FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you were to be marooned on an uninhabited island and could take 3 books, (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you were to be marooned on an uninhabited island and could take 3 books,
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
what would they be?

Your friend, who is also to be marooned on this island, is taking along the texts relevant to your religion, so there's no need to choose those.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the Places You'll Go...

The Farmer's Almanac...

A blank journal, with an everlasting pen...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I would take a survival book. For the other two I would just take the very biggest books I could possibly find.

I could very well use the paper (hey, every resource counts on a deserted island, right?) and the survival book might come in handy as well.

My first priority would be surviving, which is why I would choose those three.

(Yes, I know, I'm such a party pooper.)

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
If by uninhabited you mean no people, then:

Encyclopedia of poisonous faura and fauna, right off the bat.

A Survival Handbook.

The Lord of the Rings complete trilogy in one book. I mean, lots of paper can help with survival.

If you by uninhabited you mean no wildlife, then I want to bring a Vegan Cookbook, a Survival Handbook, and still the LotR trilogy.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bring some sort of survival handbook, a manual for rudimentary ship construction, and a book on elementary naval navigation.

Or Creating Teleportation Devices 101.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Okay folks, you're missing the point of the game with the survival books. [Wink]

Let's assume that your friend can show you everything you need to know about living comfortably on the island.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
The Complete Works Of Robert Heinlein.

Joy Of Cooking: Old, Not New Edition

The Baroque Cycle.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The Neverending Story

House of Leaves

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings

Dostoyevsky's The Idiot

Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.

I'd be really tempted, though, to take Mark's Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, or something huge and encyclopedic like that. They have current Wikipedia on dvd, would that count?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings

The Complete Works of Jane Austen (if that's cheating, then Pride and Prejudice)

My Norton Introduction to Literature, which includes the Intros to short fiction, drama, and poetry. If that's cheating, then the Intro to Poetry. But I'd memorize "Terence, This Is Stupid Stuff" before leaving for the island, since that poem is foolishly not included in that otherwise wonderful anthology. [Smile]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh Liz! Are you a Housman fan too? I hate it that I left Housman behind. He's so good! I might have to smuggle The Complete Works in somehow. Maybe I'll just memorize it before I go. It's not that long, and I've got a good start already. [Smile]

Oh, when I was in love with you
Then I was clean and brave
And miles around the wonder grew
How well did I behave.

And now the fancy passes by
And nothing will remain
And miles around they'll say that I
Am quite myself again.

<3 <3 <3 Housman!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore Housman. [Smile] Lately I've been loving Elizabeth Bishop, too, particularly the brilliant "One Art."
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would take three blank books full of paper, assuming I'm also permitted a few pencils.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Cryptonomicon, The Chronicles of Amber, The Man who was Thursday

edit: Hogfather, and More than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are honorable mentions and might make it in, some days, by virtue of being significantly longer than Thursday

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Building Your Perfect Raft without Tools
How to Find a Date in an Uninhabited Area

OK, more in keeping with the intention of the q:

My own self-help book.
Democracy in America. I haven't read it, and it would take a while.
The Complete Works of Somebody Who Wrote a Lot. Maybe Shakespeare.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Les Miserables, Hugo (in French so I could savor it longer)

Ficciones, Jorge Luis Borges

The Chronicles of Narnia

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Maps in a Mirror-Orson Scott Card.
The complete works of William Shakespeare.
A diary for myself.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Piano Tuning and Maintenance
The Psychology of Child Rearing
Computer Programming Fundamentals: (Java AND C++)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
No survival books, gotcha.

A book on basic radio technology, most especially How-To! [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Encyclopedia volumes X Y & Z

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maliam
Member # 9915

- posted      Profile for Maliam   Email Maliam         Edit/Delete Post 
Enders War(or what ever the title is for the book that has Enders Game and Speaker in one book)

The Black Jewel Trilogy: Anne Bishop (in one book)

and

A notebook computer with satlite linkup(guess that would be considered cheating but hey its a book) or something I've never read before that seems to be really good and long.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Democracy in America. I haven't read it, and it would take a while.
As I find most of De Tocqueville, it's good reading. [Smile] I think you'll enjoy it.

I'd probably bring The Lord of the Rings, I, Jedi, and maybe Les Miserables.

It's hard to say though. Why am I only allowed three books? I can carry more than three.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
It's hard to say though. Why am I only allowed three books? I can carry more than three.
Because it's an international flight with new security restrictions. Each of your books can only be 3.7 ounces and they have to all fit inside a large plastic zip-loc inside your caryy-on luggage.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Professor's guide to making Radios from Coconuts with a forward by Gilligan and a centerfold--er--applications photograph featuring Mary Ann.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Given no survival books and no religious texts, I'd choose

Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion
Voltaire's Candide
Quine's Mathematical Logic

Although I'd also love some blank paper and a basic medical text.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your friend, who is also to be marooned on this island, is taking along the texts relevant to your religion, so there's no need to choose those.
It's important enough for me that I don't know if I'd be willing to trust that my friend followed through.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hmmm. Maybe there could be an oddly beneficent and religious multi-millionaire who has devoted much of his inheritance to donating religious texts for people marooned on islands? Perhaps you could visit the island in advance to assure yourself that the texts are intact, and then you could send off for the three texts of greater frivolity.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever three texts will last longest as a supply of toilet paper.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I take it back. I'd take the book that links to Myst and I'd also carry a couple of anchor books for Dunny.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

I'd be really tempted, though, to take Mark's Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, or something huge and encyclopedic like that. They have current Wikipedia on dvd, would that count?

Ok. There's a computer on the island, with no internet access.
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
quote:
Because it's an international flight with new security restrictions. Each of your books can only be 3.7 ounces and they have to all fit inside a large plastic zip-loc inside your caryy-on luggage.
Um, yeah. For that reason. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No survival manuals. [Angst] No religious texts. [Eek!]

Hmmm.

Assuming my survivalist, pastoral-type friend is also my romantic interest [Big Grin] , then I can leave Diana Gabaldon at home, and instead take . . .

The Gate to Women's Country , Sheri S. Tepper
Lonesome Dove , Larry McMurtry
Father Joe, The Man Who Saved My Soul , Tona Hendra

Can I take large ziplock bags to keep 'em dry in?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If there's a computer, can't I bring a big jumpdrive with a bunch of ebooks and some games maybe?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
The final book of the Alvin Maker series, if it ever gets written.

Diane Duane--So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Typee, obviously.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
The Greatwinter Trilogy by Sean McMullen
The Complete Works of Robert Heinlein
and The Ultimate Hitchhikers' Guide.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Counter Bean
Member # 10176

- posted      Profile for Counter Bean           Edit/Delete Post 
Penthouse Letters Anthology
600 Hustler Ceterfolds
Original DM Guide

Posts: 231 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the real one, not the novel written by Adams)
The Index of the Oversoul

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Great idea, mph! I didn't think of fictional books! I totally want Nell's primer, the advanced version that's fully AI enabled.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh, if we can have fictional books I want the Red Book of the Westmarch, fully updated.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings - in one volume, of course.

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, also in one volume.

An Anthology of Poetry. Not sure which one, just something that would include selections from some of my favorites plus some poets I've never read before.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I should take the Lord of the Rings (one volume with all appendices)

The complete works of Chaucer, in oirginal Middle English - I think it would take me a good few years just to read on Tale...

And the Deathworld Trilogy by Harry Harrison. Deathworld III was the second ever SF book I read...

Assuming that the island already had copies of Das Kapital, Mein Kampf, the Bible, the Koran, an appropriate selection of Jewish texts (not sure which), the SAS survival guide and a selection of Ray Mears publications...

For those who grew up in the UK and listened to Desert Island Discs on BBC Radio 4 you will recognise the format: They allowed you 10 favourite "discs", vinyl of course, 45 by preference. You also received the complete works of Shakespeare, the Bible and were permitted one luxury item.

My luxury item would be a suuply of Fuller's London Pride bitter. Nothing better to toast a hard day of log house building than a cool pint on the beach...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne

An Anthology of Poetry

The Complete Works of Shakespeare (including Sonnets)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:
I'd bring some sort of survival handbook, a manual for rudimentary ship construction, and a book on elementary naval navigation.

Or Creating Teleportation Devices 101.

Would that be Creating Teleportation Devices from Bamboo and Coconuts 101 by T. Professor?

I think a copy of How to keep your dry-clean-only wardrobe in tropical conditions is also a must.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take the complete and unabridged A Song of Ice and Fire (actually, I'd probably be willing to go and live on a deserted island for a period of years in exchange for said volume). I'm paralyzed with indecision as to what the other two books would be, but that one's a given.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
An Anthology of Poetry. Not sure which one, just something that would include selections from some of my favorites plus some poets I've never read before.
Might I recommend Good Poems by Garrison Keillor?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd take the complete and unabridged A Song of Ice and Fire (actually, I'd probably be willing to go and live on a deserted island for a period of years in exchange for said volume). I'm paralyzed with indecision as to what the other two books would be, but that one's a given.
I am so in support of this you have no idea! I would hop on a boat, demand the books in exchange for passage off the island, and then we all win!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Just give me a couple of weeks to read it cover to cover and I'll gladly loan it to you for passage off the island.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I don't think I'd want a book with me. I think I would have a hard enough time surviving that I wouldn't want something with me that could potentially distract me for large portions of the day. I can imagine saying to myself that I'll shoot the flare off to signal the ship as soon as I get to a good stopping point in the book.

Although, if I had to take some books with me, one that comes to mind is The Count of Monte Cristo for several reasons, one of which would be that it might help me to find motivation to survive in case I start giving up hope, even if that motivation is based on hatred and revenge.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
A survivalist book

The complete set of the encyclopedia britanica (The pages would help me start fires easier)

Another Complete set of the encyclopedia Britanica, for use after I burn the pages of the first one.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The real question is, what three types of sandwich would you bring with you (packed in nullentropy bins, of course, to preserve freshness).
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Sandwich? Can I have three?

----

Croimminy crocks, you'd think I could read the question before I started nattering off. [Blushing]

Classic Cuban sandwich
Memphis barbeque topped with cole slaw
Toasted gouda cheese with fresh tomato slices

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.