FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Honor Thy Children (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Honor Thy Children
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
BB, that is not an umcommon understanding. I don't share it, though.

What that Adam and Eve could have spent a long period of time in the garden?

or

Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Old Testament and God dictated them to him?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

or

Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Old Testament and God dictated them to him?

I meant the latter, but it could apply to both.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
It's likely I misread you. I'll look at with the different perspective.
quote:
Squick, I, also, call it being an adult and a healthy individual. But I also think that the whole element of doing it yourself has a funddamental flaw... and it's also what I think people should be talking about hwen they say no one can be good without God.
Could you explain how this isn't saying that I can't be a healthy adult if I reject Jesus's sacrifice? If I can't do it myself _and incidentally, I pretty much agree with that particular sentiment), what else do I need?
Ok... I think I see where I was unclear.

Perhaps it's best if I, too, shift perspective.

Let's take it as a given that the story of Jesus is a pure myth, with no historical existence.

The story is the story of a god, who without reason or cause... perhaps I should say without any compulsion or obligation... loves his creation enough to, not only become one of them, and, through that, one *with* them, but to die for them, experiencing their lonliness and horror of death, so that they might be rejoined to him.

Again, the key being while they were *not* deserving. He doesn't do it because they ask him to, nor because He owes it to them, nor because they deserve t for being loyal and trustworthy. He does it because they need it and because He can do it. No other reason-- he simply loves them.

Now, we can believe in this thing-- that there is a Love which we do not deserve and cannot earn, or we can disbelieve it. I submit that a healthy and adult mind believes it. An unhealthy mind remains trapped in a loop to try to earn love, because humans, for whatever reason, hunger for it like they do food.

Whether it is metaphor or fact, I see the primary purpose of the incarnation and crucifixion as the description of an irrefutable love that applies to all people-- no one is so bad as to be beyond its reach, no one is so good as to be deserving of it, nor beyond need of the idea that they are loved.

Does that make more sense?

Put more simply, all humans need to be loved. Christianity, whether you view it as metaphor or sacrament, says, to the most monsterous of us: "you are loved... no matter what you have done. Receive that love and all will be well."

edit: once, long ago, you said I had a pelegian outlook... I think you see now why I disagreed with you on that [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Now, we can believe in this thing-- that there is a Love which we do not deserve and cannot earn, or we can disbelieve it. I submit that a healthy and adult mind believes it. An unhealthy mind remains trapped in a loop to try to earn love, because humans, for whatever reason, hunger for it like they do food.

Whether it is metaphor or fact, I see the primary purpose of the incarnation and crucifixion as the description of an irrefutable love that applies to all people-- no one is so bad as to be beyond its reach, no one is so good as to be deserving of it, nor beyond need of the idea that they are loved.

Does that make more sense?

Put more simply, all humans need to be loved. Christianity, whether you view it as metaphor or sacrament, says, to the most monsterous of us: "you are loved... no matter what you have done. Receive that love and all will be well."
[/QB]

I'm afraid I'm increasingly with Mr. Squiky on this -- you really do seem to be saying that I'm an unhealthy human if I reject Jesus' sacrifice (or, at least, if I don't find a metaphorical equivalent to accept).
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

or

I meant the latter, but it could apply to both.
How do you think we ended up with the book of Genesis? Just curious.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I think that culture, like many others, recorded their mythology, their stories of their relationship with God.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I think that culture, like many others, recorded their mythology, their stories of their relationship with God.

So do you consider parts or the whole of the Old Testament mythology?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Christine, for clarity's sake, I think it's unhealthy to be unable to accept love without deserving/earning it. This is, to my understanding, a common psychological idea and I 'm fairly sure I'm not alone in this.

What I am saying is that Christ's sacrifice, even if you view it as a mere myth, is precisely about love that you don't deserve. If you don't believe it happened, that's not unhealthy. Not believing in the particular point of the story I am emphasizing-- that love can not be earned, contracted for, or deserved-- *is* unhealthy, IMO.

Don't know if that makes it better, but hopefully it at least makes it clearer.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
If believing that love can be earned and deserved is unhealthy, then I am in horrible health and proud of it. Of course, I'm in horrible health anyways, but that's just a series of bad habits.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:

So do you consider parts or the whole of the Old Testament mythology?
I consider it some of everything. I started speaking of the Adam/Eve story, but the OT contains mythology, history, poetry, "how-to" manuals and much more. It is, I believe, more rightly understood as a collection of writings than as a single "book".

And when I use the terms "mythology" I don't mean fiction.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Jim say somewhere that Christ is the only way to feel loved?

I've looked. I don't see it anywhere here.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Thanks for the clarification, I agree the Old Testament cannot rightly be called ONE book.

I would say I believe Moses is the author of the first 5 books of the OT.

Would you indulge me further in explaining how you use the word "mythology?"

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
If believing that love can be earned and deserved is unhealthy, then I am in horrible health and proud of it. Of course, I'm in horrible health anyways, but that's just a series of bad habits.

But the flip side to that is that love can be taken away if one makes a mistake or a certain amount of mistakes, or fails. Gets old or fat or ill. Loses one's temper or has a bad day. Sins.

When I talk about unconditional love, it is not earned. This is not to say that we are bad, just that it isn't conditioned on our own perfection. That love will still be ours even if we screw up.

vonk
Member # 9027

Ok. I could see how unconditional love can't be earned, it just is. I was actually having a conversation that came to a similar point the other day. But deserved? How is unconditional love not deserved?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
mythology -- "the founding poetic narratives that provide the basic self-understanding of a society and its raison d'etre, foundational formulations of elemental reality that are to be regularly reiterated in liturgical form." Walter Brueggemann, paraphrasing Joseph Campbell.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I am using earned and deserved pretty much interchangably. "I have done nothing to deserve it", or "I haven't earned it." I don't mean "undeserving" as "I am scum". Though, if I were scum, I would still be loved.

More that love is independent of whether we earn it or deserve it.

It is a gift.

edit: Thanks, Dana. That works!

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Ok. I could see how unconditional love can't be earned, it just is. I was actually having a conversation that came to a similar point the other day. But deserved? How is unconditional love not deserved?

Because deserving something means you have met the requirements and conditions thereof. Unconditional would mean there are no conditions. The two concepts are a bit at odds with each other.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I think I'm confused and should just shut up, but I'm gonna try anyway. If God loves human beings unconditionally, wouldn't the condition be that they are human beings? "I deserve God's love because I am human and one of God's children. Rover on the other hand is S.O.L."

Also, can't someone deserve something that has no preset requirements? "I give fruitcakes to all of my neighbors during the holidays, but Jeromiah really deserves his because he rakes my leaves."

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
That sounds very Pelegian. Why do you think that it isn't? It certainly isn't Augustinian.

I'm having problems with your conception, I think largely because I've never had the idea that I needed to earn love or that it had to be proven (in the extra-strong case) to me.

Unconditionality is to me a core aspect of love that I've experienced and love that I've given. I don't see why such a demonstration would be necessary.

Aslo, I just don't agree with downplaying the redemption aspect of it. The common conception is that we needed this sacrifice to correct some flaw. I don't see this flaw in myself even though I specifically reject this sacrifice. If God is separating from me and wants to be with me, I'm right here. If he's a benevolent deity, I don't think he'll find me unwelcoming. But if we're talking about whether I need to redeemed, I don't accept that anyone can do that besides myself.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
It is a gift.

This. This. This.

Edit: It may be better to replace all the "you"s in the following with "me" and "I" because, really, I am talking about my experience again, which, as I said many times here, has colored my whole view of this thing.

As Kate has already said, saying that it is deserved implies that if you ceased to do something you wouldn't deserve it anymore. Thinking you deserve love is problematic in that it leads to thinking you can make someone love you-- after all you *deserve* it, right? And if only they'd just *see* that you deserve it, then they'd *really* love you. And when they don't see... maybe it 's because you just didn't do good enough... and you just need to try harder... and...

Thinking about it, perhaps this is the very mechanism by which the idea of proving love leads to the destructive and abusive behaviors Dagonee reference a couple of pages back.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

vonk: God loves everything tangible that he creates BECAUSE it is a part of him. I am sure if you asked God he could say he loves ever single thing he has created no matter how insignificant. The fact remains that he assembled it and it exists because of him.

I kind of see it as Ender describes it in EG. When you fully understand someone how can you do anything but love them? God understands everything and thus loves everyone as well as everything that exists within his realm of creation.

This love does not extend to actions that take place that involve his creations.

dkw: that definition is beyond me. It's worse that its a summary [Frown] I am currently looking up all the definitions of the words I do not know (including the french phrase) as well as words that I understand but don't fit for alternate definitions.

If somebody in the meantime wants to accurately simplify it I would be GREATLY appreciative.

vonk
Member # 9027

Harrumph. I deserve love way more than that rock does, plus I earned it! [Razz]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

BB, Dana's definition is richer, but this one (from the Concise OED) is okay:

traditional narrative usually* involving supernatural or fancied persons etc. and embodying popular ideas on natural or social phenomena.

*italics mine. When I speak of mythology in this context, I don't generally mean "fancied" persons.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I don't think there is a problem with thinking that you are worthy or deserve love. The problem is thinking that you will get this from a specific person. There is a need to realize that some people will not love you. But that's not because you don't deserve it or aren't worthy of it. Many times, it's because they have problems themselves.

I think the idea that so-and-so doesn't love me because I don't deserve it is a really awful one. If, on the other hand, you're talking about not being able to force someone to love you, than sure. But I don't see how that fits in the God thing.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, how’s this: a myth is a story with central importance to the identity of a people. It tells them who they are and why. It is repeated often, particularly during rituals or ceremonies.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I use a definition of mythology similar to Joseph Campbell's and it is not a concept that can be simplified much more than that. I also agree with him in that one of the problems with Western society's conception of religion is that they don't understand the role of myth and link it to falsehoods.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

BB, or how about "a story that conveys truth through the idea and emotional impact of its plot, rather than being a mere factual account."

Squick, the God thing comes in because some of us (and here I mean "me") are remarkably adept at convincing ourselves we are not loved. There is nothing I can do to a supernatural, omnipotent being to make him/her/it have an ulterior motive for loving me. It is simply, as Kate said, a gift to be received.

vonk
Member # 9027

God just wants you for the social status. You're a trophy follower.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I feel the need at this time to re-emphasize some things I said... specifically:
quote:
As for the Lewis quote... I believe Scott R posted it and, while I like that one,I view it very differently than you do and, indeed, than it reads. That is drastically colored by what I think Christianity means when it talks about dying to yourself and, in doing so, gaining your true self and true freedom. I do not know if my view is orthodox or would be applauded or derided nor by whom. I don't know for sure how to even explain it except to say that I think what Christianity means in self-denial and taking up your cross is essentially self defense: killing your false egos because if you don't they will kill you. That's a ludicrously simplistic summary, though, and admittedly VERY colored by my personal journey.

Pretty much everything I have posted about in this thread from those words on has been merely what I think is true... NOT necessarily orthodox or heretical WRT Christianity... just my personal opinions from spending a long time in Church and a long time in Therapy. Stuart is not a licensed counselor but he is a graduate of several 12 step programs. We assume no liability for damage to your property or person. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Thank you all for those simplified definitions. Still it feels as though "mythology" is not a good description of the Old Testament as it seems mythology is more concerned with ideas and concepts rather then factual details. While that could describe some of the Old Testament, I am not convinced it describes all of it.

I'd be more comfortable with the OT being, "A history of God's dealings with mankind containing mythological elements." Rather then, "A mythological historical account of God's dealings with mankind."

But YMMV

kmbboots
Member # 8576

BB, as I said above, mythology is only a part of the OT. But I do think that Scripture in general - the New Testament as well - are more significantly about ideas and concepts than facts.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Double post! Another thought on "deserving".

I think that some of the emphasis on our being "undeserving" is a reaction to the natural tendancy to equate being loved by God to good fortune. "I have a good life. God must love me best. I must be more deserving than that slob living under the train tracks." This way of thinking allows us to feel superior (and we love that!) and to disclaim any societal or personal responsibility for the slob. We even use the term "deserving poor" to separate some poor from...what?

So I think that Christianity does emphasize that we are all recipients of gift rather than earners for a good reason.

That religious institutions have sometimes manipulated this into, "you are undeserving, so you must grovel to the institution because we dole out God's gifts" is another story and another way I think we have "gotten it wrong".

PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a sad tendency for a great many Christians to rely on a view of an authoritarian god. It is an easy view to hold: to believe that there is a man up in the sky who keeps track of things is comforting.

This cannot be the case. If God were an authoritarian being in total control, I would assume things would be very different. I was admitedly raised in Church whose positions are mainline to liberal, but I do not recall anyone ever suggesting that human beings were not left free by God to act however they pleased. Jesus also seemed to clearly stress the degree of seperation between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of man.

Jesus did not teach hate, either for others or for self. Jesus told his followers to love eachother and to love God. He taught by example. Jesus, like the good parent, frequently showed his children that he loved them.

My view of God is a view of love. I do not believe in a man up in the sky looking down on me, but I do believe in a transcendent love.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My view of God is a view of love. I do not believe in a man up in the sky looking down on me, but I do believe in a transcendent love.
To me, this seems like a remarkably nonpersonified, non-conscious deity. Is that what you're meaning to describe? A God that is more a force of nature than an individual with thoughts and intent?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
About proof and love – Sure, substitute proof for ‘signs’ or ‘evidence.’ I was not talking about scientific, quantitative data or trying to break love down into something that can be measured. As a general rule of thumb, I think that you should not treat someone you love like shit.

I was offering evidence (taken from the Bible, purported to be the word of God) that this God, who you proclaim to be perfect love, is in fact, not. I can’t help but notice how many people resorted to saying things like, “God didn’t really kill 42 children with bears.” Or “Sure, the book of Lamentations says that God is the source of both good and evil, but that’s written from the stand point of a 15-month old. What they perceived as evil was really good.” It sounds to me like you’re in denial.

The church I was raised in believed that every word of the Bible is true. That it is The Word of God. I am surprised at how quickly so many here jumped to say that there are things in the Bible that are not true (I mean, wow, how do you know what to trust and what not to trust? I am surprised, but I do not think it is a bad thing). If the story of the flood is not true (just as an example), the fact that in the story God drowns the entire world except for a handful of people says to most people “Watch out, God is vengeful,” plus, “If you follow God, He will look out for you.” Both messages are present. I can’t believe how you are choosing to acknowledge one message and deny the other, when both have played a significant role in Christian thought.

In my original post I claim that the Christian God is authoritarian. People have tried to show me how they perceive God to not be authoritarian, but for the most part they have admitted that there are sects of Christianity that view God as authoritarian, and that there are Biblical scriptures portraying God as authoritarian. A lot of your arguments for God not being authoritarian are based around personal experience (which is fine and very interesting) and picking and choosing which parts of the scripture to believe and which parts to ignore (which is slightly frustrating, because part of my argument for denying God as an authoritarian would call for a (what I was taught to be very blasphemous) rewrite of the Bible, cutting out all those nasty, manipulative, authoritarian parts). Even if the story of Elisha and the bears is an urban legend that should not have been included, it doesn’t alter the fact that it was included and (along with many other stories and portrayals of God) helped open the door to the interpretation of God being vengeful and authoritarian that some humans have used to gain power over others. And you also have to wonder if this Christian God, if he is pure love, should have allowed for such things to have been written about him, especially since this authoritarian view of him has done so much damage to humans and even convinced some people to not believe in Him.

From Puppy -
“In any case, despite your laundry list, I don't believe that God defines goodness arbitrarily. I believe that goodness is an eternal concept that has existed forever, alongside God, and that God's choice to adhere to goodness is part of what makes Him God. Not the other way around.

I also believe that God is operating on a macro level that we often fail to understand. If allowing suffering to occur on Earth — or even if causing suffering to happen on Earth — is ultimately for our good on the eternal scale, then the validity of your examples dissipates.”

You are right, of course, if we change our base assumptions and now assume that
1. God is not all powerful.
2. God adheres to a concept of Goodness that exists along side of Him.
3. The suffering God causes is ultimately for our good.

Yes, if we believe those things are true, those nine things I listed lose validity. Well, some of them do. I am not sure that this concept of goodness that exists alongside God can forbid homosexuality. Show me how/why this concept of goodness deems homosexuality as a crime worthy of death. Use your own judgment now, use this concept of goodness you described and tell me why homosexuality is evil.

From Kmbboots -

“don't think that we should become someone we are not (I may disagree with Lewis here) I think God wants us to be who we are really are. Free from all the crap that gets in the way of our being fully ourselves. I think that God doesn't want us to abandon our own judgement, but for our judgement to mature so that it is more God-like.”

Not-so-loving things done by the Christian God –
Originally posted by DevilDreamt
4. Making homosexuality a sin (seriously, I don’t see how homosexuality being a sin could do anything other than bring misery and suffering into the world. If those who want to be are simply allowed to be, what harm would occur?)

It really does not work in my mind. Your claim: “God wants you to be who you really are.” Does not work very well with the extremely common Christian belief: “God will punish you if you are attracted to and love someone of the same sex.”

This is the best example I have of God forbidding us to be ourselves. I can’t see homosexuality being “evil” or “wrong” for any reason other than God happens to say that it is. It doesn’t conflict with any concept of Goodness Itself that I can think of.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Christine, for clarity's sake, I think it's unhealthy to be unable to accept love without deserving/earning it. This is, to my understanding, a common psychological idea and I 'm fairly sure I'm not alone in this.

What I am saying is that Christ's sacrifice, even if you view it as a mere myth, is precisely about love that you don't deserve. If you don't believe it happened, that's not unhealthy. Not believing in the particular point of the story I am emphasizing-- that love can not be earned, contracted for, or deserved-- *is* unhealthy, IMO.

Don't know if that makes it better, but hopefully it at least makes it clearer.

This is clearer, although I still can't entirely agree with it. I've not heard of a psychological norm that suggests that we must be able to accept love without deserving/earning it.

I mean, nobody is perfect and we have to be able to love people despite their flaws and be loved despite our own, but I think this all boils down to karma. You "earn" love by putting it out there in the world, by loving yourself, and by allowing others to love you.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, if we believe those things are true, those nine things I listed lose validity. Well, some of them do. I am not sure that this concept of goodness that exists alongside God can forbid homosexuality. Show me how/why this concept of goodness deems homosexuality as a crime worthy of death. Use your own judgment now, use this concept of goodness you described and tell me why homosexuality is evil.
It's odd that you would ask me to do this, given that I have never claimed that homosexuality is evil.

The division between "good" and "evil" is not the only issue in religion. There are also concepts of "helpful" versus "unhelpful", "earthly" versus "eternal", "practical" versus "impractical", etc. When a religion makes a rule, sometimes it's an issue of good versus evil, but you can't always assume that this is the case.

Mormonism, for instance, has a very strict dietary code. You can't worship in the temple if you drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, use harmful drugs, etc. Do we think that it is evil for people (particularly non-Mormons) to do these things? Not at all. The dietary code was given to us for our health, and as a means of building self-control. It is a help and a program of self-improvement, not an issue of good and evil.

Does that mean we are less bound by it because of that? No. As Mormons, we deliberately signed on and covenanted to abide by and promote this religious system, and therefore, we are honor-bound to continue to do so if we expect to actively participate in our faith. So it's an issue of integrity and the acceptance of a higher authority. But not an issue of good and evil.

Homosexuality is a similar (though not identical) situation for Mormons. To have homosexual desires and tendencies is not evil, and no one has said that it is. However, Mormons believe that sexual dimorphism in humans was specifically designed by God to reflect a broader eternal truth. We believe that to be a complete eternal being, one needs male and female counterparts, and that this is as immutable as any law of science. For someone to desire something else in this life is not evil ... but at the same time, the Church can't support it, because the Church's mandate is to prepare its members for eternal life. To support homosexual unions would fly in the face of our beliefs about the afterlife, and would essentially deny some of the foundational principles of our faith.

So I'm glad it is possible to believe that a behavior should not be permitted among members of your faith, and should not be promoted by your faith, without believing that the practitioners of that behavior outside your faith are inherently evil.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
DevilDreamt your points make sense to me...
There are various things that have BOTHERED me about Christianity since I was in Jr. high school and you seem to be highlighting some of them. Like when you compare God to a parent.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

DD, you are talking blythely about what Christians believe, yet here stand a whole slew of Christians (edit to add: of varying denominations, intensities, and levels of orthodoxy) who are saying "We don't believe that." And your response is to say that we are in denial?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So I'm glad it is possible to believe that a behavior should not be permitted among members of your faith, and should not be promoted by your faith, without believing that the practitioners of that behavior outside your faith are inherently evil.

I'm not sure the practical distinctions are so clear-cut, though, Geoff. While "evil" might still be a stretch, "inferior" is a pretty natural step.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrometheusBound
Member # 10020

- posted      Profile for PrometheusBound           Edit/Delete Post 
"A God that is more a force of nature than an individual with thoughts and intent?"

I think God is above thoughts and intent, and certainly above consciousness. I also think God is the very essence of thought and intent and consciousness.

Not impersonal, but superpersonal.

I have been reading Hans Küng's "On Being a Christian" as a Lenten devotion. It has been rather illuminating, although far from totaly so. Next year I plan to read some Paul Tillich, and something else the year after that.

Posts: 211 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DD, you are talking blythely about what Christians believe, yet here stand a whole slew of Christians (edit to add: of varying denominations, intensities, and levels of orthodoxy) who are saying "We don't believe that." And your response is to say that we are in denial?

Jim-Me said it best, I think. I've been watching the thread, and DD, it seems that you're pretty much convinced as to what "Christians" as a whole believe, and you also seem to think that the Christians here who don't believe that way don't fully understand their religion. It's a little frustrating.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
It's odd that you would ask me to do this, given that I have never claimed that homosexuality is evil.
[/QB]

I was asking everyone, not just you, but the Mormon point of view is very new to me, so I am particularly interested in what you have to say on the issue. I wasn’t saying that YOU think homosexuality is evil; I was saying that the Christian God as portrayed in the Bible thinks that homosexuality is evil.

Growing up in a more… fundamental Christian Church, here are some things I was taught about homosexuality:

Old Testament -
Leviticus 18:22 (King James Version)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 (King James Version)
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

New Testament -
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (New International Version)
9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 1:20-32 (New International Version)
20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
* 26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. *
28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

I quoted so much here because I wanted to show the context of the mention of homosexuality.

In Leviticus, homosexuality is called an abomination and an offense that deserves death. In 1 Corinthians, it is a forgivable offense that will keep you from inheriting the Kingdom of God, and in Romans, it is described as shameful, unnatural, and indecent, and (depending on whether or not it’s included with the other offenses discussed at the end) as deserving death as well.

I think it interesting that something can be offensive to God by virtue of it being "unhelpful," "earthly," and/or "impractical." It seems extreme for a loving God to punish people with death over an offense that as you put it, might not be an issue of good and evil.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

You know, even the most orthodox of Jews aren't running around in favor of putting homosexuals to death. If even someone so (liturgically) conservative and steeped in tradition as, say, Rivka, can talk to KarlEd (who is gay) without calling him an abomination that should be slain (as I have seen her do on many occasions), can you allow that there has been some development in our understanding of what we think God wants of us?

I also think it worth noting that Paul's lists are pretty inclusive... I mean sure, I can see how comparing homosexuals to those "full of envy murder, strife, deceit, and malice" can be pretty offensive... but Paul goes on to include "gossips, slanderers, [those who are] insolent, arrogant, and boastful, [those who] disobey their parents, ... senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless."

I would put forth that every ONE of us has been some of those things. I've been most at some point or another. If it's damning to be on that list, humanity is damned.

I guess it's a good thing these excerpts aren't the whole story.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by PrometheusBound:
I have been reading Hans Küng's "On Being a Christian" as a Lenten devotion. It has been rather illuminating, although far from totaly so. Next year I plan to read some Paul Tillich, and something else the year after that.

I used to own that... I wasn't able to get past the first few pages, though. I didn't find it offensive (I undertsand he was denounced as a theologian some time after writing that book, but I don't know if it was for what he wrote there)-- just dry. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. Feel free to e-mail me when you are through it all.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:

Jim-Me said it best, I think. I've been watching the thread, and DD, it seems that you're pretty much convinced as to what "Christians" as a whole believe, and you also seem to think that the Christians here who don't believe that way don't fully understand their religion. It's a little frustrating.

-pH

Being in denial, like the state of denial experienced as part of the grieving process, was not what I meant. I realize that’s how it sounded.

All I meant was that, when presented with scripture that seemed to portray God as evil, the popular defense was denying the divinity/reliability of scripture (i.e. saying that the people who recorded the scripture did a poor job because they were like 15-month olds, saying that some things included are simply urban legends, and saying that we should focus on the message that ‘God looks out for His followers, and we should ignore that part where a bunch of innocent people die.’) The response surprised me, but I don’t think it’s bad that people are throwing out those parts of scripture.

quote:
Originally posted by DevilDreamt:

I am surprised at how quickly so many here jumped to say that there are things in the Bible that are not true (I mean, wow, how do you know what to trust and what not to trust? I am surprised, but I do not think it is a bad thing).

And later in the same post:

quote:
Originally posted by DevilDreamt:

A lot of your arguments for God not being authoritarian are based around personal experience (which is fine and very interesting) and picking and choosing which parts of the scripture to believe and which parts to ignore (which is slightly frustrating, because part of my argument for denying God as an authoritarian would call for a (what I was taught to be very blasphemous) rewrite of the Bible, cutting out all those nasty, manipulative, authoritarian parts).

What is my intent? Well, to see how other people feel about these issues. I know what I was taught growing up, and there are people on here who have experienced this type of strict interpretation of the Bible, but many of you have developed a concept of God that goes well beyond the fundamentalist beliefs I grew up with. And I think that’s wonderful, I would like more people to adopt a less authoritarian view of God, even if it requires omitting scriptures that, for a long time, were considered immutable truths.

But first I have to be able to show why God is authoritarian, and why that is bad. This includes discovering which parts of scripture people will admit are authoritarian, manipulative, and coercive, and thereby reject. I figured that if I could provide enough evidence to show that God is authoritarian and that authoritarian is bad here, on this forum, I would be more likely to succeed somewhere else.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with the view of God you seem to be against...
There are so many aspects of Christianity and religion in general that bother me and offend my individual sense of how things such be.

But I can see how you can view God as an authoritarian and cruel figure, like a controlling parent telling their child they are whipping them for their own good, when it's still cruel and painful and unnessasary.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

DD, for whatever it's worth, I like your answer. Thanks.

I have more to offer, but I'm tired and losing focus now. I'll try again in the AM. For now, I'll just say that I have seen the Christianity you have described, but I have more often seen more nuance and compassion, even among fundamentalists, than what you have seen... and I am truly sorry that your experience has been so poor.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

DD, I can more specifically address your scriptural points tomorrow (when I am not posting from my phone) either in the thread or via e-mail if you prefer. For now, though, I want to make two points:

1) You haven't (and you won't) hear me say that homosexuality is inherently sinful. I don't think it is and I think that this is one area where the Church needs to grow in understanding.

2) There is a big difference between discarding or rejecting Scripture and understanding Scripture in context - where it came from, under what conditions, what kind of culture etc. This is not a new way to interpret Scripture. As a matter of fact, Biblical literalism is a relatively new thing.

[ March 07, 2007, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

heh... thanks again, Kate.

Her #2 is pretty much what I was putting off till this morning.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.