FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity 2-disc Special Edition details

Author Topic: Serenity 2-disc Special Edition details
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just announced at Whedonesque, a 2-disc version will be coming out August 21 with the extras from the Australian version, the Tam Sessions, as much cast commentary as can make it, and new cover art.

Check out the Jossly comments here.

[ May 15, 2007, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm such a sucker, but... SWEET!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it. [Grumble]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad I didn't buy the single disc one. I wanted to, but I maintained the self-discpline I learned after a year of Karate lessons.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

This strengthens my resolve not to buy BSG seasons 2.0 and 2.5. (Beyond that, it actually tempts me to download something, for the first time in my life.) Firefly is worth paying double for, but BSG is not. If I wait long enough, they will come out with the season in one box at a reasonable price. Or they won't. *shrug*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it you just bought a copy of Serenity, Icarus?

I can't wait to get a copy of this, both to support Whedon and because I can feast on a little more new (to me) 'verse goodness.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! More crap to buy! [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Not "just," but I resisted buying it because I knew there would be a special edition and I would want it. Then I let people *cough* convince me that I should buy it because Whedon was saying there wouldn't be, and because lack of sales for the single-DVD edition made it less likely there would be a special edition.

I'm not sure I've even watched the damned thing since I bought it! [Grumble]

But hey, I want to support Firefly too. *shrug* It's okay, I guess. Heck, when I wear out CDs, I buy duplicates of them, rather than backing them up and then playing the home-made CDs, which would save me a lot of money. I figure that if I get so much enjoyment out of a CD that I wear it out, the artist deserves a bit more of my money, and I don't begrudge it. I have bought almost every Indigo Girls album twice, and a couple of them three times. I don't mind giving Whedon more money . . . too much.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew this would happen, which is specifically why I didn't buy it when it first came out.

I'll get the special edition though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt anyone would be surprised to know I've bought the movie several times, usually to give out as presents, and I bought the Australian version solely to get the extra extras (and the cool tin box).

What I want to see is a video only glimpsed in one of the documentaries on the Aussie version: the cast sitting around a table with Joss, reading through the script for the first time.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
And I was just watching Firefly tonight.

I know I'll be buying this. Atleast I can pass on my one-disc Serenity to a future fan.

Think of it as a chance to share the love.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I want to see is a video only glimpsed in one of the documentaries on the Aussie version: the cast sitting around a table with Joss, reading through the script for the first time.
Alan Tudyk: What do you mean, I'm a leaf in the wind?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Then I let people *cough* convince me that I should buy it because Whedon was saying there wouldn't be, and because lack of sales for the single-DVD edition made it less likely there would be a special edition.

I was under the impression that DVD sales were at least fairly good. Was I wrong about that?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

According to Joss, good enough for a special edition.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this is a Very Dumb Question, but what does "New Key Art" mean?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I haven't bought it yet, but I definitely buy the special edition.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I believe it means the cover art, which was widely mocked by the fans as being more suited to a schlocky B movie.
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the single disc assuming there would be a special edition release, and knowing I would buy that as well.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, Chris.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You'll need to do a good sales job when it comes out to get me to buy it. I love Serenity, but I'm not paying for it again unless the extras are very shiny.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I can tell you that the extras from the Region 4 disc -- which will be on the new release -- are excellent.

"A Filmmakers Journey - Journey with Joss from Script to Screen"
A walking tour of Serenity by Nathan, Alan, and Adam.
Extended scenes (not deleted scenes per se but longer versions of some of the scenes from the movie)
A documentary about the cinematographer Jack Green
And (I hope this is included) a 45-minute Q and A with Joss and an Australian audience just after they saw one of the preview screenings that is both hilarious and very revealing about why he made the choices he did for the movie and about his other works.

The special edition will also have commentary by at least some of the crew, and if Nathan is one of them -- and there may be some sort of revolt if he isn't -- well, did you watch the commentary versions of the Firefly episodes? If that was the only new thing, I'd buy it.

(However, I already knew that a second edition was possible early on. Joss told us before the first DVD came out that he apologized in advance for double-dipping but that while he wanted a full cast commentary Universal wanted the disc out before Christmas, so any good extra stuff would have to be on a later version.)

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Serenity on Opening day, watched it 3 times, then gave it to my brother (yes, THE brother) for Christmas. The only problem with this is my birthday is in June. Maybe I'll encourage people to preorder it for me on Amazon. Then my husband will get me a present anyway on the side.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly looked at the title of this thread for a good 2-3 seconds before I could see past "Serenity 2". It was like, "Serenity 2..." (gasp!!) ..."-disc Special Edition coming in July." (...oh [Frown] )
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

(((neo-dragon))) [Frown]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome news. I'm definitely going to give my copy of Serenity away and buy the new one. [Smile] I'm psyched for new commentaries and more cast stuff.

What I really want is the extended Firefly gag reel that's buried under layers and layers of faulty mirror sites online. But they wouldn't put that on a Serenity DVD. It would go on a 25th anniversary Firefly release. Or something.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

OK folks, we have details.

Serenity: Collector’s Edition (2-disc)
MSRP: $26.98
DVD-9
Anamorphic Widescreen
Audio: Dolby 5.1, DTS, Spanish 2.0, French 2.0

Bonus Material:
- Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Joss Whedon
- Extended Scenes
- Outtakes
- Take A Walk On Serenity
- The Green Clan
- Joss Whedon Intro
- We’ll Have A Fruity Oaty Good Time!
- Feature Commentary with Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau and Ron Glass
- Feature Commentary with Joss Whedon
- A Filmmaker’s Journey
- Future History: The Story Of Earth That Was
- Re-lighting The Firefly
- What’s In A Firefly?
- Session 416
- Sci-Fi Inside: Serenity

And the cover art, while not by the fan artist I was hoping for, is so much better than the original US one, despite the odd gun and Serenity apparently buzzing the moon of Earth-That-Was. I've got the pic at SerenityStuff.com.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the 3-disk one.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Mal's scary on that cover art!
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I'm waiting for the 3-disk one.

Why stop there? I think Whedon can make this thing bigger then the LOTR special editions.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.