FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormons and Alcohol in Cooking (Cioppino recipe finally posted) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mormons and Alcohol in Cooking (Cioppino recipe finally posted)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it's just the wurst. [Razz]

I didn't say it was authoritative. I said it was done around here. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Except, of course, the wurst at the local German butcher shop, which is next to the German bakery, both owned by a real live German. The brats at the deli there are grilled, not beered. And served with a lump of bread and some kraut. And heavenly.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that CT was making a pun, but I just have to put in a pitch for Top Dog. The Bay Area is by no means a sausage mecca (and what is up with all the sausages with mango and the like in them? That's one part of California cuisine, I don't get -- mixing meat and fruit [I will sometimes make an exception for apples]), but Top Dog is awesome. The calabrese is to die for.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, I've met Saints from Japan who drink green tea.
Then they're willfully flouting, because green tea (nihoncha, matcha etc.) is specifically prohibited by the church.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And hi, Zal! I checkd out the new motley vision... spiffy!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I know, Annie, but some of them came to America and were told by American Saints that green tea is okay, so that's what they think.

I've always understood it to mean any product of the tea plant.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(There was a Mormon family on Take Home Chef the other day and whatever his name is, the cook dude, made green tea ice cream for dessert. The woman thought that was fine. Didn't know any better, obviously. Made me want to write a clarifying e-mail to him about the Word of Wisdom, but I haven't got to it.)
Annie
Member # 295

You've always understood correctly.

Funny story:
Lunch with Sachiko at a restaurant with us and the elders. Sachiko asks, "Oolong tea? Is oolong ok for you to drink?"

Me: "Nope, sorry. Not Oolong either."

Sachiko: "Maybe I'll call and ask permission from President Hinckley. 'Just for one day,is coffee and tea OK?' It's delicious, you know."

Me: "How about asking God?"

Sachiko: nods with a wry smile

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Annie. It will soon be spiffier. [Smile]
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
quote:
Of course, I've met Saints from Japan who drink green tea.
Then they're willfully flouting, because green tea (nihoncha, matcha etc.) is specifically prohibited by the church.
Curious. In the german missionary discussion it was always clearly stated that "black tea" was prohibited but no mention was made of "green tea". A friend of mine who served in Korea said that tea was never a problem there because the green tea commonly consummed in Korea was not forbidden by the Word of Wisdom. I think this is another case of a gray area and not an example of willful flouting.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Maybe the definition has become more clear-cut in recent years. General authorities in Japan have specified that anything made of the tea leaf is tea.

Green tea is tea - it's naturally caffeinated. The only difference between green tea and black tea is that the black tea has been fermented.

I'm guessing any ambiguities in the past came from the fact that American church officials weren't aware of the huge variations on "tea" that existed in the orient.

There are many "teas" in Japan, however, that members drink: mugi cha (made of barley), ten cha (Yamamoto sweet tea), juuroku cha, ruibos ti (some South African something - tasty!)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
(some South African something - tasty!)
Is that bush tea? My mom loves bush tea, you can get it in the U.S. This stuff.
Annie
Member # 295

Yeah! That's it! Oishii yo.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can buy it at most grocery stores around here. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard that called bush tea. Just red tea or rooibos (which I had no idea meant anything other than "red") tea. Either way it's lovely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I had never heard of it, period, until my mom started reading the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency novels and passing them on to me. [Big Grin]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to posting my Cioppino recipe.

It's not a quick or easy meal, but it's delicious - it got rave reviews from all 6 of us at the dinner.

This is based on three different recipes from the Food Network site plus quite a bit of my own ad-libbing. Fortunately I took careful notes. The recipe begs for improvisation during cooking.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.