FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Being Human (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Being Human
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah, I hate the thread title change, it's confusing when you're looking for a short title with only two words in it.

Picking your nose is a human trait which is neither humanising nor de-humanising. (If that's a word.) Caring for children is a human trait which is humanising, even though it's not unique to humans. Genocidal killings is a human trait, again not unique to humans, which is de-humanising. And religious belief is a human trait which is de-humanising, though to a smaller degree than genocide.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm. We're working with a fairly and fully subjective declaration when we're saying that religious belief is dehumanizing. Doubly so if we are declaring that it is a purposeful intent on the part of the believer to be less than human.

But, of course, it's only why I found the original statement to be errant or substanceless.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men, that was just... inane and unnecessary. I'm an atheist, but religion isn't more or less evil than any other human institution. Get over it already.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
I doubt I would act very differently at all to anyone that still fell under that definition - the question would be would the boundaries of the definition change. But I'd have to think about this for a long time, and I'm not sure even then I'd be capable of answering accurately.

Fair enough.
However, your viewpoint is interesting enough that I do await your response at your earliest, um, convenience for lack of a better word.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, I haven't forgotten about my promised posts, just FYI.

And KoM, I prefer the shorter title too (and the joke has run its course now anyway. I'll revert back to the original title.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I have an idea of the direction you'll go, and am curious to see what you have to say as it seems that it might have some relevance to my conception of morality/religion.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Noemon, I just sent you a note. [Smile]

(I thought the longer title was funny, and I will mourn its passing with large, soft, wet tears, but so it goes. Even titles must pass. [Wink] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
BlackBlade, I'm reposting this, just in case you didn't see it:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I do believe all animals and plants have souls, but I am not sure if bacteria do.

I see the moles as a chemical process of a biological nature. Similar to bacteria or viruses, but I tend to side on the "unliving" end up the spectrum for those things.
I do not think a cluster of cells that even reproduces by itself is a living entity.

So, by your definition of "living," something must have a soul in order to be alive? And so, for example, a daffodil plant counts as alive because it has a soul?

(Not mocking, not trying to trip you up, just trying to understand. [Smile] )

I saw this and my previous post was partially written to respond to it, but I confess I am not sure if I myself have a precise answer. As far as I am certain, anything that possesses a soul could accurately be called alive. The extent of things that possess souls is an answer I do not have.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough -- I'm working on making sense of my own thoughts on this, as well. [Smile] Thanks.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread. I'd get involved but I'm in the midst of "end quarter crunch time". [Wink]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.