FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Drug of Choice (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My Drug of Choice
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
CT, I've been tested for everything, and while several doctors have concluded (mostly by process of elimination) that something autoimmune is going on with me (and most of my family), none of them know what it is.

I figured as much; I was talking to lurkers as much (if not more) than to you.
quote:
I would add that while it's true that these things are fairly common, I would guess that it's not as common to have MOST of them in ALL the women and some of the men in the last three generations of your family.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see this reported -- I'd agree not as common, but still not unusual enough to pick out one thing. But that's an educated guess, not an evidence-based assessment.

----
Edited to add:

[By the way, I pointed these out as common not to argue with the hypothesis that they were connected, but rather (and explicitly) to note that they could be connected with any number of things. That is not to imply that there isn't something autoimmune running in your family. Far from it; I am in no position to evaluate you or yours! [Smile] I just don't think the list picks out any specific disorder, which sounds consistent with what you have already been told.

Additionally, commonality wouldn't rule out any given particular diagnosis, quid's no less than any other. Of course.]

[/end additional edit]

----
quote:

On another note, is fibromyalgia recognized as a real disease now? I thought that there were still people who didn't believe in it.

It is not a disorder that has clearly objectively definable criteria, and so that will naturally lead to a greater splay of diagnostic comfort. However, I do think a consensus is emerging that there is something [whatever that may be] at play that underlies many of the disorders that are comorbid with (or blend with) fibromyalgia, such as chronic fatigue syndrome.

The eMedicine article on Fibromyalgia is an excellent summary of the emerging consensus on the research. It's a good read, too.

[ March 12, 2007, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Just for clarity, especially since this can be a sensitive subject sometimes:
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Of note, it's a list of complaints that are common to many disorders, particularly systemic ones like those with an autoimmune component. ... Not that it isn't real, just that there is a huge category of disorders with somewhat overlapping symptoms.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.