FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there still a 'Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess' for the Gamecube?

Author Topic: Is there still a 'Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess' for the Gamecube?
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so, I've wanted to get this game since it's my favorite game series ever! Yeah, some teenagers play grand-theft auto, some of the less violent ones may play metroid prime (It's ok, but kind of boring and lonely), but I like playing Zelda.

But, I digress.

I know that the game had a postponed release date, since it was coming out for the Wii, but is there still a version for the Gamecube that has been released? Or do I have to buy a Wii?

I know I should probably post this in a gaming forum at the Nintendo site or something, but I don't know of any, and besides, I just love you guys so much. [Big Grin]

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a GameCube version out there. It can be bought (as I know people who have it). I personally like the Wii version better myself.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother, who is Wii-less (does that make him a her? Not sure...), has the GC version. I have had the pleasure of playing it.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played both, but I don't have a wii, so I beat it on GC.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the GCN version. It's pretty good. I actually thought The Wind Waker was much better, though. *dodges the bricks thrown by legions of fanboys*

But what's this?

"It's [Metroid Prime] ok, but kind of boring and lonely."

=(

Metroid Prime was the best game of the past generation. It was also one of the best games of all time. My opinion is obviously obvective truth, so fear and tremble! How dare you defy Metroid Prime!

*realizes that he's acting the same part of the people that annoy the heck out him if somebody dares question their beloved Zelda series*

Okay, okay, I guess I can understand fanboyish ramblings, since they come out of my mouth as much as anybody elses. ^_^ Still, I do think that The Wind Waker is the better Zelda game and that Metroid Prime was the best game released for the last generation of consoles.

Oh, and on the subject of gaming forums, you might want to check out www.n-sider.com

It has a really good forum that's populated by people that actually, you know, think. We get really good discussions going on there, and also have a good time. It's sort of a Hatrack for us Nintendo fans out there. ^_^ If you do check it out, be sure to say hi to me: I go there as SenseiJinx.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice (And for the lack of indignant outrage at my posting a gaming topic on Hatrack).

I just don't like darker games... I played Metroid Prime on and off, and still haven't beat it... I really liked the storyline, but the game feels so dark and lonely. I really liked the second Metroid Prime game (Echoes, I think) Until I got to the space pirates. Then it got hard. <Whine>

It's a great game, one of the best for GC, I just never got into it. It wasn't a good fit for me. I like cheerful games... Scooby Doo: Night of 1,000 frights was too dark for me... Although I did beat it.

<Sigh> I guess I'm going to have to try playing it again, now that I've talked about it.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

Hey, that's fine. I didn't really mean to jump down your throat or anything. ^_^ It was mostly just a joke.

But yeah, I agree on the atmosphere of Metroid Prime. There were a few times when I almost gave up on that game. It scared me so bad! I really wasn't expecting it to do that to me. I certainly wasn't prepared for the creepy, mood, and lonely atmosphere.

Of course, those ended up being some of the main reasons I liked the game so much. ^_^

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I actually liked the creepy, lonely mood of Metroid Prime. It seemed well suited to the Metroid series; I mean being alone (more or less) on an entirely alien world. It was quite cool. It took me forever to beat though (I got stuck on one section where I kept dying just a few rooms before a save room, and I got frustrated to the point where I put the game aside for a year before coming back to it).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

Yeah, exactly. That's really the feeling that the Metroid series as a whole perpetrates. It wouldn't be Metroid without it! And that's what makes Metroid so good, IMNSHO.

Oh, and Nathan, just a warning: Twilight Princess also has a surprisignly dark atmosphere (mostly in the first half of the game). Not nearly as much as Metroid, but it did creep me out from time to time. It is a fantastic game though, so you really shouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, Twilight Princess is definitely darker than some Zelda games. In fact, there was one part at the end (which I won't spoil) where I was like "did they really do that?" because it didn't seem like something you'd see in a Zelda game.
aragorn64
Member # 4204

Heh, I think I know what you're talking about. Did you play The Wind Waker? There was something similar in that game that was even more surprising given the tone of that entire game.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I played Wind Waker, and the final battle did have a sort of surprise (given how light the rest of the stuff was). I was more referring to the Midna thing though (I wish I could add more specifics to make it less confusing, but every time I try I feel like I may be spoiling so I erase it). You probably get what I'm saying though.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
All hail Gannondorf!

Long live the Triforce!

And yeah, Long live Motherbrain!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Am I the only one who misses old blue pig Ganon? I mean I know he's still seen in some of the handheld Zelda games and Four Swords Adventure on the GameCube, but he hasn't been in any of the main console Zelda games since A Link to the Past. I want some giant blue pig demon wielding a trident of death and flaming bats.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear Pfresh!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

Actually, I prefer the human Ganondorf...

pfresh: Oh, gotcha. I see what you mean now. That was...unusual.

My biggest complaint with Twilight Princess was almost the complete lack of story and charecterization in the second half of the game.

Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
I got The Twilight Princess for Gamecube this past Christmas. It was fun. I liked the plot and the characters but it seemed so short to me. It took me about two or three weeks to beat it(all in all, about 35 hours according to the timer). The other Zelda's seemed to take so much longer and the puzzles were harder to beat. I remember getting to the end of Twilight Princess and thinking, is this really it? This can't be the end.
I expected something else to happen. But it didn't.

I was a little disappointed.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Am I the only one who misses old blue pig Ganon? I mean I know he's still seen in some of the handheld Zelda games and Four Swords Adventure on the GameCube, but he hasn't been in any of the main console Zelda games since A Link to the Past. I want some giant blue pig demon wielding a trident of death and flaming bats.

I don't think that was actually Ganon. When Ganondorf, a human, goes into the dark world without the moon pearl, he transforms, like everyone else. Link becomes a rabbit. Ganondorf becomes a pig.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Except in the original Legend of Zelda, he was in Hyrule and he was the blue pig Ganon. It's only in Link to the Past that he's in the Dark World, and it's debatable whether at that point if he even had a human form anymore (as the various crystal girls talk about how he used to be a man called Ganondorf, but now he's been fully corrupted and such).

It seems that last few major console games with Ganon/Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess) predate Link to the Past and the original Legend of Zelda as far as chronology goes, so that may be why we haven't seen the blue pig Ganon in a while. I miss the guy. These sort of brown, pig-like transformations of Ganondorf just aren't enough.

EDIT: I just wanted to say how I could see how you might interpret the "Ganondorf was a man" thing into being about him being transformed by the Dark World. The problem is that the story of A Link to the Past talks of Ganon and his army entering the Golden Land (where the Triforce was held) and corrupting it into the Dark World. We have no clue whether the Golden Land has transformative powers or not and since he's referred to as Ganon and not Ganondorf in this part, I just assumed that he had been fully transformed into blue pig Ganon by this point. I could be wrong though; I just haven't seen much proof to that effect yet.

[ March 03, 2007, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: pfresh85 ]

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Not much evidence either way, but if what I understand of the Moon Pearl is correct, it is the only way that someone could walk into the Dark World unchanged. Therefore, I make the assumption that in LTTP, Ganon/Ganondorf is transformed. In OoT, WW an TP, Link battles both Ganondorf the man and Ganon the Beast. Maybe the assumption in LTTP and LoZ is that they have fused and become one. Or maybe it's just a continuity error that we're reading way too much into. [Wink]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well my problem with that is that the Dark World didn't become the Dark World until Ganon and his forces invaded and took over. Before that time, it was the sealed Golden Land. To me, it seems that the whole "everything and everyone turns into a beast in the Dark World" thing is more of a Ganon thing to do than a thing inherent to the Golden Land. I don't have proof for this idea, but there also isn't proof against it. You are probably right in that we are making too much of this. I just miss the blue pig Ganon. The beast Ganon forms in the Ganondorf fights of recent games just aren't the same.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Well my problem with that is that the Dark World didn't become the Dark World until Ganon and his forces invaded and took over. Before that time, it was the sealed Golden Land. To me, it seems that the whole "everything and everyone turns into a beast in the Dark World" thing is more of a Ganon thing to do than a thing inherent to the Golden Land. I don't have proof for this idea, but there also isn't proof against it. You are probably right in that we are making too much of this. I just miss the blue pig Ganon. The beast Ganon forms in the Ganondorf fights of recent games just aren't the same.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. LTTP is my favorite Zelda game for many reasons, and that's one of them. All hail the blue pig.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

LTTP is my favorite as well, although I love all the Zelda games (even Zelda 2 [Razz] ).
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

AYAAH! (head asplodes)
Actually, I like that one too...

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I take it back. I don't love the CDi Zelda games. Blah.
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

I liked the lonely feeling too (In Metroid Prime)... Just not all at once. LOL

Ummm... I thought the Ocarina of Time was creepy at times (Fear the Forest dungeon! And the Shadow Dungeon! And that creepy hand thingie that comes out of the roof!)

The Windwaker was the first game of Zelda I played <Bows head in shame>. I never had a N64, so I had to get the Master Quest thing for GC... BTW, I thought the Master Quest was easier than the other version.

Now I just want to get Majora's Mask, although I heard it's really annoying. I just Love Zelda!

I've always wondered though, what is the difference between Ganon and Ganondorf?

pfresh85
Member # 8085

As far as I know (and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), Ganondorf is just a man (a prince of thieves, a Gerudo, etc.) who both lusts after the power of the Triforce and who at some point attains it to some extent (depending on which game). Ganon is typically the more beast-like form that he degenerates into. In LTTP, I thought it was implied that Ganondorf had degenerated into being Ganon fully because of the corruption of the power he was wielding (although I could be wrong). But yeah, the simple answer is Ganondorf = man, Ganon = pig monster demon thing.

As for Majora's Mask, it's great. Prior to Wind Waker, it was my favorite 3D Zelda. The whole 3 day cycle and masks that change your abilities/forms aspects are quite awesome. The game doesn't have as many dungeons and such as the other Zelda games, but because of the mask system you do get to meet and know a lot of the town people (and their schedules) a lot better than in other Zelda games.

aragorn64
Member # 4204

Nathan: Yeah, do play Majora's Mask. It can be annoying and frustrating, but it's my favorite Zelda game. It's really quite incredible, but if you don't like doing a lot of side quests and stuff you may not like it.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Well I take it back. I don't love the CDi Zelda games. Blah.

The first Zelda game was pretty Blah for me. Adventure of Link had a little bit more to it. I have the GBA version, which is a little easier to use. [Wink]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

They made a GBA version of Adventure of Link? Are you sure? I'm going over portable Zelda games, and the only port one I can think of is the LTTP/4 Swords combo GBA game. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall any others. The first two Zeldas (along with Majora's Mask) were released on one of the special Zelda discs on the GameCube.

I liked the first Zelda, other than the long searches to find dungeons (it took me forever to find the last few). Adventure of Link I didn't like as much, just because I found it quite a bit more difficult, although I'm not sure why. It was still a good game though. The CDi Zelda games are just trash though. If you haven't seen them, check Wikipedia or just Google Zelda and CDi. It's one of the few times Nintendo shouldn't have farmed their franchise out to another group.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally broke down and bought the GC version of Twilight Princess. I was holding out until I could get my hands on a Wii but I finally had to give up. I logged 6 hours last night while my kids, roomate, and girlfriend all made fun of me. But the game is fantastic. Fun gameplay and interesting story line. Would much rather be playing on the Wii but still enjoying it on the GC.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
They made a GBA version of Adventure of Link? Are you sure? I'm going over portable Zelda games, and the only port one I can think of is the LTTP/4 Swords combo GBA game. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall any others. The first two Zeldas (along with Majora's Mask) were released on one of the special Zelda discs on the GameCube.

I liked the first Zelda, other than the long searches to find dungeons (it took me forever to find the last few). Adventure of Link I didn't like as much, just because I found it quite a bit more difficult, although I'm not sure why. It was still a good game though. The CDi Zelda games are just trash though. If you haven't seen them, check Wikipedia or just Google Zelda and CDi. It's one of the few times Nintendo shouldn't have farmed their franchise out to another group.

Adventure of Link, along with the first Zelda, was released as part of the Classics series for the GBA. It actually played really well. I never played CDi Zelda, and I'm really not likely to.
The Zelda Collectors Edition for the Gamecube contained Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Oh, I forgot about the Classic series. Stupid mistake on my part. [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.