have to freak out about whether or not to change majors, and I now have a stable, well-paying job that I'm at least mildly interested in.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
CA Poly State Univ San Luis Obispo sounds like a good fit for you, or Humbolt or Santa Cruz. All three are gorgeous in a hippy way.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Any reason you're only looking at state schools? Have you considered small private schools like Woodbury? [/QB]

Aside from out of state fees....no. I have looked at a few local private campuses, but they tend to be on the pricy side. Woodbury does seemed geared towards my interests, and, seeing as I'm headed that way, I may stop for a quick peek.

Irami- I have definately considered humboldt, but upon further research, it seems to focus on enrionmental majors. As much as I love admiring nature, it's not something I'd like to do for a living.

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I did have to keep it sealed. I also got a response 9 days after I mailed it in. Joy. So now I am going to OSU.

I chose that particular school because I am going heavy into engineering and they have an excellent program for what I wish to study. And by excellent, I mean they have one.

It is nice entering into a fledgling field but difficult to find a good school.

Also, I have heard Cal Poly is excellent for the computer science types. A friend is attending there now and apparently is enjoying it very much.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
What is that you want to study?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
What is that you want to study?

Graphic design. I've been involved with art all my life, and I feel it's a natural choice. If I can refine my skills, I'd ultimately like to work as a concept artist for Cinema/Videogame companies, but that field is far more competetive than Graphic design.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not recommend my method for picking a college.

Step 1: Get sick of the whole application process and just go to the nearest big school that gave you a full scholarship (free college, baby!)

Step 2: Hate Big State School (filled with preppy momma's boys and princesses), drop out.

Step 3: Go to hometown college while working and deciding what it is you actually want out of college (which, by the way, you should've done two years ago).

Step 4: Pick a tiny college 2400 miles away from home and go there. It's a good education and out of state tuition is a bargain, but it's desolate. And boring.

Step 5: Grit your teeth until graduation.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
just a note to add: I think that unless you go to a very very small school and/or are limited by a very exclusive/rare program of study that most people can make a great college experience out of wherever they go.

I had a handful of very good professors, a handful that I loathe, and a majority who were ok. I was involved in some clubs and liked some people at school, loved some, hated some. I love some aspects of Purdue in general and hate others (like our math dept, and the fishy smell in certain areas of town). There are going to be greeks that you like and dislike there will be independants that you like and dislike, etc etc... they key in my mind is to meet people. meet people of all types, some you will become lifelong friends with, and others will teach you who you can and can't tolerate and who you will have to deal with for the rest of your life... basically make the best out of wherever you go [Smile]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.